Submodules A + B and A intersect B .... Blyth Ch. 2

• I
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
In summary, Blyth makes two claims concerning submodules: that A + B is the smallest submodule of M that contains both A and B, and that A ∩ B is the largest submodule contained in both A and B. These claims can be proven formally and rigorously by defining A + B and A ∩ B, showing they are closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and using generating sets to prove that A + B is a subset of any submodule that contains A and B, and A ∩ B is a superset of any submodule contained in both A and B.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading T. S. Blyth's book "Module Theory: An Approach to Linear Algebra" ... ... and am currently focussed on Chapter 2: Submodules; Intersections and Sums ... ...

I need help with understanding two claims that Blyth makes concerning submodules ...

The relevant text is as follows: ( see end of post for other text that may be relevant)
?temp_hash=73c4113bcdd90e05481e0782497ccecb.png

I have two questions concerning the above text ... ...
Question 1In the above text we read:

" ... ... We know that ##A + B## is the smallest submodule of ##M## that contains both ##A## and ##B##, ... ... "My question is: how exactly do we know this ... ? How would we formally and rigorously prove this ... ?
Question 2In the above text we read:

" ... ... and that ##A \cap B## is the largest submodule contained in both ##A## and ##B##, ... ... "My question is: how exactly do we know this ... ? How would we formally and rigorously prove this ... ?Hope that someone can help with the above two questions ...

Peter

==============================================================================

PS Just in case readers need to reference some of Blyth's definitions or theorems in Chapter 2, I am providing the relevant text as follows:

Attachments

• Blyth - Modules  ch 2 .. A plus B ... and ... A intersect B ....png
    Blyth - Modules ch 2 .. A plus B ... and ... A intersect B ....png
    40.9 KB · Views: 546
  • Blyth - 1 - Chapter 2 - Page 1 ... ....png
    Blyth - 1 - Chapter 2 - Page 1 ... ....png
    39.4 KB · Views: 647
  • Blyth - 2 - Chapter 2 - Page 2 ... ....png
    Blyth - 2 - Chapter 2 - Page 2 ... ....png
    40.6 KB · Views: 652
  • Blyth - 3 - Chapter 2 - Page 3 ... ....png
    Blyth - 3 - Chapter 2 - Page 3 ... ....png
    52.9 KB · Views: 528
  • Blyth - 4 - Chapter 2 - Page 4 ... ....png
    Blyth - 4 - Chapter 2 - Page 4 ... ....png
    48.3 KB · Views: 555
  • Blyth - 5 - Chapter 2 - Page 5 ... ....png
    Blyth - 5 - Chapter 2 - Page 5 ... ....png
    67.3 KB · Views: 591
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
" ... ... We know that ##A+B## is the smallest submodule of ##M## that contains both ##A## and ##B##, ... ... "
My question is: how exactly do we know this ... ? How would we formally and rigorously prove this ... ?
How are ##A+B## and ##LC(A\cup B)## related?
Then given any submodule ##C \subseteq M## which contains both, ##A## and ##B##, does it contain ##LC(A\cup B)##? And why?

Math Amateur said:
" ... ... and that ##A \cap B## is the largest submodule contained in both ##A## and ##B##, ... ... "
My question is: how exactly do we know this ... ? How would we formally and rigorously prove this ... ?
By theorem 2.1 ##A\cap B## is a submodule of ##M##. Then how are ##A\cap B## and ##LC(A\cap B)## related?
Now given any submodule ##C##, that is contained in ##A## as well as in ##B##, is it contained in ##A\cap B## or ##LC(A\cap B)##? And why?

And at last: If you know all this about any possible submodule ##C \subseteq M##, what does it tell you?

Likes Math Amateur
Proof of Q1.
Define [itex]A+B\equiv \{a+b\ :\ a\in A\wedge b\in B\}[/itex]. This is easily shown to be closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and hence a module. It must be a subset of [itex]M[/itex] because [itex]M[/itex] is closed under addition and scalar multiplication and every element of [itex]A+B[/itex] can be expressed as the addition or scalar, multiplication of elements of [itex]A[/itex] and/or [itex]B[/itex], which are elements of [itex]M[/itex].

Let ##G_A## and ##G_B## be generating sets for ##A## and ##B## respectively. Then, by the definition of [itex]A+B[/itex], [itex]G_A\cup G_B[/itex] is a generating set for [itex]A+B[/itex].

Let [itex]C[/itex] be a submodule of [itex]M[/itex] that contains [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex]. Then [itex]C[/itex] contains both [itex]G_A[/itex] and [itex]G_B[/itex] and hence contains [itex]G_A\cup G_B[/itex]. Any element of [itex]A+B[/itex] is a finite linear combination of elements of [itex]G_A\cup G_B[/itex] and, since that union is in [itex]C[/itex] which, being a module, is closed under finite linear combinations, the element must also be in [itex]C[/itex]. So we have [itex]A+B\subseteq C[/itex].

I imagine the proof for Q2 may be similar but using intersections of generating sets rather than unions. Why not have a go at that and let me know if you get stuck.

Andrew

Likes Math Amateur

1. What are submodules A and B?

Submodules A and B refer to specific parts or components of a larger module. They are typically smaller and more specific in their functions compared to the overall module they are a part of.

2. How do submodules A and B intersect?

The intersection of submodules A and B is the portion where they overlap or have common elements or functions. This means that they share some aspects or features, but also have distinct characteristics that make them unique from each other.

3. What is the significance of understanding submodules A and B?

Understanding submodules A and B is important in comprehending the overall functionality and structure of a larger module. It also helps in identifying potential areas of overlap or conflict, as well as maximizing the efficiency and effectiveness of each submodule.

4. What can be learned from Blyth Ch. 2 about submodules A and B?

In Blyth Ch. 2, we can learn about the definitions and properties of submodules, as well as how they relate to each other in terms of intersections and unions. We can also gain insight on how to manipulate and work with submodules in order to achieve specific objectives.

5. How can the knowledge of submodules A and B be applied in scientific research?

The understanding of submodules A and B can be applied in scientific research by providing a framework for organizing and analyzing data or systems. It can also aid in identifying patterns and relationships between different aspects of a complex system, leading to more comprehensive and accurate conclusions.