1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Substitution with double integral

1. Jan 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using transforms: [tex] u = 3x + 2y[/tex] and [tex] v = x+4y[/tex] solve:
    [tex] \iint_\textrm{R}(3x^2 + 14xy +8y^2)\,dx\,dy[/tex]
    For the region R in the first quadrant bounded by the lines:
    [tex] y = -(3/2)x +1[/tex]
    [tex] y = -(3/2)x +3[/tex]
    [tex] y = -(1/2)x [/tex]
    [tex] y = -(1/2)x +1[/tex]

I'm itching to see where I've gone wrong on this one which is why I'm taking the time to post it:

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I express [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] in terms of [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex]:
    [itex]3x = u-2y = u-\frac{(v-x)}{2}[/itex], [itex]6x = 2u-v+x[/itex] therefore [itex]x = \frac{2u-v}{5}[/itex]

[itex]4y = v-x = \frac{5v-2u+v}{5}[/itex] such that [itex] y = \frac{3v-u}{10}[/itex]

Next I express [itex]3x^2 + 14xy +8y^2[/itex] in terms of [itex]u,v[/tex]
    [itex]=\frac{1}{25}(25uv) = uv[/tex]

Next I use [tex]\frac{\partial(x,y)}{\partial(u,v)} = \left[ \begin {array}{cc} x_{u}&x_{v}\\\noalign{\medskip}y_{u}&y_{v}\end {array}\right]= \left[ \begin {array}{cc} \frac{2}{5}&\frac{-1}{5}\\\noalign{\medskip}\frac{-1}{10}&\frac{3}{10}\end {array}\right]=\frac{1}{10}[/tex]

Next find my region and limits in the uv plane:
    If [itex] y = \frac{-3}{2}x+1[/tex] then [itex] \frac{3v-u}{10}=\frac{-3}{2}(\frac{2u-v}{5})+1[/tex] such that [itex] 0 = 5u + 10[/tex] ie; [itex] u = 2[/tex]
    If [itex] y = \frac{-3}{2}x+3[/tex] then using above, [itex]u=6[/tex]
    If [itex] y = \frac{-1}{2}x[/tex] then [itex] \frac{3v-u}{10}=\frac{-1}{2}(\frac{2u-v}{5})[/tex] such that [itex] 2v = -u [/tex] ie; [itex] v = \frac{-u}{2}[/tex]
    If [itex] y = \frac{-3}{2}x+1[/tex] then using above [itex]v = 5- \frac{u}{2}[/tex]

All this gives me the following integral to solve:
    [tex]\frac{1}{10}\int_2^6 \int_{\frac{-u}{2}}^{5-\frac{u}{2}}uv \,dv\,du[/tex]
    which I work out to be 8/3. I also used my computer to solve the integral in this form and it backs me up this yet the back of my book is looking for 64/5 :confused:
    If my method is wrong or if I keep missing a blatantly obvious algabraic slip could someone please point out my error(s) as I'll be sitting an exam tomorrow (Monday) and want to reduce the number of ways I can screw myself up!
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2008 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

When you were finding limits in the uv plane, The lines 1 and 3, did you just get u and v confused or do i See in the first line : 3v - u = 3v - 6u, u=0. and 3rd line: 3v-u = v - 2u, u=0.
  4. Jan 12, 2008 #3
    hmm...in line 1 I forgot to write +1 (thats where I get 0 = -5u + 10 from), In line 3 I wrote u/2 instead of -u/2... (though that did appear in my integral correctly)...I have fixed that post now to show my working correctly
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?