Sugestion for a Electrical energy generation project

In summary, the professor suggested that they generate electricity from omnidirectional acceleration, like a car's engine. They don't have to make kilowatts or milliwatts, but they need to generate at least a light bulb. The project can't be too complex and they only have one month to complete it.
Mano Jow
Hello there,

I'm new in this forum so sorry if this is not the right session to post my question.

Well I'm taking a subject called Energy: Origins, Conversion and Uses (I guess this is the correct translation) and I need to do a final project which requires me to generate electrical energy.

The problem is that there are many students, so there are going to be many eolic and hydroelectric projects. That's why I and my crew wanted to do something different.

Would you guys have any suggestions? Anything would help a lot.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

Mano Jow

Engineering news on Phys.org
make a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_engine" that runs on the waste heat of everyone else's engines. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the scale of the generator? Do you have to make kilowatts or milliwatts? You could do something that makes energy from vibration or omnidirectional acceleration.

QuantumPion said:
make a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_engine" that runs on the waste heat of everyone else's engines. :D

That's a nice idea... but I think we are going to be evaluated separately... I heard something about using plants, do you lnow this way?

Topher925 said:
What's the scale of the generator? Do you have to make kilowatts or milliwatts? You could do something that makes energy from vibration or omnidirectional acceleration.

The professor said nothing about the scale, but I think that if we can light up a lamp it's enough.

What is "omnidirectional acceleration"? I know the meaning but I'm not familiar with the phenomenon (if that's a phenomenon).

Thanks again!

Omnidirectional basically means all directions. Think of something that vibrates a lot, like a car's engine, and then being able to capture some of that vibrational energy in any axis and turning it into useful energy (electricity). In doing so not only do you produce useful energy but you also decrease the NVH of the car which auto manufacturers make a big deal about these days.

Try generating/saving energy which normally gets wasted (Don't know if its applicable for your project) e.g. generation of electricity from vehicle braking (Regenerative Braking) which is normally dissipated as heat in the brakes.

Topher925 said:
Omnidirectional basically means all directions. Think of something that vibrates a lot, like a car's engine, and then being able to capture some of that vibrational energy in any axis and turning it into useful energy (electricity). In doing so not only do you produce useful energy but you also decrease the NVH of the car which auto manufacturers make a big deal about these days.

I see. I googled for it and found this:
http://www-mtl.mit.edu/~anantha/docs/journals/2001_meninger_vlsi.pdf
But it talks about that MEMS technology, which I'm not familiar with. Is that expensive? Because we are supposed to create a low-cost engine. Can I do it without spending hundreds?
Thanks a lot Topher.

bejoynp said:
Try generating/saving energy which normally gets wasted (Don't know if its applicable for your project) e.g. generation of electricity from vehicle braking (Regenerative Braking) which is normally dissipated as heat in the brakes.
Well, I guess that might work! What way of heat-to-electric energy conversion do you suggest? Can I use a stirling engine? I just need to check with the professor if I can use, for example, a vehicle engine or if I need to build it first. Thanks a lot!

Edit: I forgot to mention... We have like one month, and it's just me and a friend, so the project can't be something too complex!

Mano Jow said:
Edit: I forgot to mention... We have like one month, and it's just me and a friend, so the project can't be something too complex!

That eliminates regen-braking then. Doing such a thing, even in simulink, is extremely complex. As for a vibrational electric generator you could easily build one for under $100. It may not be very efficient but it can certainly be done, and built within a month as well. You don't want to use MEMS technology though, that will get extremely expensive/not possible.

http://www.nistepkscience.com/Chemistry/9Electriccell.pdf

You guys helped a lot! I'll talk to my mate so we can decide which one we are going to do and start tomorrow.

Thanks a lot all of you!

1. What is the most efficient way to generate electrical energy?

The most efficient way to generate electrical energy is through the use of renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, hydro, and geothermal power. These sources have a higher energy conversion efficiency compared to traditional fossil fuels.

2. How much land is needed for a solar or wind energy project?

The amount of land needed for a solar or wind energy project depends on the specific location and the size of the project. Generally, large-scale projects require more land than small-scale ones, but the land use can be optimized through proper planning and design.

3. How long does it take to see a return on investment for an electrical energy generation project?

The return on investment for an electrical energy generation project varies depending on the type of project, location, and market conditions. On average, it can take anywhere from 5 to 10 years to see a return on investment for renewable energy projects, but this can vary significantly.

4. How does an electrical energy generation project impact the environment?

An electrical energy generation project can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. Renewable energy projects have a lower carbon footprint and produce less air and water pollution compared to traditional energy sources. However, they may also have impacts on wildlife, land use, and water resources that need to be carefully considered and mitigated.

5. What are the main challenges in implementing an electrical energy generation project?

The main challenges in implementing an electrical energy generation project include securing financing, navigating regulatory and permitting processes, finding suitable locations, and addressing potential environmental and social impacts. It also requires a thorough understanding of the local energy market and grid infrastructure to ensure successful integration of the project.