Maximizing Current Output of BLDC Generator for Power Generation Project

In summary, the speaker is using a BLDC motor with a 550 KV rating to generate power. They are able to spin the motor at 3000 RPMS, resulting in 5 Volts of power. However, they are only getting about 33mA of current, which is too low for their application of powering a small PC fan. They are unsure why there is such little current at this RPM and are speculating it should be at least 100mA or 200mA. It is noted that PC fans are generally 12V devices and there may also be voltage drops to consider. The speaker may need to use a full wave bridge instead of a half wave rectifier.
Pepelepoe
I'm using the following BLDC motor as part of a project to generate power:

http://www.rcdude.com/Cobra-C-3520-18-Brushless-Motor-p/c-3520-18.htm

I'm able to spin this motor to about 3000 RPMS which gives me about 5 Volts. This is to be expected given that the motor is rated at 550 KVs. I'm using a three-phase rectifier with a smoothing cap to convert this to DC power. What I don't understand is the current produced. I'm getting about 33mA which is to low for my application. Essentially I would like to spin a small PC fan with this power. I'm able to do it but at a very low speed given that there isn't enough current flowing from the generator. What I would like to understand is why there is so little current flowing at those RPMS. I would at least expect it to be 100mA or 200mA, but this is just speculation on my part. Apologies for my noobness. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
PC fans are generally 12V devices. And don't forget the 0.7Volt drop across each of the diodes. Also if you are using a half wave rectifier, the generator should be Wye connected. The motor you are using is Delta connected, so a full wave bridge is indicated.

1. What is a BLDC generator output current?

A BLDC (brushless direct current) generator output current is the electrical current that is produced by a BLDC generator. This type of generator uses a permanent magnet to generate electricity, rather than traditional brushes and slip rings.

2. How is the output current of a BLDC generator calculated?

The output current of a BLDC generator is calculated by dividing the output power by the output voltage. Output power is typically measured in watts, while output voltage is measured in volts.

3. What factors can affect the output current of a BLDC generator?

The output current of a BLDC generator can be affected by several factors, including the speed of the generator, the strength of the permanent magnet, and the resistance of the load connected to the generator.

4. Can the output current of a BLDC generator be regulated?

Yes, the output current of a BLDC generator can be regulated by using a control circuit or controller. This can help to maintain a steady output current even when the load or speed of the generator changes.

5. How does the output current of a BLDC generator compare to other types of generators?

The output current of a BLDC generator is typically higher than that of traditional brushed generators, due to the use of permanent magnets and the absence of brushes and slip rings. However, it may not be as high as some other types of generators, such as synchronous generators.