Subbing Planck length into length contraction equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the maximum amount of energy an object with mass can have using the length contraction equation and the assumptions made in doing so. It also mentions the incompatibility of these assumptions with classical relativity and the existence of speculative theories attempting to modify the theory to include a shortest distance and time.
Zahidur
I was wondering if it is possible to work out the maximum amount of energy an object with mass can have using the length contraction equation (i.e. "actual" length divided by Lorentz factor).

The way I thought of doing this was by rearranging e = mc^2 to get c^2 = e/m. Then, substitute e/m into the length contraction equation. Once you've done that, just rearrange the equation to get energy and substitute Plank length for the contracted length.

Now assuming you have the values for the rest of the variables (i.e. mass, "actual" length, speed), you can calculate the maximum amount of energy that an object with that mass can have. My reasoning behind this is that the Planck length is the shortest distance in the universe (it may well not be but that's an assumption I'm making in this case) and so the length can't be contracted any further than this value. Thus, the output value of the equation is the maximum energy that the object can have.

This is probably wrong, but I'm curious to know about the mistakes I may have made.
[tex]
\frac{mv^{2}}{\left ( \frac{l}{l\bullet } \right )^{2}-1} = e
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Zahidur said:
I was wondering if it is possible to work out the maximum amount of energy an object with mass can have

There is no such thing in classical relativity. The energy of an object with nonzero rest mass, relative to a particular frame, is unbounded.

Zahidur said:
My reasoning behind this is that the Planck length is the shortest distance in the universe

This assumption is incompatible with classical relativity, which assumes that spacetime is a continuum, with no "shortest" distance (or time).

There are speculative theories which attempt to quantize spacetime, but they're just speculative at this point. There are also speculative theories (Google "doubly special relativity") which attempt to modify the Lorentz transformation so that there is a shortest distance (and time) while still building the theory on a non-quantized spacetime; these are also just speculative. None of these speculative theories will use the equations of standard relativity as you are attempting to use them.

Ah yes, I understand- thanks for the clarification.

1. What is the length contraction equation?

The length contraction equation is a formula in special relativity that describes how the length of an object changes when it is moving at high speeds. It is given by L=L₀/γ, where L₀ is the object's rest length and γ is the Lorentz factor.

2. How does length contraction relate to the Planck length?

The Planck length is the smallest possible length that can exist in the universe, and it is related to the fundamental constants of nature. When subbing the Planck length into the length contraction equation, we can see the effects of length contraction at extremely small scales.

3. What is the significance of subbing the Planck length into the length contraction equation?

Subbing the Planck length into the length contraction equation allows us to understand the behavior of objects at the smallest possible scales. It also helps us to better understand the relationship between length and velocity in the context of special relativity.

4. Can the length contraction equation be applied to objects larger than the Planck length?

Yes, the length contraction equation can be applied to objects of any size. However, the effects of length contraction become more significant at higher speeds and smaller scales, such as the Planck length.

5. How does subbing the Planck length into the length contraction equation impact our understanding of the universe?

Subbing the Planck length into the length contraction equation can help us to better understand the behavior of objects at extremely small scales, such as in the early universe or in black holes. It also allows us to test the limits of our current theories and potentially discover new insights into the nature of space and time.