I could give you the solution or I could give you a hint. Let me give you the hint first. The hint is:
log (1+x) = x -x^2/2 + x^3/3 - x^4/4 + x^5/5.. (ad nauseum to infinity)= $\int \frac{1}{1+x}dx$.
Substituting $x=1$ gives you your Eq. 2. You seem to have been thinking only symbolically so far, and that's why you are at wit's end. Now try thinking about what summations over variables really mean.
In your question, you have two summations, or alternatively two integrals; one in a dummy variable (let's call it $r$), the other in $x$. Remember that summations are discrete representations of integrals (with dx=a unit step).
$int \frac{1}{1+x}\left[ \int^{x} \frac{1}{1-r}dr \right] dx$
There's a mistake in the above equation for you to take note of but you should have sufficient direction to move forward. So you might ask how can we take the $\frac{(-1)^i}{i}$ out of the term... that's only because $\sum_j$ does not affect $i$, so it's effectively a constant under that summation. Also look up the term 'dilogarithms'.
I will post the solution after I get to work, which should be around two hours from now, unless there's dead deers or rednecks blocking the traffic.