Substitution/Elimination to find General Solution | System of ODE's

In summary: Thanks for the response and help. Alright so here is what I did:y = 3x- x' + 2t^2;y' = 4x - 2y - 8t^2;x(t) = (3x-y+2t^2)dt;x = 3xt-yt+2/3t^3;y(t) = (3x-y+2t^2)dt + (4x-2y-8t^2)
Lahooty

Homework Statement

Use substitution/elimination to find the general solution.

dx/dt = 3x-y+2t^2

dy/dt = 4x-2y-8t^2

Homework Equations

I'm practically clueless on how to solve this problem using substitution/elimination, I'm pretty sure the way I'm doing it is completely wrong. If anyone can show me the correct approach or can show an example it would be a tremendous help.

The Attempt at a Solution

dx/dt = 3x - y +2t^2

dx = (3x -y +2t^2)dt

x = 3xt - yt + 2/3t^3

x(1-3t) = - yt + 2/3t^3

x = (-yt + 2/3t^3)/(1-3t)

I know this is not the correct way but I can't find anything online, so if someone does know what to do please reply.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lahooty said:

The Attempt at a Solution

dx/dt = 3x - y +2t^2

dx = (3x -y +2t^2)dt

x = 3xt - yt + 2/3t^3

x is a function of t. If you integrate it, you get [itex]\int x(t)\,\mathrm{d}t[/itex], not xt. Similarly for y.

Homework Statement

Use substitution/elimination to find the general solution.

dx/dt = 3x-y+2t^2

dy/dt = 4x-2y-8t^2

We want to eliminate either x or y and its derivatives to get a second order ODE for whichever variable we're left with.

Here it seems easiest to eliminate y, since the first equation tells us that
[tex]y = 3x - \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{d}t} + 2t^2[/tex]
Differentiating this gives
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}t} = 3\frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{d}t}
- \frac{\mathrm{d}^2x}{\mathrm{d}t^2} + 4t[/tex]
You can now substitute these expressions for y and dy/dt into the second equation.

Thanks for the response and help. Alright so here is what I did:

y = 3x- x' + 2t^2;

(3x- x' + 2t^2)' = 4x -2(3x- x' + 2t^2) + 2t^2;

3x' - x'' + 2t^2' = 4x -6x + 2x' -4t^2 + 2t^2

x'' - x' -2x = 2t^2' - 2t^2

r^2 - r - 2 = 0

r = 2, r = -1

I don't know how to proceed from this point on.

Lahooty said:
Thanks for the response and help. Alright so here is what I did:

y = 3x- x' + 2t^2;

(3x- x' + 2t^2)' = 4x -2(3x- x' + 2t^2) + 2t^2;

The second equation is [itex]y' = 4x - 2y - 8t^2[/itex], so you should have
[tex]
(3x- x' + 2t^2)' = 4x -2(3x- x' + 2t^2) - 8t^2
[/tex]
which yields
[tex]
3x' - x'' + 4t = 4x - 6x + 2x' - 4t^2 - 8t^2
[/tex]
(because [itex](2t^2)' = 2(2t) = 4t[/itex]) so that
[tex]
x'' - x' - 2x = 4t + 12t^2
[/tex]

r^2 - r - 2 = 0

r = 2, r = -1

I don't know how to proceed from this point on.

You need to find a solution of
[tex]
x'' - x' - 2x = 4t + 12t^2
[/tex]
and add to it the general solution of
[tex]
x'' - x' - 2x = 0
[/tex]
The second part you should know. For the first part, the form of the right hand side suggests taking [itex]f(t) = at^2 + bt + c[/itex] with constants a, b and c, which you should choose so that [itex]f'' - f' - 2f = 4t + 12t^2[/itex].

That gives you [itex]x(t)[/itex], and you can then find [itex]y(t)[/itex] from [itex]y = 3x- x' + 2t^2[/itex].

Related to Substitution/Elimination to find General Solution | System of ODE's

1. What is Substitution/Elimination in the context of solving a system of ODE's?

Substitution/Elimination is a method used in solving a system of ordinary differential equations (ODE's). It involves replacing one or more variables in a system with new variables, which results in a simpler system that is easier to solve.

2. When should I use Substitution/Elimination to solve a system of ODE's?

Substitution/Elimination is typically used when a system of ODE's is nonlinear or contains more than two equations. It can also be useful when trying to find a general solution to a system.

3. How do I use Substitution/Elimination to find the general solution to a system of ODE's?

To use Substitution/Elimination, you first need to identify which variables to replace. Then, you substitute the new variables into the original system of equations. This results in a simpler system that can be solved using standard methods, such as separation of variables or integrating factors.

4. Are there any limitations to using Substitution/Elimination to solve a system of ODE's?

While Substitution/Elimination can be a powerful tool, it may not always be applicable to every system of ODE's. It works best for systems that are linear or can be transformed into a linear system through substitution. Additionally, it may not always be the most efficient method for solving a system, so it is important to consider other techniques as well.

5. Can Substitution/Elimination be used to solve higher-order systems of ODE's?

Yes, Substitution/Elimination can be used to solve higher-order systems of ODE's. However, it may become more complex and time-consuming as the number of equations increases. In these cases, it may be more practical to use other methods, such as matrix techniques or numerical methods.