Solving $\int \frac{e^{x}+1}{e^{x}}$ with e Substitution

• Thread starter dlthompson81
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving integration of \frac{e^{x}+1}{e^{x}} and the attempt at solving it using substitution. The conversation includes mistakes made by the person, such as dividing incorrectly and forgetting to bring down the negative sign when taking the derivative of e^{-x}. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of including the differential in the integral notation and avoiding this habit in scratch work.
dlthompson81

Homework Statement

\begin{equation} \int \frac{e^{x}+1}{e^{x}}\end{equation}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem comes out of the substitution section of my book, and the answer in the back of the book is [itex]x-e^{x}+C[/itex]

I started by changing the form to this:

\begin{equation}\int \frac{1}{e^{x}}e^{x}\end{equation}

I set u = [itex]e^{x}[/itex] and du is the same.

That left me with:

\begin{equation}\int \frac{1}{u} du\end{equation}

Integrating [itex]\frac{1}{u}[/itex] gives ln|u|

So plugging u back in gives [itex]ln|e^{x}|[/itex]

I plugged some test numbers into my answer and the book answer and they come out pretty close, so I thought both of them may be right, but I still can't figure out how to get [itex]x-e^{-x}[/itex].

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
dlthompson81 said:

Homework Statement

\begin{equation} \int \frac{e^{x}+1}{e^{x}}\end{equation}

For one thing, you changed the problem when you divided:

[tex] \frac{e^{x}+1}{e^{x}} = \frac{e^{x}}{e^{x}} + \frac{1}{e^{x}} = 1 + \frac{1}{e^{x}} [/tex]

And I don't think you quite copied the answer from the book correctly...

Ok, after reviewing it some more I found my problem. The derivative of [itex]e^{-x}[/itex] is actually [itex]-e^{-x}[/itex]. I didn't realize I had to bring down the negative sign.

And I did copy the answer wrong, it should be a -x exponent. My bad.

Thanks for the help.

Ok, I was wrong again. I thought I had it figured out.

I have:

\begin{equation}\int 1 + e^{-x}\end{equation}

I set u = [itex]e^{-x}[/itex] and du = [itex]-e^{-x}[/itex] but then there is nothing for du to replace.

I'm lost again.

In this case, you would not do a u-sub. You would split up the integral (as I say it) like so:

[itex]\int1[/itex]dx+[itex]\int e^{-x}[/itex]dx

You should be able to integrate it from there.

Last edited:
dlthompson81 said:
Ok, I was wrong again. I thought I had it figured out.

I have:

\begin{equation}\int 1 + e^{-x}\end{equation}
You need to get into the habit of including the differential, dx in this case. When you start out with integration techniques, as you are doing here, it's not so crucial. However, as the problems get more difficult, I guarantee that omitting the differential will come back and bite your hind end.
dlthompson81 said:
I set u = [itex]e^{-x}[/itex] and du = [itex]-e^{-x}[/itex] but then there is nothing for du to replace.

I'm lost again.

Mark44 said:
You need to get into the habit of including the differential, dx in this case. When you start out with integration techniques, as you are doing here, it's not so crucial. However, as the problems get more difficult, I guarantee that omitting the differential will come back and bite your hind end.

Besides the problems that can create for yourself, it is very likely that homework and exam graders will dock you on every problem where you omit it, or otherwise use notation incorrectly. (What you do in your own "scratch work" is your business, though being sloppy can cost you at some point...)

Ivan92 said:
In this case, you would not do a u-sub. You would split up the integral (as I say it) like so:

[itex]\int1[/itex]dx+[itex]\int e^{-x}[/itex]dx

You should be able to integrate it from there.

Yes, I can integrate it from here, but since the problem is under the substitution review section in my book, I thought I would try to figure out how to do it with substitution.

I usually write the dx whenever I work my problems out on my official paper, but I do avoid it on my scratch work. I guess I should break that habit.

dlthompson81 said:
Yes, I can integrate it from here, but since the problem is under the substitution review section in my book, I thought I would try to figure out how to do it with substitution.
When you evaluate [itex]\int e^{-x}~dx[/itex], you will need to use a simple substitution.
dlthompson81 said:
I usually write the dx whenever I work my problems out on my official paper, but I do avoid it on my scratch work. I guess I should break that habit.
Yes, you should. When you get to trig substitutions, omitting the differential will definitely cause errors.

FAQ: Solving $\int \frac{e^{x}+1}{e^{x}}$ with e Substitution

1. How do you use e Substitution to solve integrals?

E Substitution, also known as the u-substitution method, involves substituting a new variable u for a complicated expression within the integral. This allows for the integral to be rewritten in terms of u, making it easier to solve.

2. What is the general process for solving an integral with e Substitution?

The general process for e Substitution is as follows:

1. Determine which part of the integrand can be rewritten as e^u
  2. Let u be equal to this expression
  3. Find the derivative of u and substitute it for the corresponding variable in the integrand
  4. Solve the integral in terms of u
  5. Replace u with the original expression and simplify the final answer

3. How do you know when to use e Substitution for a specific integral?

E Substitution is most commonly used when the integrand contains a function raised to a power, such as e^x or ln(x). It can also be used when the integrand contains a product of functions, or when integration by parts does not seem to be a viable option.

4. Can e Substitution be used for definite integrals?

Yes, e Substitution can be used for both indefinite and definite integrals. When solving a definite integral, be sure to adjust the limits of integration to match the new variable u.

5. Are there any limitations to using e Substitution to solve integrals?

E Substitution may not work for all integrals, and there are some cases where it may not simplify the integral at all. It is always important to consider other integration methods and determine which one would be most efficient for a given integral.

Back