Studying for the FE test, never learned LaPlace Transforms.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of LaPlace transforms in the FE test and the difficulty of learning it quickly. The formula and process for using LaPlace transforms is explained, as well as the significance of the change in independent variable. It is also mentioned that the inverse LaPlace transform requires knowledge of complex analysis and is typically done through partial fraction expansions and tables.
jasc15
I began studying with a friend of mine for the FE (fundamentals of engineering) test and we began with the math section. We came across a LaPlace transform problem and we had never learned it before. Is this something I can learn relatively quickly (within the week)? I have taken calculus 1 2 & 3 as well as differential equations, although its been about 2 years since I've actually used any of it. I'll have to dig up my old calculus books for sure, but i just wanted to know the level of difficulty of LaPlace transforms.

Physics news on Phys.org
Easy, if you know how to do limits and integration.

Just remember the formula:

[tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-st}f(t)dt[/tex]

[tex]f(t)[/tex] will probably be given and you'll be asked to find its Laplace transform.

Stick it in the above formula, evaluating between 0 and T, then take the limit of the answer as [tex]T\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

Thanks a lot. I've seen tables for common transforms, are they just the worked out integrals for common f(t)'s?
Edit: I also notice that after the transform, the independent variable changes. What is the significance of this?

Last edited:
You go from the time domain (t) to the frequency domain (s).

edit: you'll probably want to do the inverse to get back to the time domain in some questions - go through an engineering math textbook and you'll get the idea.

Last edited:
My differential equation teacher put it something like this:

The Laplace transform is a machine that eats differential equations and ouputs algebraic expressions.

With circuits it simplfies things dramatically because you work in the s domain, hence the change of variable.

The inverse laplace transform requires a course in complex analysis, so typically you will instead go through the back door and learn how to do partial fraction expansions, and use tables to get back to the time domain.

A basic rundown of what you typically use it for is,

1) Use Laplace transform (typically using tables) to convert from t-domain to s-domain.
2) Perform necessary algebra.
3) Partial fraction expansion of expression, and perform inverse Laplace transform to convert (typically using tables) from s-domain to t-domain.

Related to Studying for the FE test, never learned LaPlace Transforms.

What is the FE test?

The FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) test is a comprehensive exam that engineers must take in order to become licensed. It covers a wide range of topics and is designed to assess basic engineering knowledge.

Why is studying for the FE test important?

Studying for the FE test is important because passing it is a requirement for obtaining an engineering license. It also ensures that engineers have a strong foundation of knowledge in their field, which is essential for their career success.

What are LaPlace Transforms?

LaPlace Transforms are mathematical tools used to solve differential equations. They are commonly used in engineering and other scientific fields to model and analyze complex systems.

Why is it important to learn LaPlace Transforms for the FE test?

LaPlace Transforms are a fundamental topic in engineering and are frequently tested on the FE exam. They are also useful in solving real-world problems and understanding complex systems, so mastering them is crucial for an engineer's career.

How can I learn LaPlace Transforms for the FE test?

There are many resources available for learning LaPlace Transforms, including textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It is important to find a method that works best for you and to practice regularly in order to fully understand and apply this topic.