Maximize Car Speed on Banked Track: Frictional Force Problem Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the maximum speed for a car to stay on a banked track without skidding sideways. The given information includes the radius of the track, the angle of banking, and the coefficient of static friction between the wheels and the road. The equations used in solving the problem include the acceleration due to gravity. The conversation concludes with one participant finding a helpful resource that aided in understanding the problem.
magicuniverse

Homework Statement

A car is driven around a track of radius R=100m which is banked at 30degrees to the horizontal. If the coefficients of static friction between the wheels and the road is Us=0.8, find the maximum speed for the car to stay on the road without skidding sideways.

Homework Equations

g = 9.8m/s^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not a clue. Please don't just say split it into comppnets etc... I really don't now how to do this so will need it really explaining to me. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
thats great. thanks i can suddenly do it.

Yeah - nice little java thing where you enter one value, and all the others instantly appear. :smile:

1. What is a "Stupidly tough frictional force problem"?

A "Stupidly tough frictional force problem" refers to a challenging physics problem that involves calculating the amount of frictional force acting on an object. These problems often involve complex scenarios and require a thorough understanding of frictional forces and their properties.

2. What makes "Stupidly tough frictional force problems" difficult?

Stupidly tough frictional force problems can be difficult due to their complexity and the need for multiple steps to solve them. These problems also often require the use of advanced mathematical concepts and a strong understanding of physics principles.

3. How can I approach solving a "Stupidly tough frictional force problem"?

To solve a "Stupidly tough frictional force problem," it is important to carefully read and understand the given scenario and any relevant equations. It can also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps and to utilize diagrams or visual aids to better understand the situation.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving "Stupidly tough frictional force problems"?

Some common mistakes when solving "Stupidly tough frictional force problems" include using incorrect equations, not considering all the forces acting on an object, and not paying attention to units. It is also important to carefully check calculations and assumptions made during the problem-solving process.

5. How can I improve my understanding of frictional forces to better solve "Stupidly tough frictional force problems"?

To improve your understanding of frictional forces, it can be helpful to review relevant physics concepts and equations. Practice problems and experimentation can also aid in developing a stronger understanding of frictional forces and how to apply them in different scenarios. Additionally, seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor can be beneficial in improving your understanding and problem-solving skills.