• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Studying for my SAT II Physics

i'm studying for my SAT II Physics on June 7, 2008. and taking practice tests from REA.
i had trouble understanding this question. please help :) it would be VERY appreciated.

Homework Statement

Two charges are separated by 2 m. The force of attraction between them is 4 N. If the distance between them is doubled, the new force between them is...
A) .5 N
B) 1 N
C) 2 N
D) 4 N
E) 8 N

Homework Equations

Force = [K(Q1)(Q2)] / (R^2)
the formula is on http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/chapter13section2.rhtml under Coulomb's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm sorry, i really couldn't figure out. it's probably a simple question, and i just can't see it.

PLEASE HELP!
thank you SO much :biggrin:

Answers and Replies

Hello,
You are given the distance = 2m. In Coulomb's Law the distance is R.
Now, if the distance doubles, then will the force increase or decrease(i.e. will it be greater or equal to 4N)? and by what factor?

Ummm....the force would decrease because the force is inversely proportional to the square of distance. And it would decrease by a factor of 1/16, right?

alphysicist
Homework Helper
Hi oceanflavored,

It would decrease, and the new denominator is 16, but that's not the factor that the force decreased by. You have to take into account what the force was originally.

eureka!! (i think!)

okay, i think i get this:
if the distance increases by a factor of 2, the force would decrease by a factor of (1/2)^2 or (1/4)
so the new force would be 4 x (1/4) = 1 N
yessssss???

Yes, that's correct.

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
okay, i think i get this:
if the distance increases by a factor of 2, the force would decrease by a factor of (1/2)^2 or (1/4)
so the new force would be 4 x (1/4) = 1 N
yessssss???
Hi oceanflavored! :smile:

yessssss!!! :biggrin: