Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion: Pinned Posts!

1. Sep 10, 2013 #1

drizzle

Gold Member

Hello Greg (and all :biggrin:)

Why not have a feature that allow members (gold members if you wish :devil:) to pin posts that are interesting to them? Probably locate "my favourite posts" link some place in "my PF". Better than doing some search, and you know, memory glitch is horrible. :grumpy:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Why don't you subscribe to the thread you like? You will have an easy access to the thread through your profile then.

4. Sep 10, 2013 #3
    Just make a folder called 'Favorites' in the subscription screen. (Go to the Edit Folders option.)

5. Sep 10, 2013 #4

drizzle

Gold Member

Yeah, but after a while, or many subscribed threads in my PF, I lose track of certain posts that I want to check. Some threads even have 100s of posts (like PF RT), it's gonna take a long time to find it. That being said, I might not remember where is the post located.. I know. :biggrin:

Favorite threads or posts?

6. Sep 10, 2013 #5
    Threads. :frown:

7. Sep 10, 2013 #6
    Also, I think there's some kind of "bug" in the subscriptions.

Let's say I post to a thread and noone posts after me. If I go to "My PF", it still appears there, sometimes bold.

Shouldn't "My PF" only show subscriptions threads that have NEW posts?

EDIT:

Also, I vote (not that anyone cares) in favour of Gad's suggestion.

8. Sep 14, 2013 #7
    You can bookmark single posts. Just click on the post number in the upper right corner of the post and bookmark the page.

9. Oct 24, 2013 #8
    Am I the only one having this problem?

10. Oct 24, 2013 #9

drizzle

Gold Member

Can't you remove the subscriptions to such threads, or even threads you don't like to receive email notifications for?

11. Oct 24, 2013 #10
    I can, but that's not the issue.

I'd like to have a feature that tells me which subscribed threads have new posts. "MY PF" shows threads that have no new posts. I believe that's a bug, but noone seems to care ://

12. Oct 24, 2013 #11

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Visit these threads - do they still show in bold?

Visit these threads following links from the subscribed threads list - do they still show in bold?

Forum software has some quirks, no doubt about it. It is not that we don't care - but we are not authors of this software. While we sometimes can modify the code to suit our needs, debugging it is counterproductive - we don't know the code good enough and it is not documented well enough, so trying to fix something that is not important is a waste of time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook