1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sudden Perturbation of Potential Well

1. Apr 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

ettkz6.png

Part (a): Particle originally sits in well V(x) = 0 for 0 < x < a, V = ∞ elsewhere. The well suddenly doubles in length to 2a. What's the probability of the particle staying in its ground state?

Part (b): What is the duration of time that the change occur, for the particle to most likely remain in ground state?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Part (a)

For a well of length a, eigenfunction is:

[tex]u = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} sin \left(\frac{\pi x}{a}\right) [/tex]

For a well of length 2a, eigenfunction is:

[tex]v = \frac{1}{\sqrt a} sin \left(\frac{\pi x}{2a}\right) [/tex]

For probability amplitude, overlap these 2:

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \frac{\sqrt 2}{a} \int_0^{2a} 2 sin (\frac{\pi x}{a}) sin (\frac{\pi x}{2a}) dx [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \frac{\sqrt 2}{a} \int_0^{2a} cos (\frac{3\pi x}{2a}) - cos (\frac{\pi x}{2a}) dx[/tex]

which goes to zero.

Part (b)

Am I supposed to use time evolution: ## |\psi_t> = U^{-i\frac{E}{\hbar}t}## ? Doesn't seem to help..

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2014 #2
    What is the initial wavefunction in the region [itex]a<x<2a[/itex]?

4. Apr 18, 2014 #3
    It is 0 before the change in the potential, since it is a forbidden region.

5. Apr 18, 2014 #4
    Right. Do you see how that affects your overlap integral? It might help to explicitly sketch your before and after wavefunctions.

6. Apr 19, 2014 #5
    So for a < x < 2a: the overlap is zero. While for 0 < x < a, the overlap is usual - so the limits are from 0 to a, and not from 0 to 2a.

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \frac{\sqrt 2}{a} \int_0^{a} cos (\frac{3\pi x}{2a}) - cos (\frac{\pi x}{2a}) dx [/tex]

[tex] = - \frac{8}{3\pi \sqrt 2} [/tex]

So the probability = ##\frac{32}{9\pi^2}##, which is less than 1, reassuringly.

But for part (b), I haven't got a clue.

7. Apr 21, 2014 #6
    Do I need to use adiabatic approximation for part (b)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted