Unraveling Representations of SU2 & SU3 in Particle Physics

In summary, a representation is a mapping from a group into a group of (regular, invertible) transformations of a vector space. An invariant vector under a transformation means that the equation φ(X)v = v holds for all vectors in the space V. An example for a representation of a group is a mapping from a vector space into a group of transformations.
Josh1079
Hi, I'm recently reading some text on particle physics and there is a section on symmetries and group theory. It gave the definition of SU2 as the group of unitary 2*2 matrices and that SU3 is the group of unitary 3*3 matrices. However, it kind of confuses me when it mentioned representations of higher orders. What's the difference between a 3*3 representation of SU2 and SU3? Also, I don't really understand what it means when it mentioned something like "invariant under SU2 transformations", can anyone give an example of a vector that's invariant under SU2 transformations?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Josh1079 said:
Hi, I'm recently reading some text on particle physics and there is a section on symmetries and group theory. It gave the definition of SU2 as the group of unitary 2*2 matrices and that SU3 is the group of unitary 3*3 matrices. However, it kind of confuses me when it mentioned representations of higher orders. What's the difference between a 3*3 representation of SU2 and SU3? Also, I don't really understand what it means when it mentioned something like "invariant under SU2 transformations", can anyone give an example of a vector that's invariant under SU2 transformations?

Thanks!
A representation is a mapping from the given group into a group of (regular, invertible) transformations of a vector space. In mathematical terms: A representation ##(G,V,φ)## of a group ##G## is a vector space ##V## together with a group homomorphism ##φ: G \longrightarrow GL(V).##
So the number you mentioned, "##3 \times 3## representation" refers to the dimension of the vector space (here ##3##), not to the group! Thus it has nothing to do with whether you consider ##SU(2)## or ##SU(3)##. An invariant vector ##v## under ##SU(2)## transformation means, that ##φ(X)(v) = v## for all ##X \in SU(2)##, here unitary ##2 \times 2##-matrices with determinant ##1##. The mapping ##φ## in this context is often omitted and the equation is noted ##X.v = v## or ##v^X = v##. Things become a bit messy if the vector space ##V## itself is a vector space of (not necessarily regular, since ##0 \in V##) matrices.

An example for a representation of ##SU(n)## would be ##φ: SU(n) \longrightarrow GL(\mathfrak{su}(n))## where ##φ: u \longmapsto uAu^{-1}## for ##u \in SU(n) \, , \, A \in \mathfrak{su}(n).##
It shouldn't be too difficult to find invariant vectors here or in a simplier representation ##V##.

One last remark: A representation ##(G,V,φ)## is often simply called by "##G## operates on ##V##".

Thanks a lot! So I guess I've mixed up the definitions.

But for the invariant vector question, I think that's what I thought initially until I saw a line stating that (1, 1, 1) is invariant under SU3 transformations. Actually, it stated η = (u(ubar) + d(dbar) + s(sbar))/√3 is invariant under SU3. This really confuses me.

Josh1079 said:
But for the invariant vector question, I think that's what I thought initially until I saw a line stating that (1, 1, 1) is invariant under SU3 transformations. Actually, it stated η = (u(ubar) + d(dbar) + s(sbar))/√3 is invariant under SU3.
I'm not sure here, what ##u,d,s## are. Unipotent, diagonal, symmetric matrices? And I haven't generators of ##SU(3)## in mind to verify that ##(1,1,1)## is invariant under ##SU(3)## by its natural representation (matrix multiplication / application on ##\mathbb{C}^3##) ##u.(1,1,1) = (u_{1i},u_{2i},u_{3i})##, i.e. all the row sums of ##u## should be equal to ##1##. Seems wrong to me, so either it's another representation on ##\mathbb{C}^3## or the diagonal matrix ##\mathbb{1} = (1,1,1)## is meant, which is of course invariant under ##SU(3)##.

Actually, since I'm reading a particle physics text, the u d s refers to quarks. Maybe I should raise this on the physics section.

Thanks for the reply!

Oh crap... Just found that I've got wrong idea about that issue...

Thanks again, the explanation is very nice and clear!

Related to Unraveling Representations of SU2 & SU3 in Particle Physics

What are SU2 and SU3 representations in particle physics?

SU2 and SU3 are mathematical groups used to describe the symmetry of subatomic particles. SU2 represents the symmetry of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons, while SU3 represents the symmetry of color charge in particles, such as quarks.

Why is it important to study representations of SU2 and SU3 in particle physics?

Understanding the representations of SU2 and SU3 allows us to better understand the fundamental building blocks and interactions of matter. This knowledge is crucial in developing theories and models to explain the behavior of particles and the universe as a whole.

What is the significance of SU2 and SU3 in the Standard Model of particle physics?

SU2 and SU3 are integral components of the Standard Model, which is the current framework for understanding the fundamental particles and their interactions. SU2 represents the electroweak force, while SU3 represents the strong nuclear force.

How are representations of SU2 and SU3 determined experimentally?

The representations of SU2 and SU3 are determined through experiments such as particle accelerators and high-energy collisions. These experiments provide data that can be analyzed to determine the properties and interactions of particles, which in turn can reveal their respective SU2 and SU3 representations.

Are there any real-world applications of understanding SU2 and SU3 representations in particle physics?

Yes, understanding the representations of SU2 and SU3 has led to advancements in technology such as medical imaging and radiation therapy. Additionally, the study of SU2 and SU3 is crucial in developing new technologies and materials, such as superconductors, that have practical applications in various industries.