Subtracting Vectors: How to Find Magnitude of A-B

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of (A-B), given two vectors A and B with magnitudes and directions. To solve it, you will need to use rectangular coordinates and components, and then convert back to polar form if necessary. Additional resources are available on Wikipedia by searching for "vector polar coordinate system".
nrdiamon
This is the problem that I was given:

Given two vectors A and B, with magnitudes |A| = 45.7 and |B|=38.2 and directions (from the x-axis) θA=64° and θB=145°, find the magnitude of (A-B)

I know that this somehow involves triangles and trigonometry, but I am really confused as to how I do this. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
nrdiamon said:
This is the problem that I was given:

Given two vectors A and B, with magnitudes |A| = 45.7 and |B|=38.2 and directions (from the x-axis) θA=64° and θB=145°, find the magnitude of (A-B)

I know that this somehow involves triangles and trigonometry, but I am really confused as to how I do this. Please help!

Welcome to the PF. To add/subtract vectors, you will use rectangular coordinates and rectangular components, and then convert back into polar form if needed for the final answer.

Does that make sense? If not, go to wikipedia.org, and search on vector rectangular polar conversion. Actually a better match at wiki is vector polar coordinate system...

Subtracting vectors involves the process of vector addition with the second vector being reversed in direction. In this case, we are looking to find the magnitude of (A-B), which can be represented as |A-B|. To do this, we can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In this case, we can use the magnitudes of A and B as the sides of the triangle and the magnitude of (A-B) as the hypotenuse.

To find the magnitude of (A-B), we can first find the components of A and B using the given directions. The x component of A can be found by multiplying the magnitude of A by the cosine of θA, and the y component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of A by the sine of θA. Similarly, the x and y components of B can be found using the magnitudes and directions given for B.

Once we have the x and y components of A and B, we can subtract them to find the components of (A-B). The x component of (A-B) would be A_x - B_x, and the y component would be A_y - B_y. We can then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of (A-B) by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the x and y components.

In this specific problem, the x component of A would be 45.7 * cos(64°) = 22.87 and the y component would be 45.7 * sin(64°) = 40.67. Similarly, the x component of B would be 38.2 * cos(145°) = -16.93 and the y component would be 38.2 * sin(145°) = 32.54. Therefore, the x component of (A-B) would be 22.87 - (-16.93) = 39.8 and the y component would be 40.67 - 32.54 = 8.13.

Using the Pythagorean theorem, the magnitude of (A-B) would be √(39.8^2 + 8.13^2) = 40.6. Therefore, the magnitude of (A-B) is approximately

Related to Subtracting Vectors: How to Find Magnitude of A-B

1. How do I subtract two vectors to find the magnitude of A-B?

To subtract two vectors, A and B, you need to find the negative of vector B and then add it to vector A. This can be written as A + (-B). The magnitude of A-B can then be found using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the components of the resulting vector.

2. What is the importance of finding the magnitude of A-B?

The magnitude of A-B is important as it tells us the length or size of the resulting vector after subtracting two vectors. It can also give us information about the direction of the resulting vector, as it is always positive and points in the same direction as the initial vector.

3. Can the magnitude of A-B ever be negative?

No, the magnitude of A-B can never be negative as it represents the length of the resulting vector and length can never be negative. It is always a positive value.

4. Do the order of the vectors matter when subtracting them?

Yes, the order of the vectors does matter when subtracting them. A-B is not the same as B-A. The resulting vector and its magnitude will be different depending on the order in which the vectors are subtracted.

5. How can I visualize the subtraction of vectors to better understand it?

To better understand the subtraction of vectors, you can use a graphical representation such as a vector diagram. Draw the initial vectors, A and B, with their tails at the same point. Then, draw the negative of vector B, which will have the same magnitude but point in the opposite direction. The resulting vector, A-B, can then be found by connecting the head of vector A to the head of -B. The magnitude of A-B can be measured using a ruler or calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.