Suggestions for beginner in Robotics?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a person who is a beginner in robotics and is looking for suggestions on how to start learning. They are interested in making simple robots or circuit designs at home and are also considering reading books or watching online videos. The conversation also touches on the option of joining a training institute for automation and robotics, specifically in India. The person is also seeking recommendations for courses to take at such institutes as an Electronics and Telecom engineer. A suggestion is made to contact ABB Research in Bangalore for more information.
ramdas
I am studying Electronics and Telecom Engineering and beginner in Robotics.I want to make serious start from scratch with interest but confused from where to start.So can anyone give some suggestions for
1.As a beginner in robotics ,are there some simple and basic robots or circuit designs which I can make by myself in the home(so that I can gain practical knowledge of robots)?
2.or should I first read books (can anyone suggest some good reference book names,articles ,links,free on-line video lecture series)?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could check out the Arduino platform. It's basically a computer that can read sensors and drive actuators. The limit is your imagination and how much you want to spend.

Some makers have built simple robot wheeled vehicles using the arduino to control speed and direction with some added sensors to prevent wall collisions or detect a light source or sound source...

http://www.arduino.cc

Wikipedia has a summary of what arduino is about that may be a good starting point too

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduino

I have recently completed my engineering in Electronics and Telecom stream.I am still a fresher and wanting to get placement in the robotics and automation based company .For that I am planning to join training institute. So

1.Which are the best Automation and Robotics training institutes(e.g. prolific,vector,technocrat etc but don't know about their ranking and whether they are good or bad) in India which can give me quality training (name and location)
2.Are there any free on-line video lecture series to learn from home?

3..Also,which courses should I must select (like PLC ,ARDUINO,SCADA) from such institutes as E&TC engineer?

Contact ABB Research in Bangalore.

Q: What are the essential skills needed for a beginner in robotics?

A: The essential skills needed for a beginner in robotics include basic programming knowledge, mechanical design and assembly skills, understanding of electronics and circuits, and problem-solving abilities.

Q: What are some good resources for learning about robotics?

A: There are many online resources available for learning about robotics, such as online courses, tutorials, and educational websites. Additionally, joining a robotics club or attending workshops and conferences can provide hands-on experience and networking opportunities.

Q: What type of robotics kit is recommended for beginners?

A: A basic robotics kit with pre-assembled parts and simple programming capabilities is recommended for beginners. This will allow for a better understanding of the fundamentals before moving on to more advanced kits.

Q: How can I practice and improve my skills in robotics?

A: One of the best ways to practice and improve skills in robotics is by working on personal projects or participating in competitions. This will provide hands-on experience and allow for experimentation and problem-solving.

Q: Are there any important safety precautions to keep in mind when working with robotics?

A: Yes, it is important to always follow safety guidelines and instructions when working with robotics, including wearing protective gear, properly handling tools and equipment, and being cautious around moving parts and electricity.