Substitution method for finding an integral's interval changes

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of making multiple substitutions in an integral, and how it can simplify the process. It is also mentioned that expanding and simplifying the integral may be more efficient. However, it is ultimately up to the individual's preference and understanding of integral calculus.
thegreengineer
Look, I was wondering if substituting the variable more than once is valid and hence the definite integral intervals change this way.
Consider the following integral (I'm working for finding the volume of a solid of revolution):
*[itex]\pi \int_{-3}^{5}3^{2}-(\sqrt{\frac{y+3}{2}}+1)^2dy[/itex]
Personally I hate to work hard (in this case I mean I would not rather to expand that binomial [itex](\sqrt{\frac{y+3}{2}}+1)^2[/itex] because it has a division within a square root and we also have a binomial which is [itex]y+3[/itex] so it would be so much time-wasting in my opinion to expand all that. So what I did was to transform that [itex]y+3[/itex] into [itex]u[/itex] so:
[itex]u=y+3[/itex]
[itex]du=dy[/itex]
Also I changed the intervals (if [itex]u=y+3[/itex] then the new interval would be obtained by substituting the values within the [itex]y+3[/itex] so the first interval would be [itex]a=(-3)+3=0[/itex] and the other [itex]b=5+3=8[/itex] so the integral would become:
*[itex]\pi \int_{0}^{8}3^{2}-(\sqrt{\frac{u}{2}}+1)^2du[/itex]
This integral now it seems easier than the original, however, it's still kind of time wasting in my opinion to have a division within the root, so now I convert [itex]\frac{u}{2}[/itex] into [itex]w[/itex] so:
[itex]w=\frac{u}{2}[/itex]
[itex]dw=\frac{du}{2}[/itex]
Since I made another substitution then the integral interval must be changed once again so if [itex]w=\frac{u}{2}[/itex] then the first limit of the interval is got by replacing the value of the first limit of the last integral into [itex]w=\frac{u}{2}[/itex] so [itex]a=\frac{0}{2}=0[/itex] and [itex]b=\frac{8}{2}=4[/itex], therefore the integral becomes:
*[itex](1/2)\pi \int_{0}^{4}3^{2}-(\sqrt{w}+1)^2dw[/itex].

I don't know if this is valid, I would appreciate if someone told me because I'm failing in integral calculus. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
MarcusAu314 said:
Look, I was wondering if substituting the variable more than once is valid and hence the definite integral intervals change this way.
Consider the following integral (I'm working for finding the volume of a solid of revolution):
*[itex]\pi \int_{-3}^{5}3^{2}-(\sqrt{\frac{y+3}{2}}+1)^2dy[/itex]
Personally I hate to work hard (in this case I mean I would not rather to expand that binomial [itex](\sqrt{\frac{y+3}{2}}+1)^2[/itex] because it has a division within a square root and we also have a binomial which is [itex]y+3[/itex] so it would be so much time-wasting in my opinion to expand all that. So what I did was to transform that [itex]y+3[/itex] into [itex]u[/itex] so:
[itex]u=y+3[/itex]
[itex]du=dy[/itex]
Also I changed the intervals (if [itex]u=y+3[/itex] then the new interval would be obtained by substituting the values within the [itex]y+3[/itex] so the first interval would be [itex]a=(-3)+3=0[/itex] and the other [itex]b=5+3=8[/itex] so the integral would become:
*[itex]\pi \int_{0}^{8}3^{2}-(\sqrt{\frac{u}{2}}+1)^2du[/itex]
This integral now it seems easier than the original, however, it's still kind of time wasting in my opinion to have a division within the root, so now I convert [itex]\frac{u}{2}[/itex] into [itex]w[/itex] so:
[itex]w=\frac{u}{2}[/itex]
[itex]dw=\frac{du}{2}[/itex]
Since I made another substitution then the integral interval must be changed once again so if [itex]w=\frac{u}{2}[/itex] then the first limit of the interval is got by replacing the value of the first limit of the last integral into [itex]w=\frac{u}{2}[/itex] so [itex]a=\frac{0}{2}=0[/itex] and [itex]b=\frac{8}{2}=4[/itex], therefore the integral becomes:
*[itex](1/2)\pi \int_{0}^{4}3^{2}-(\sqrt{w}+1)^2dw[/itex].

I don't know if this is valid, I would appreciate if someone told me because I'm failing in integral calculus. Thanks.
Yes, it's valid to make more than one substitution, changing the limits of integration each time.

It would be simpler, though, to just make one substitution: ##w = \frac{y + 3} 2##. Then dw = dy/2.

Alternatively, expanding ##(\frac{y + 3}{2} + 1)^2## isn't really that hard. You probably could have done it in the time it took you to type your question. After expanding, get common denominators (of 4), and bring out a factor of 1/2 outside the radical.

(Previous comment deleted, just saw Mark44 said prerty much the same)

There is just one thing in your last formula, you got a factor wrong - note that ##dw=\frac{du}{2}## so ##du=2dw##.

1. What is the substitution method for finding an integral's interval changes?

The substitution method is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals by substituting a new variable in place of the existing variable. This allows for integration by substitution, where the integral can be expressed in terms of the new variable and then solved.

2. When should I use the substitution method for finding an integral's interval changes?

The substitution method is useful when the integral involves a complicated function or when the limits of integration cannot be easily evaluated. It can also be used when the integrand involves a trigonometric function or a radical expression.

3. How do I choose the substitution variable?

The substitution variable should be chosen such that it simplifies the integral and eliminates any complex expressions. A common technique is to choose a variable that appears in the integrand and then find its derivative or use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.

4. What are the steps for using the substitution method?

The steps for using the substitution method are as follows: 1) Identify the variable to be substituted, 2) Determine the derivative of the substitution variable, 3) Substitute the variable and its derivative into the integral, 4) Simplify the integral using algebraic or trigonometric identities, and 5) Evaluate the integral and substitute the original variable back in.

5. Are there any tips for using the substitution method effectively?

One tip for using the substitution method effectively is to practice identifying which variables to substitute and which trigonometric identities to use. It is also important to carefully evaluate the integral and check for any sign changes or missing constants. Additionally, it is helpful to review the chain rule and integration by parts, as these concepts are closely related to the substitution method.