Styrene sheet N-scale shingles

• Misc.
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding hobby supplies, specifically styrene sheets, in various scales and patterns. The speaker mentions their success in finding N-scale brick, but no luck with plain shingle roofing. They then share their experience buying square patterned styrene from a local store that was open online during the pandemic. They mention the low stock due to supply issues and suggest looking at national online stores.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Looking for some styrene sheet in a shingle pattern to make tiny model home. N-scale is ideal but I'll take what I can get.
Slow death of a hobby: What has the world come to when you can't find a sheet of styrene in every conceivable scale and pattern?

I managed to scare up some brick in N-scale but zero luck in finding plain ol' shingle roofing.

I tried Evergreen scale but the closest they have is clapboard.

Where do train hobbyists get their supplies from these days?

Likes Keith_McClary
Physics news on Phys.org
I got some square patterned styrene sheet a few months ago.
I got it on-line from Eugene Toy and Hobby (store in town).
Store was closed during pandemic, but they were open on-line.

They had a bunch of different styles. Didn't notice scale, was not interested in that.
Their stocks were low about 5 months ago (due to Covid supply problems).
Would expect more in stock now.
I would guess there would be on-line stores with a more national presence.

BillTre said:
I got it on-line from Eugene Toy and Hobby (store in town).
Thanks. That pointed me at Plastruct, which has a huge collection.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G

Related to Styrene sheet N-scale shingles

1. What is a Styrene sheet N-scale shingle?

A Styrene sheet N-scale shingle is a type of roofing material used in model train layouts. It is made of styrene plastic and is designed to replicate the appearance of real shingles on a smaller scale.

2. How do I use Styrene sheet N-scale shingles in my model train layout?

To use Styrene sheet N-scale shingles, you will need to cut them to the desired size and shape using a sharp hobby knife. They can then be glued onto the roof of your model building using a plastic cement adhesive.

3. Are Styrene sheet N-scale shingles durable?

Yes, Styrene sheet N-scale shingles are very durable and can withstand the wear and tear of a model train layout. They are also resistant to fading and can be painted or weathered to add realism to your layout.

4. Can I use Styrene sheet N-scale shingles for other types of models?

While Styrene sheet N-scale shingles are primarily used for model train layouts, they can also be used for other types of models such as architectural models or dioramas. They are versatile and can be cut and shaped to fit various scales and designs.

5. How do I clean and maintain Styrene sheet N-scale shingles?

To clean Styrene sheet N-scale shingles, simply wipe them down with a damp cloth. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasives as they can damage the plastic. To maintain their appearance, you can periodically paint or weather the shingles to add a realistic look to your model train layout.