Sum of a series resulting in a logarithm

In summary, you need to use the transform $j=r+1$, and the final solution is $\int I_n= -\frac{n!}{(n-1)!}\sin^n(x) \cos(x) -nI_n$
Heirot

Homework Statement

Prove: [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{i-1} \frac{(-1)^i}{i j}=\frac{1}{2}\ln^2 2[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\ln 2 = \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{i+1}}{i}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to manipulate the l.h.s. of the problem to transform it into [tex]\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{i+j}}{i j}[/tex] but I just can't seem to get it.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I could give you the solution or I could give you a hint. Let me give you the hint first. The hint is:
log (1+x) = x -x^2/2 + x^3/3 - x^4/4 + x^5/5.. (ad nauseum to infinity)= $\int \frac{1}{1+x}dx$.

Substituting $x=1$ gives you your Eq. 2. You seem to have been thinking only symbolically so far, and that's why you are at wit's end. Now try thinking about what summations over variables really mean.

In your question, you have two summations, or alternatively two integrals; one in a dummy variable (let's call it $r$), the other in $x$. Remember that summations are discrete representations of integrals (with dx=a unit step).

$int \frac{1}{1+x}\left[ \int^{x} \frac{1}{1-r}dr \right] dx$

There's a mistake in the above equation for you to take note of but you should have sufficient direction to move forward. So you might ask how can we take the $\frac{(-1)^i}{i}$ out of the term... that's only because $\sum_j$ does not affect $i$, so it's effectively a constant under that summation. Also look up the term 'dilogarithms'.

I will post the solution after I get to work, which should be around two hours from now, unless there's dead deers or rednecks blocking the traffic.

Last edited:
sshzp4 said:
I will post the solution after I get to work, which should be around two hours from now, unless there's dead deers or rednecks blocking the traffic.
You should review the forum rules. Posting solutions isn't allowed here.

vela said:
You should review the forum rules. Posting solutions isn't allowed here.

Thanks vela. I wasn't aware of that.

Okay Heirot. You are on your own there now. The final hints:
1. You need to use the transform $j=r+1$. (You might want to check if the i-1 on top of your second summation sign in your Eq. 1, it is likely that that could be a i+1 instead). By no means is this the only transform that you use.

2. You end up with an integral expression that is expressed in terms of itself. I don't know the technical descriptor for this. eg. $I_n= -\frac{n!}{(n-1)!}\sin^n(x) \cos(x) -nI_n$ where $n$ is a constant and $I_n$ is the integral equation. Then you can solve the whole thing and substitute $x=1$ to get the final solution and then go and watch a movie.

(I am too lazy/find it intellectually abhorrent to read anything that can be described as 'rules of behavior', my personal failing obviously.)

Oh, I see, this can't be proven the way I was doing it. Thanks for your help!

FAQ: Sum of a series resulting in a logarithm

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of a series resulting in a logarithm?

The formula for finding the sum of a series resulting in a logarithm is ln(n), where n is the number of terms in the series. This formula is also known as the natural logarithm.

2. How do I calculate the sum of a series resulting in a logarithm?

To calculate the sum of a series resulting in a logarithm, you can use the formula ln(n) or you can use the logarithmic properties to simplify the series and then find the sum. For example, if the series is ln(2) + ln(3) + ln(4), you can use the property ln(a) + ln(b) = ln(ab) to simplify it to ln(24). Then you can use the formula ln(n) to find the sum, which in this case would be ln(3).

3. Can the sum of a series resulting in a logarithm be negative?

No, the sum of a series resulting in a logarithm cannot be negative. This is because logarithms are only defined for positive numbers. Therefore, the sum of a series resulting in a logarithm will always be a positive number or zero.

4. What is the significance of the sum of a series resulting in a logarithm in mathematics?

The sum of a series resulting in a logarithm is significant in mathematics because it is used to solve various problems involving exponential growth and decay. It is also frequently used in calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts.

5. Can the sum of a series resulting in a logarithm be an irrational number?

Yes, the sum of a series resulting in a logarithm can be an irrational number. For example, if the series is ln(2) + ln(3) + ln(4), the simplified form would be ln(24), which is an irrational number. This is because the natural logarithm of any number greater than 1 is an irrational number.