DVD Writer Troubleshooting: Finding the Cause of Burning Issues

In summary, the person's DVD writer has been causing issues with burning discs. Initially, they were able to successfully burn Sony DVDs, but then some started getting ruined. They also tried using lower quality discs, but still had some issues with the Sony ones. They now have a mix of working and damaged DVDs, and they are wondering if their DVD writer is the problem. They are hesitant to just throw it away and want to find a way to determine if it is functioning properly.
ank_gl
my dvd writer seems to have gone mad. i burned 5 sony dvd's first n they all were fine, then the next one got thrashed and then 2-3 dvd's got wasted. again few next dvd's were fine. all my dvd's were of sony. things continued. now i have about 10-12 fine working dvd's and same number of "REALLY BURNED" dvd's. i even tried some low grade dvd's, they were fine n few sony dvd's got blown up.
i don't think anything is wrong with the dvd's, i mean so many can't go wrong, can they??
is there anyway to find out if my dvd writer is working properly or not:confused::confused:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Not easily - the writers are so cheap now that it probably isn't worth wasting discs (and data) on a suspect one.

thats true but i can't just throw away my writer. i ll first atleast try to know, which one is wrong

What are some common burning issues with DVD writers?

Some common burning issues with DVD writers include slow burning speeds, incomplete burning, error messages, and discs not being recognized.

What could be causing slow burning speeds?

Slow burning speeds could be caused by outdated firmware, a dirty lens, or a lack of available resources on the computer.

Why might a DVD writer not recognize a disc?

A DVD writer may not recognize a disc if the disc is damaged or incompatible with the writer, if the lens is dirty, or if the driver software is outdated.

How can I troubleshoot incomplete burning?

To troubleshoot incomplete burning, try using a different brand of disc, updating the firmware and driver software, and ensuring that there is enough space on the disc and computer for the burning process.

What should I do if I receive an error message while burning a DVD?

If you receive an error message while burning a DVD, try updating the firmware and driver software, using a different brand of disc, and ensuring that the disc is not damaged or incompatible with the writer. You can also try adjusting the burning speed or using a different burning software.