Substitution with double integral

In summary, The student attempted to solve a homework equation using transforms, but made a mistake in line one and had to fix it. The student found limits in the uv plane and found that y=-3/2x+1 is the equation that has limits.
GregA

Homework Statement

Using transforms: [tex] u = 3x + 2y[/tex] and [tex] v = x+4y[/tex] solve:
[tex] \iint_\textrm{R}(3x^2 + 14xy +8y^2)\,dx\,dy[/tex]
For the region R in the first quadrant bounded by the lines:
[tex] y = -(3/2)x +1[/tex]
[tex] y = -(3/2)x +3[/tex]
[tex] y = -(1/2)x [/tex]
[tex] y = -(1/2)x +1[/tex]

I'm itching to see where I've gone wrong on this one which is why I'm taking the time to post it:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I express [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] in terms of [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex]:
[itex]3x = u-2y = u-\frac{(v-x)}{2}[/itex], [itex]6x = 2u-v+x[/itex] therefore [itex]x = \frac{2u-v}{5}[/itex]

[itex]4y = v-x = \frac{5v-2u+v}{5}[/itex] such that [itex] y = \frac{3v-u}{10}[/itex]

Next I express [itex]3x^2 + 14xy +8y^2[/itex] in terms of [itex]u,v[/tex]
[itex]3x^2+14xy+8y^2=3(\frac{2u-v}{5})^2+14(\frac{2u-v}{5})(\frac{3v-u}{10})+8(\frac{3v-u}{10})^2[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{3}{25}(4u^2-4uv+v^2)+\frac{7}{25}(6uv-3v^2-2u^2+uv)+\frac{2}{25}(9v^2-6uv+u^2)[/tex]
[itex]=\frac{1}{25}(12u^2-12uv+3v^2+42uv-21v^2-14u^2+7uv+18v^2-12uv+2u^2)[/tex]
[itex]=\frac{1}{25}(25uv) = uv[/tex]

Next I use [tex]\frac{\partial(x,y)}{\partial(u,v)} = \left[ \begin {array}{cc} x_{u}&x_{v}\\\noalign{\medskip}y_{u}&y_{v}\end {array}\right]= \left[ \begin {array}{cc} \frac{2}{5}&\frac{-1}{5}\\\noalign{\medskip}\frac{-1}{10}&\frac{3}{10}\end {array}\right]=\frac{1}{10}[/tex]

Next find my region and limits in the uv plane:
If [itex] y = \frac{-3}{2}x+1[/tex] then [itex] \frac{3v-u}{10}=\frac{-3}{2}(\frac{2u-v}{5})+1[/tex] such that [itex] 0 = 5u + 10[/tex] ie; [itex] u = 2[/tex]
If [itex] y = \frac{-3}{2}x+3[/tex] then using above, [itex]u=6[/tex]
If [itex] y = \frac{-1}{2}x[/tex] then [itex] \frac{3v-u}{10}=\frac{-1}{2}(\frac{2u-v}{5})[/tex] such that [itex] 2v = -u [/tex] ie; [itex] v = \frac{-u}{2}[/tex]
If [itex] y = \frac{-3}{2}x+1[/tex] then using above [itex]v = 5- \frac{u}{2}[/tex]

All this gives me the following integral to solve:
[tex]\frac{1}{10}\int_2^6 \int_{\frac{-u}{2}}^{5-\frac{u}{2}}uv \,dv\,du[/tex]
which I work out to be 8/3. I also used my computer to solve the integral in this form and it backs me up this yet the back of my book is looking for 64/5 :confused:
If my method is wrong or if I keep missing a blatantly obvious algabraic slip could someone please point out my error(s) as I'll be sitting an exam tomorrow (Monday) and want to reduce the number of ways I can screw myself up!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you were finding limits in the uv plane, The lines 1 and 3, did you just get u and v confused or do i See in the first line : 3v - u = 3v - 6u, u=0. and 3rd line: 3v-u = v - 2u, u=0.

hmm...in line 1 I forgot to write +1 (thats where I get 0 = -5u + 10 from), In line 3 I wrote u/2 instead of -u/2... (though that did appear in my integral correctly)...I have fixed that post now to show my working correctly

Last edited:

What is substitution with double integral?

Substitution with double integral is a technique used to change the variables in a double integral in order to make the integration process easier. It is similar to the substitution used in single-variable integrals, but it is applied to two variables.

How is substitution with double integral performed?

To perform substitution with double integral, you first identify the appropriate substitution by looking at the integrand and the limits of integration. Then, you make a change of variables and rewrite the double integral in terms of the new variables. Finally, you solve the integral using the new variables and substitute back to get the final answer.

Why is substitution with double integral useful?

Substitution with double integral can simplify the integration process, making it easier to solve complex integrals. It can also help in evaluating integrals with non-rectangular regions of integration, as the new variables can be chosen to match the shape of the region.

What are some common substitutions used in double integrals?

The most common substitutions used in double integrals are polar coordinates, cylindrical coordinates, and spherical coordinates. These substitutions are particularly useful for integrals involving circular, cylindrical, or spherical regions.

What are some tips for choosing the appropriate substitution in double integrals?

When choosing the appropriate substitution in double integrals, it is important to consider the shape of the region of integration and the form of the integrand. You should also look for symmetry in the integrand or limits of integration, as this can suggest a suitable substitution. Practice and experience with different types of substitutions can also help in choosing the most efficient one.