Suicide bomber - a breathing, moving bomb among you

• Thread starter jackson6612
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bomb
In summary, religious beliefs do not play a significant role in suicide bombing. The person committing suicide is influenced by their emotions and personal experiences, rather than any religious beliefs.
jackson6612
I have seen many people both on TV and newspaper articles say that religion has much to do in pushing, motivating someone toward the idea of suicide bombing. I won't go into details to support my thesis but I believe a human doesn't really follow, adhere to any particular religion. They choose only those parts of their religion which suit them. I'm not suggesting that there is no God. Well, we better keep God out this discussion. A suicide bomber could be anyone; they could be from any religion, any part of the world. When a person has been socially ill-treated or is depressed for some personal reasons and has decided to commit suicide. Then, a slightest grudge against society can turn him into a suicide bomber. It is nonsense to think that he would consider it a crime or think that other people's lives have some value. When he has decided to throw away the value of his own life, then why would he care about the value of something else.

Suppose, someone is ready to commit suicide. He has his finger on a button which when pressed would result in destruction of all the human life on earth. He starts thinking that there would be too many people like him around the world who are going through the same kind of pain as him, and he also knows that there would be many who are happy with their lives. Jealousy is an important part of human nature, psyche. I think he would go with pressing that button and won't feel any guilt for his decision. What difference does it make if a happy one or a sad one die? I don't think much. Especially, to the person thinking of pressing button would be more connected to the misfortunate ones around than the happy ones. He will definitely press that button. To him, it would be a noble idea. No human, no suffering, no pain.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is very deep reading and very interesting to read on my end. Especially after watching endless news reports of suicide bombers and religious extremist. I totally agree with you on "They choose only those parts of their religion which suit them.". And I believe this to be very true. Just recently in my English class we were analyzing some argumentative essays and we read one about terrorism. The author talked about how Bin Laden justifies his war based on a corpus of Muslim beliefs and can find enough ammunition in the Quran to give his war a partina of religious legitimacy. For instance, Bind Laden often invokes the "Sword" verses of the Quran, which urge unprovoked (preemptive) attacks on infidels. Of course, that is selective reading of the Quran as there are other verses that justify only "defensive" jihads. Many Muslims hate Bin Laden because he just uses religion as a facade of his war. Like all wars, he is in it for his own personal benefits and just use the "words of God" to justify what he is going. And this is how I believe he convinces these sad suicide bombers into what they do. He brainwashes them into thinking it is right. I can't even describe my hate for Bin Laden and all of the things he has done, but I know one day he will suffer.

I think that's one of the major flaws of many people. Empathy can only go so far and as people, most of us have lived through a chain of circumstances only experienced by one person. It shapes one's perspective to see the world in a specific way personally appearing to the person as the "right" way, and the persons ego expects everyone to see that way, not realizing that it's impossible.

It's something I keep in mind daily, and it especially helps when you run into people who are just jerks, you don't know how they grew up and expecting them to behave like you doesn't make sense.

As far as suicide bombers, I think Bin laden makes it a point to recruit people that have nothing to lose, he barks, they bite in search of meaning I'm guessing. What they don't consider is that the things they're promised in death, were contemplated with earthly senses that cease to exist when your body is blown into hamburger.

Mind that rant of sorts

My grandfather was a very nice chap, bird watcher and local bank manager.
But he and 6 chums did go out everynight and drop phosphorus bombs on the grandparents of my current employer.

I don't think he was necessarily convinced that God had divinely appointed King George as monarch - but that was the official reason.

I will leave this one alone.

As soon as i read the name of this thread i was anxious to see whether this thread involves anything about religion or not and being from a country which has suffered from suicide bombers(PAKISTAN) more then any other i have so say that any person that does not fit in the society or has a grudge against the society can easily be used as suicide bomber by the terrorists but these people are not just blowing themselves and others in the name of religion they think that they are fighting against a system that is run by people which are nothing but puppets of the American establishment and because they have a lot of grudge against America(due to the drone attacks and other reasons) they will take such actions not knowing that they are taking the lives of their own brothers in the process.

The OP is no longer a member here.

1. What is a suicide bomber?

A suicide bomber is an individual who deliberately carries out a bombing attack with the intention of killing themselves and others. They typically wear explosives and detonate them in crowded or public places.

2. What motivates someone to become a suicide bomber?

There is no one specific motivation for someone to become a suicide bomber. It varies depending on the individual and the group they are affiliated with. Some may be driven by religious or political beliefs, while others may be coerced or forced into it by a group.

3. How do suicide bombers acquire explosives?

Suicide bombers can acquire explosives through various means, such as purchasing them on the black market, stealing them from military or government sources, or making them themselves with readily available materials.

4. Are there any common warning signs that someone may be planning to become a suicide bomber?

There is no one specific warning sign that someone may be planning to become a suicide bomber. However, some common indicators include sudden changes in behavior, expressions of extreme beliefs, and isolation from friends and family.

5. How can we prevent suicide bombings?

Preventing suicide bombings is a complex issue that requires a multi-faceted approach. This can include addressing root causes such as poverty and political instability, monitoring and disrupting terrorist networks, and implementing security measures such as increased surveillance and screening at public places.