Studying for some area which seems not right for you

In summary, the speaker is a university student who is passionate about physics, math, engineering, and other subjects, but feels that their current degree program is not challenging enough and does not align with their interests. They often spend their free time studying advanced concepts and subjects outside of their curriculum, which has caused some tension with those around them. They hope to one day be able to pursue more challenging material within their degree, but for now, they will continue to study what they are passionate about.
Weslley
Hey everyone. I just found out about the forum and already discovered a lot of good and useful content. Anyway, is anyone in or studying for some area of knowlegde which just seems that it's not the right thing for you? And that physics, astronomy, mathematics or, perhaps, other fields related are what you want to spend your time doing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you implying that you are?

I can relate. Before I get into university, I already started self-learning physics, math, engineering and other stuffs. I plan to get into research area. Without a degree, it'll be harder. Now, I'm studying electrical engineering in an university. Every day it's a "torture" to sit down, re-learn and doing all those trivial things that I've already learned before. I don't feel like I'm learning anything substantially useful at the moment. The curriculum is even less rigorous than how I learned the subject before. BTW, I'm not saying that attending university is a bad idea, it looks like I'm the only student who has this problem, while others are having very good review towards their uni life/experience. Maybe I'll also change my view towards my university when the curriculum gets harder or when things get more practical in later year, but let's talk about what's happening at the moment.

Whenever there are assignments, I am always the first to complete so that they don't bother me for too long. During free time, I don't study for exam, I study many other things that are not even in my degree's curriculum, e.g. some post-graduate level maths, advanced physics, computer science, machine learning etc. People around me consider studying these as something not right for me because it won't help in exam and I partially agree with them because the reason I attend university is to get good result so that I can do my master/phd degree at better university. I know I should put more time to "polish up" my degree but at the same time, my mind cannot stop myself from learning other things that interest me, although they're not so useful, even in my daily life. (This addiction to learning is also a reason why I was able to quit gaming in the past.) This kind of ironic situation gets me into "depression" for many times already ... I just hope that I can soon learn the advanced materials that are more challenging in the later year of my degree. Meanwhile, I'll just keep studying things that seems "not right" for me so that I don't regret not doing them now in the future.

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.” --- John Lennon

1. Why is it important to study for an area that seems not right for me?

Studying for an area that seems not right for you can provide you with valuable skills and knowledge that can be applied to other areas of your life. It also helps to broaden your perspective and can lead to unexpected opportunities.

2. How can I motivate myself to study for an area that doesn't interest me?

It can be helpful to set specific goals and break down your studying into smaller, manageable tasks. Additionally, try to find some level of interest in the subject, even if it's just a small aspect. You can also seek out study groups or connect with others who are passionate about the topic.

3. What resources are available to help me study for an area that isn't my forte?

There are many resources available, such as online tutorials, study guides, and academic support centers. You can also reach out to a mentor or teacher for guidance and additional resources.

4. How can I overcome the fear of failure when studying for an area that doesn't come naturally to me?

Remind yourself that it's okay to make mistakes and that failure is a natural part of the learning process. Focus on the progress you are making and celebrate small victories. Seek support from friends and family, and remember that failure can often lead to growth and improvement.

5. Can studying for an area that doesn't seem right for me actually benefit my career?

Absolutely! Many skills and knowledge gained from studying for an area that doesn't seem right for you can be transferable to other areas and industries. It can also demonstrate your adaptability and willingness to learn, which are highly valued by employers.