Suggested Fields of Research for High School Student

In summary, the speaker has been accepted into a three-year program where they work with local colleges on scientific research and need to choose a field within the next few months. They want to choose a field with many scientists still working in it and have taken Biology and a mandatory freshman Physical Science class, as well as planning to take AP Calc/Comp Physics. They have also read popular science books but are aware that these are more catered to laypeople. They will need to work with someone at the college and may be restricted by their resources and expertise.
SketchyLamb
I got accepted into a fairly competitive three-year program at my high school where we work with local colleges on scientific research and I need to choose what to do within the next couple of months. We publish our findings with several science organizations/magazines, so I want to pick a field that still has many scientists working in it.

I have taken Biology and our school's mandatory freshman Physical Science class (1/3 chemistry, 1/3 physics, 1/3 Earth science), and I'm taking AP Calc/Comp Physics next year. I've read several popular science books by Stephen Hawking, Michio Kaku, etc. but I know that those sort of books are more catered to laypeople.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't imagine you've got all that many choices. You'll have to work on your project with someone at the college, which means you're pretty much restricted to what they work on and what resources they can offer you. While you might be able to pick your own topic, if you don't have the background to work in the field mostly on your own, you won't get anywhere.

What are some suggested fields of research for high school students?

Some suggested fields of research for high school students include biology, chemistry, physics, computer science, and environmental science.

How can high school students choose a research topic within these fields?

High school students can choose a research topic by identifying their interests and strengths within a particular field, discussing potential topics with their teachers or mentors, and researching current trends and advancements in the field.

What are the benefits of conducting research as a high school student?

Conducting research as a high school student can provide valuable hands-on experience in a particular field, develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and potentially lead to future career opportunities or college scholarships.

Are there any resources available to help high school students with their research?

Yes, there are many resources available to help high school students with their research, such as online databases, scientific journals, and academic articles. Additionally, many universities and research institutions offer programs and workshops specifically for high school students.

Is it necessary for high school students to have a background in a particular field before conducting research?

Having a background in a particular field can be helpful, but it is not necessary for high school students to conduct research. Many research projects can be designed to be accessible to students with varying levels of knowledge and experience. It is important for students to have a strong interest and motivation to learn and explore their chosen topic.