What Makes Rock the Suggestion Box the Coolest Place to Vent?

In summary, Rock the Suggestion Box is a place for people to share their ideas and rants. It is not a place for questions.
Gokul43201 said:
There's a couple bottles of Classico Riserva. Will that do ? How many glasses ?

Yep, that will do! Can someone less drunk than me double check the label on those "fava beans?" I seem to recall something else was supposed to be stored next to the pickled onions, and I think they were important to tribdog. :rolleyes: :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
Are we calling it a night then ?

It's been fun. Yeah, I missed some of the fireworks, but the aftermath is quite entertaining ! Moonbear, I'm glad I emptied the 150 proof Bacardi into your hurricanes.

Awright people...we finish these here Chiantis and then, pick yourselves up and march...

Trib, I'll doggie-bag the Bushmills for you.

Thanks Gokul! We'll have to make the Suggestion Box our regular watering hole. Great place here. Goodnight everyone. Anyone need to share a cab?

Where'd everyone go?

I'm ready to PARTY! *holds up bottle of Nyquil*

BOTTOMS UP! :biggrin:

Last edited:
oh gawd. why do I party on weekdays. everyone keep it down please.polyb, HEY POLYB. Get up, get off the floor.
man I feel horrible. and my breath is visible, yuck. Where's my toothbrush? Here it is. mmmphm ifjnkaf mmphhph, pfffft. that's better. OW SH*T I GOT TOOTHPASTE IN MY EYE!

Moonbear said:
Anyone need to share a cab?

What happened to the hypersonic cyber tour bus? In for repairs?

Or are they upgrading the liquour cabinet and still?

Last edited:
lol, everyone left about 5 hours ago. We let you sleep, you just looked so comfortable cuddled up with polyb, keeping him warm with your beard, we didn't have the heart to wake you.

:biggrin: Thank you guys, all your kindness, good wine (I had a couple of gin-sevens) and wonderful songs finally stopped me from foaming in the mouth :smile: . Thanks mates.

Bartender...3 shots of Robitussin (jager) please...and can you turn on the tv and play the video of those insane motorcycle wrecks-n-stuff and some equally raucus music like Ramstein, Motorhead or something, and while you're at it can you turn on the strobes, smoke machine and disco ball please. (looks down the bar and sees a few Nuns wearing skirts that are a liii-ttle too high and 6 inch pumps(drool)) BARKEEP! Just put the bottle up here.

If not, could you play Bob Marley-One Love and turn down the lights, please?

*Or anything from the Legends album.

Last edited:
tribdog said:
oh gawd. why do I party on weekdays. everyone keep it down please.polyb, HEY POLYB. Get up, get off the floor.
man I feel horrible. and my breath is visible, yuck. Where's my toothbrush? Here it is. mmmphm ifjnkaf mmphhph, pfffft. that's better. OW SH*T I GOT TOOTHPASTE IN MY EYE!

Its ok tribdog, i haven't slept since sunday.

what's worse 0 hours of sleep or 2 hours?

tribdog said:
what's worse 0 hours of sleep or 2 hours?

Depends.

For me, i'd rather have no sleep actually. Two hours of sleep leaves me groggy and comatose. None, I'm still running full steam, that's why I'm awake.

I used to have trouble sleeping, but with this trebuchet I've been building I usually end up knocking myself out and get my rest that way.

tribdog said:
I used to have trouble sleeping, but with this trebuchet I've been building I usually end up knocking myself out and get my rest that way.

Can i borrow that?

franznietzsche said:
Can i borrow that?
If these belt sanders are finally ready, I'll drive it over to you. First I need a really long extension cord.

Let me show you how this trebuchet works. I designed it with a much heavier counterweight than usual because it is a little bit longer than average. see this here, this is where the stone goes and if you...whoops... *chnk* *schooooooooooooooooooooooop* SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiit*poofd*

Last edited:
I'm okay, I'm okay. Just give me a few minutes to get back. I hate when I do that. you'd think I'd come up with a different method of launching things, but whenever I get around to it I can't seem to remember why I wanted to change it in case of fire please break glass...what was I saying?
Oh wow, Cool! a trebuchet. Is it yours? I've always wanted one of these. How does it work? What's this thing here? ...whoops...
*chnk*schoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop*
SSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOONNNNNOOOOOFFAAAAAAAaaabb

Last edited:
Seriously, how have you survived this long?

note: more than 24 hours of awakeness under my belt now, at least another 12 to go.

This is the place to rant? Well, here goes.

I have a project where I was told to use another job as a guide. That job used 30" dia. Round ductwork mounted at the underside of the structure. They also told us to keep 16' - 0" clear above the floor to the underside of the duct. Fine so far. Then the architect and structural engineer set the roof structure so the bottom of steel is at 16'-1" above the floor! :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

I'll take a Heineken please, Barkeep.

Hey Tribdog, would you kindly frost my glass with some of that liquid Nitrogen? (Oh and whatever you do, don't dip your, you-know-what, into the liquid nitrogen. It will make it hard, but it will also make it break and fall off. :wink: )

It sounds like you had better start pounding those round ducts into thin rectangular ones. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
It sounds like you had better start pounding those round ducts into thin rectangular ones. :biggrin:
A guy I used to work with said that he went out to a job site once and was looking at a conflict between duct and steel and he said he told the tin knocker "It won't fit."

The tin knocker took a hammer and banged on the duct until it was shallow enough and then he said, "It fits now."

My friend said he never worried too much about how the ductwork was shown after that.

But 1" clearance! Good grief. That will take a lot of hammering. :yuck:

I can commiserate with your owner and site engineer problems as well.

Just for the record, do not try to discuss stellar astrophysics when you have not slept in 27 hours and are running purely on caffeine and suffering from severe muscle fatigue. Its damn hard. And i have more classes to day. Can you tell how much caffeine I've had. I need a needle, and someone to fill it with caffeine for me, then i'll make it until night fall...

franznietzsche said:
Just for the record, do not try to discuss stellar astrophysics when you have not slept in 27 hours and are running purely on caffeine and suffering from severe muscle fatigue. Its damn hard. And i have more classes to day. Can you tell how much caffeine I've had. I need a needle, and someone to fill it with caffeine for me, then i'll make it until night fall...

I used to have an old Dilbert cartoon in my office where he has an IV drip of coffee going. That was right next to the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon with Calvin complaining he was on Tokyo time when he mom tried waking him up for school and he was too tired to get up, and then at bedtime he was wide awake. I miss Calvin and Hobbes.

Moonbear said:
I used to have an old Dilbert cartoon in my office where he has an IV drip of coffee going. That was right next to the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon with Calvin complaining he was on Tokyo time when he mom tried waking him up for school and he was too tired to get up, and then at bedtime he was wide awake. I miss Calvin and Hobbes.

I was screaming for a caffeine IV for ten minutes or so before i downed close to 40 oz of Pepsi. I'm going to need more coffee in an hour though. Double espresso should hold me through my last class then.

franznietzsche said:
I was screaming for a caffeine IV for ten minutes or so before i downed close to 40 oz of Pepsi. I'm going to need more coffee in an hour though. Double espresso should hold me through my last class then.

Is there a reason you don't just take naps if you're tired during the day? Enjoy being able to do that while you're still a student.

Moonbear said:
Is there a reason you don't just take naps if you're tired during the day? Enjoy being able to do that while you're still a student.

The student part means class, and midterms. So normally napping might be an option, but not today.

There's the problem that once i am down, i stay down, getting back up is a pain. Getting up in the morning is effortless when you haven't slept, but getting up after nine hours is very hard. Of course, a few hours later the situation is reversed (not to mention the biological clock going, "if you've been awake for so long, why the heck is the sun coming up??")

Last edited:
polyb said:
*with almost empty old comber bottle in hand, takes drink*

theese wunes fur seester Evo

"Oh the summertime is coming
And the trees are sweetly blooming
And the wild mountain thyme
Grows around the blooming heather
Will ye go, Lassie go?
Chorus
And we'll all go together
To pluck wild mountain thyme
All around the blooming heather
Will ye go, Lassie go?

I will build my love a tower
Near yon' pure crystal fountain
And on it I will build
All the flowers of the mountain
Will ye go, Lassie go?

If my true love she were gone
I would surely find another
Where wild mountain thyme
Grows around the blooming heather
Will ye go, Lassie go?"

EEEAAAYE! :tongue2:

*drops to floor, curls up in fetal position mumbling incoherently about lucky charms and lost lassies*
Wow, I missed a lot last night! <sniff> That was beautiful polyb! <sniff>

I made a big pot of Colcannon polyb, (shoves big glop of colcannon into polyb's computer) :smile:

Last edited:
Artman said:
A guy I used to work with said that he went out to a job site once and was looking at a conflict between duct and steel and he said he told the tin knocker "It won't fit."

The tin knocker took a hammer and banged on the duct until it was shallow enough and then he said, "It fits now."

My friend said he never worried too much about how the ductwork was shown after that.

But 1" clearance! Good grief. That will take a lot of hammering. :yuck:

I can commiserate with your owner and site engineer problems as well.

I think I need to refine my definition of an engineer. My previous definition is "someone who uses common sense to build stuff." Now I realize it's "someone who uses their common sense to tell someone who doesn't have common sense how to build stuff based on only the specifications the person without common sense thought were necessary to share." Is that closer? :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I think I need to refine my definition of an engineer. My previous definition is "someone who uses common sense to build stuff." Now I realize it's "someone who uses their common sense to tell someone who doesn't have common sense how to build stuff based on only the specifications the person without common sense thought were necessary to share." Is that closer? :biggrin:
replace common sense with random thought and you're right on the button.

Evo said:
Wow, I missed a lot last night! <sniff> That was beautiful polyb! <sniff>

I'm made a big pot of Colcannon polyb, (shoves big glop of colcannon into polyb's computer) :smile:

Ahh, thank you las! Yur an angel sent frum haven to be so kind to a wretch like meself!

What happened, it's all such a blur. Gokul started feeding me beers while I was running supplies, I think I started signing, people were laughing at the oddist things and complaining about things like how some crazy engineers were driving to slow? I remember getting some whisky and things just got stranger: Sheep herding lepprichans serving pies in the shape of kidneys; lassie the TV dog firing trebuchets with full of liquid nitrogen and cereal; Nuns crazy with superglue while some guy was having sex with a light beer in a canoe; some guy hooked up to an IV of liquid butane working furiously on not sleeping while sanding bottles of nyquil; finally it was like I was lost in a thicket of burley sheep's wool when I finally gave up, then darkness. WOW, what a night?:redface: :blushing: :redface:

Has anyone seen the hair of that tribdog that bit me?

tribdog said:
replace common sense with random thought and you're right on the button.

Nope, that's how I define what a tribdog is. :biggrin:

Now, why did you bite Polyb?

Moonbear said:
Now, why did you bite Polyb?

I BIT SOMEONE? :redface: :redface:

I'm so ashamed of myself. :redface::redface::redface:

I knew I should have got my rabies shots last week when I was supposed to, hurry up and find out who I bit and see if they are foaming at the mouth yet. There still may be time otherwise they'll have to be shot!

Now I need a drink! :uhh:

wait, WHHHEEW! I thought you said I bit someone, nevermind!:biggrin:

Last edited:
polyb said:
I BIT SOMEONE? :redface: :redface:

I'm so ashamed of myself. :redface::redface::redface:

I knew I should have got my rabies shots last week when I was supposed to, hurry up and find out who I bit and see if they are foaming at the mouth yet. There still may be time otherwise they'll have to be shot!

Now I need a drink! :uhh:

wait, WHHHEEW! I thought you said I bit someone, nevermind!:biggrin

I don't know, getting bit by a tribdog might be worse. You're the one who was looking for the hair of the tribdog that bit you. It's okay, here's some aspirin and a cup of strong coffee for that hangover. *pours coffee into polyb's computer*

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! I 'll just add a little whiskey to get rid of tribdog's hair! PPPPTTHHHHAAAAPPPTT! *shoves ball of hair into computer*
This belongs to you I think!

Thank you sister, may I have your mother?:rofl:

Back