1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum converging to pi^2/6, why?

1. Mar 28, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Sum converging to pi^2/6, why?

I've seen the identity,
    [tex]\frac{\pi^2}{6}=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]
    but I've never seen a proof of this. Could anyone tell me why this is true?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2008 #2
    well this is a p-series. So the series [tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] , converges if

[tex]\int_1^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^{2}}=\lim_{b\rightarrow\infty}\int_1^b x^{-2}dx=-\lim_{b\rightarrow\infty}( \frac{1}{x}|_1^b)=-\lim_{b\rightarrow\infty}(\frac{1}{b}-1)=1[/tex]

I don't see how would this converge to what u wrote though.. sorry..

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  4. Mar 28, 2008 #3
    I'm well aware that the sum converges, but I'm curious why it converges to [itex]\frac{\pi^1}{6}[/itex], and not some other value. The integral and the sum have different values. The integral is 1, the sum is not.

5. Mar 28, 2008 #4

Have you learned power series?? I think you have to write the power series for that serie, and after that use the methods of power series to calculate that sum.

6. Mar 28, 2008 #5
    If this were a power series, it would involve [itex]n![/itex].

7. Mar 28, 2008 #6
  8. Mar 28, 2008 #7

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

9. Mar 28, 2008 #8
    Thanks that's what I wanted to see.

10. Mar 28, 2008 #9
    That's a very nice explanation, Euler was a true master of mathematics :smile:

11. Mar 28, 2008 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The power series for a series? You can think of a numerical series as a power series (in x) evaluated at a specific value of a but there are an infinite number of power series that can produce a given series in that way.

No, a power series is any series of the form [itex]\Sum a_n x^n[/itex] where [itex]a_n[/itex] is any sequence of numbers. Even the Taylor's series for ln(x) does not involve n!

12. Mar 28, 2008 #11
    My bad. Most involve n!, but all involve n.

13. Mar 28, 2008 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Except those that involve "i"! Do you have any support for your statement that "most" power series involve a factorial? That is certainly not my experience.

14. Mar 28, 2008 #13

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

gamesguru just took a weighted average over all power series, giving ones he (?) knew weight 1/n and all others weight 0. :wink:

15. Mar 28, 2008 #14
    e^x (hyperbolic functions included), sin[x], cos[x], tan[x] all have a factorial in their power series. The only useful examples I can think of that don't have a factorial are the inverse trig functions and the natural log. Anyways, I don't want to get into an argument, I'll just rephrase myself, most power series that I've seen and observe as useful, involve a factorial. And no, I can't prove that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?