1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subspace proof

1. May 1, 2009 #1
    Prove that if L and P are three dimentional subspaces of R5, then L and P must have a nonzero constant in common.

i am just stuck now on how to get this proof started... any thoughts on how to start?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2009 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

L is thee dimensional: let a,b,c be a basis. P is three dimensional: let x,y,z be a basis. What can you say about a,b,c,x,y,z given that they live in a 5 dimensional space?

4. May 2, 2009 #3
    okay, if so, they will form a six dimentinal subspace, which dont span the vector spcce.

thanks a lot!

5. May 2, 2009 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you know that these 6 vectors do not span the space? They may or may not span the space, but that is immaterial: you have 6 vectors in a 5 dimensional space, therefore they are .....?

6. May 2, 2009 #5
    they are not linearly independent? and thus not a basis for such space

7. May 2, 2009 #6

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The part that they are "not linearly independent" is what is pertinent to the question. You don't care whether they make a basis for a 6 dimensional space.

If your 6 basis vectors are not linearly independent, then they share...

What does it mean if the vectors are not linearly independent?

8. May 2, 2009 #7
    then they dont share common subspaces...

9. May 3, 2009 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you're just guessing and hoping now. I don't know what Matterwave means, but all I want you to do is look at the definition of linearly dependent (or the negation of linear independence).

10. May 3, 2009 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Notice that you did not use the fact that the two subspaces have no non-zero vector (you said "constant" but I presume you meant vector) in common. That's the important thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook