Sturm-Liouville theory applied to solve Helmholtz equation

In summary: But the equation ##y'' = 0## doesn't have any other solutions. That means that your B.C.s do not have a nontrivial solution for k=0.
JordanGo

Homework Statement

Find the eigenfunctions of the Helmholtz equation:
[itex] \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+k^2y = 0 [/itex]

with boundary conditions:
[itex] y(0)=0 [/itex]
[itex] y'(L)=0 [/itex]

Homework Equations

General Solution:
[itex] y = Asin(kx) + Bcos(kx) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that at y(0) that B=0 and that at y'(L) that Akcos(kL)=0.
What do I do with these results?

Physics news on Phys.org
JordanGo said:

Homework Statement

Find the eigenfunctions of the Helmholtz equation:
[itex] \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+k^2y = 0 [/itex]

with boundary conditions:
[itex] y(0)=0 [/itex]
[itex] y'(L)=0 [/itex]

Homework Equations

General Solution:
[itex] y = Asin(kx) + Bcos(kx) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that at y(0) that B=0 and that at y'(L) that Akcos(kL)=0.
What do I do with these results?

Since you already have B=0, you don't want to have A = 0 to avoid a trivial solution. So you need cos(kL) = 0. What values of kL will do that? That will determine the values of k for which the equation has non-trivial solutions. You may also need to check your original equation when k = 0 to see if that gives an eigenvalue too.

Ok, so to avoid trivial solutions, we can say that:
[itex] k=\frac{pi}{2L} , k=\frac{3pi}{2L} [/itex]
Within the range of [0,2*pi].

But how is knowing a value of k going to help find the eigenfunctions?
If the values of k are the eigenvalues, how do I use them to find the eigenfunctions?

You have already said that B= 0. In order that the solution not be trivial, you must have [itex]k= \pi/(2L)[/itex] or [itex]k= 3\pi/(2L)[/itex]. That means that the non-trivial solutions are [itex]Asin(\pi x/(2L))[/itex] and [itex]Asin(3\pi x/(2L))[/itex]. Those are the eigenfunctions.

And, of course, there is no reason to limit the ##kL## to ##[0,2\pi]##. In fact, you best not do that if you want all the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions. And don't forget to check the system when ##k=0##.

Thanks a lot for the help! You guys are great!

One more thing, when you say to check the equation when k=0, you mean use the general equation (knowing A=0) and say that y=B is a solution?

JordanGo said:
Thanks a lot for the help! You guys are great!

One more thing, when you say to check the equation when k=0, you mean use the general equation (knowing A=0) and say that y=B is a solution?

I mean that ##y'' + k^2 y = 0## becomes ##y''=0## with your B.C.s ##y(0)=0,\, y'(L)=0##. You don't want to forget to check that because sometimes you get a nontrivial solution which isn't included in the sine-cosine case.

so when k is zero, we know that y'(L)=0 and y''(x)=0, thus y=C , which is another constant?

What is the general solution to y''(x)=0? Make it satisfy y(0)=0 and y'(L)=0.

Is this Laplace's equation? We haven't seen how to solve it yet... Can you help me? I've searched the internet and it shows plenty of ways to solve it in different coordinate systems, not really sure what to do with it...

LCKurtz said:
What is the general solution to y''(x)=0? Make it satisfy y(0)=0 and y'(L)=0.

JordanGo said:
Is this Laplace's equation? We haven't seen how to solve it yet... Can you help me? I've searched the internet and it shows plenty of ways to solve it in different coordinate systems, not really sure what to do with it...

Are you talking about y''(x)=0? It is just a simple calculus problem. Integrate it twice.

ok, so the solution to y''=0, y(0)=0 and y'(L)=0 is that either y=0 or y=C (some constant)

LCKurtz said:
Are you talking about y''(x)=0? It is just a simple calculus problem. Integrate it twice.

JordanGo said:
ok, so the solution to y''=0, y(0)=0 and y'(L)=0 is that either y=0 or y=C (some constant)

No comment until you show your work.

When k=0, the general solution is: y(x)=Ax+B.
First boundary condition says y(0)=0=B, thus B=0, and y'(L)=0=A, thus A=0.
So k=0 is not an eigenvalue.

Good. So ##y = C \ne 0## is not an option.

1. What is Sturm-Liouville theory?

Sturm-Liouville theory is a mathematical framework used to solve certain types of differential equations, particularly the eigenvalue problem. It involves transforming a differential equation into a simpler form, known as the Sturm-Liouville form, which can then be solved using specific techniques.

2. How is Sturm-Liouville theory applied to solve the Helmholtz equation?

The Helmholtz equation is a partial differential equation that arises in many areas of physics, particularly in problems involving wave propagation. By transforming the Helmholtz equation into the Sturm-Liouville form, the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the equation can be determined, providing solutions to the problem.

3. What is the significance of the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions in this context?

The eigenvalues and eigenfunctions obtained from Sturm-Liouville theory are crucial in solving the Helmholtz equation as they represent the possible frequencies and modes of the waves. These values can help predict the behavior and characteristics of the wave, such as its amplitude and direction of propagation.

4. Can Sturm-Liouville theory be applied to other types of differential equations?

Yes, Sturm-Liouville theory can be applied to a wide range of differential equations, as long as they can be transformed into the Sturm-Liouville form. This includes equations in the fields of physics, engineering, and mathematics.

5. What are some practical applications of Sturm-Liouville theory in solving the Helmholtz equation?

Sturm-Liouville theory has many practical applications, including in the fields of acoustics, electromagnetics, and quantum mechanics. It can be used to model and analyze various wave phenomena, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and quantum particles.