Subgroup of A4: Even Permutations on 4 Elements

• Thread starter Punkyc7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary, we have a set M={x^{2}|x\inG} where G is a group, specifically A_{4} (even permutations on 4 elements). The conversation discusses whether or not M is a subgroup of G. It is not enough to show that the squares of even permutations are also even permutations. The product of two even permutations may not necessarily be a square of an even permutation, thus violating the closure property. Therefore, M is not a subgroup of G.
Punkyc7
let M={x[itex]^{2}[/itex]|x[itex]\in[/itex]G} where G is a group.
Show M is not a sub group if G=A[itex]_{4}[/itex](even permutations on 4 elements.)

(Since an even times an even is even its closed, the identity is even and all the inverses should be even.)* Is is associativity were it is going to go wrong? Or am I wrong in thinking *.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you actually calculate M for me?? That is: can you tell me what the elements of M are?

e^2=e
(123)^2=(132)
(124)^2=(142)
(134)^2=(143)
(234)^2=(243)
(132)^2=(123)
(142)^2=(124)
(143)^2=(134)
(243)^2=(234)
((12)(34))^2=e
((13)(24))^2=e
((14)(23))^2=e

I think I got them all there should be 12

Punkyc7 said:
e^2=e
(123)^2=(132)
(124)^2=(142)
(134)^2=(143)
(234)^2=(243)
(132)^2=(123)
(142)^2=(124)
(143)^2=(134)
(243)^2=(234)
((12)(34))^2=e
((13)(24))^2=e
((14)(23))^2=e

I think I got them all there should be 12

ok, so you know that every square of an element of A4 is again in A4. why is this not enough to show closure?

hint: what is (1 2 4)(1 2 3) ? is that a square of something in A4?

I want to show M is not a subgroup, but I can't seem to figure out were it is going to go wrong. All even permutations squared are even. Their inverse exist because they are also even and there is an identity.

yes M is a subSET of A4. is it a subGROUP?

look, i'll give an analogy:

consider the set of even integers under addition. that is a group, right? now consider the set:

{k in Z: k = (2n)2, n in Z}.

well, all these integers are still even, but they do not form a subgroup of the even integers. why? because even though 4 and 16 are in this set, 20 = 4 + 16 is NOT.

you have to show MORE than just that the resulting squares are even permutations. you have to show that every PRODUCT of squares of even permutations is ALSO a square of even permutations. ask yourself: is the product of 2 3-cycles always another 3-cycle, or the identity?

im not quite sure what you are trying to say. Is it because if you multiply any of the above won't you get an even permutation? The product of the identity is always the identity and the product of a 3 cycle I am not sure about, I am guessing maybe not?

Definition of a subgroup H of G:
  • H is closed under the group operation of G,
  • the identity element of G is in H and
  • for every a in H, a-1 is also in H.
Have you shown all these properties, or found a violation of one of them?

In fact, since this is a finite group, checking the first property is enough.

Incidentally, [cough] Lagrange's Theorem
The order of a subgroup H of group G divides the order of G

is it because (132)(142)=(14)(23) and (14)(23) isn't a square?

(14)(23) isn't a member of M. Therefore...

not closed...cant believe I didn't see that.

Related to Subgroup of A4: Even Permutations on 4 Elements

What is "Subgroup of A4: Even Permutations on 4 Elements"?

"Subgroup of A4: Even Permutations on 4 Elements" refers to a specific group of even permutations, or rearrangements, of four elements. This subgroup is a part of the larger group A4, which contains all possible permutations of four elements.

How many elements are in this subgroup?

This subgroup contains six elements, which are the even permutations of the four elements (1, 2, 3, 4). These permutations are (1 2)(3 4), (1 3)(2 4), (1 4)(2 3), (1 2 3), (1 3 2), and (1 4 2).

What are the properties of this subgroup?

Some properties of this subgroup include closure, meaning that the result of combining two even permutations from this subgroup will also be an even permutation. It is also a cyclic group, meaning that it can be generated by a single element. Additionally, it is a normal subgroup of A4, meaning that it is invariant under conjugation by elements of A4.

How is this subgroup related to the symmetric group S4?

This subgroup is a subset of the symmetric group S4, which contains all possible permutations of four elements. Specifically, it is a subgroup of S4 that only contains even permutations. This subgroup is also isomorphic to the Klein four-group, which is a group with four elements that is isomorphic to the group of symmetries of a square.

What are some real-world applications of this subgroup?

This subgroup has applications in fields such as algebra, group theory, and combinatorics. It is also relevant in the study of symmetry and pattern recognition, as well as in the analysis of molecular structures and chemical reactions. Additionally, this subgroup has connections to coding theory and cryptography.