• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Subspace proof

• Thread starter gavin1989
  • Start date
Prove that if L and P are three dimentional subspaces of R5, then L and P must have a nonzero constant in common.

i am just stuck now on how to get this proof started... any thoughts on how to start?

Answers and Replies

matt grime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
L is thee dimensional: let a,b,c be a basis. P is three dimensional: let x,y,z be a basis. What can you say about a,b,c,x,y,z given that they live in a 5 dimensional space?

okay, if so, they will form a six dimentinal subspace, which dont span the vector spcce.

thanks a lot!

matt grime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
How do you know that these 6 vectors do not span the space? They may or may not span the space, but that is immaterial: you have 6 vectors in a 5 dimensional space, therefore they are .....?

they are not linearly independent? and thus not a basis for such space

Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The part that they are "not linearly independent" is what is pertinent to the question. You don't care whether they make a basis for a 6 dimensional space.

If your 6 basis vectors are not linearly independent, then they share...

What does it mean if the vectors are not linearly independent?

then they dont share common subspaces...

matt grime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I think you're just guessing and hoping now. I don't know what Matterwave means, but all I want you to do is look at the definition of linearly dependent (or the negation of linear independence).

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
L is thee dimensional: let a,b,c be a basis. P is three dimensional: let x,y,z be a basis. What can you say about a,b,c,x,y,z given that they live in a 5 dimensional space?
okay, if so, they will form a six dimentinal subspace, which dont span the vector spcce.

thanks a lot!
How do you know that these 6 vectors do not span the space? They may or may not span the space, but that is immaterial: you have 6 vectors in a 5 dimensional space, therefore they are .....?
Notice that you did not use the fact that the two subspaces have no non-zero vector (you said "constant" but I presume you meant vector) in common. That's the important thing.