Sum of discrete uniform random variables

• Thread starter avidaware
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Let ##X_k## be iid uniform discrete on ##\{0,...,9\}##. Find the distribution of ##\sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{X_k}{10^k}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a lot of things, I've tried decomposing ##X_k## into 10 bernoulli trials, I've tried using some form of central limit theorem. I've tried calculating the characteristic functions, then taking the limit and I get something really ugly. Any hints? I feel like there is some limit theorem I don't know.

Answers and Replies

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

Let ##X_k## be iid uniform discrete on ##\{0,...,9\}##. Find the distribution of ##\sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{X_k}{10^k}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a lot of things, I've tried decomposing ##X_k## into 10 bernoulli trials, I've tried using some form of central limit theorem. I've tried calculating the characteristic functions, then taking the limit and I get something really ugly. Any hints? I feel like there is some limit theorem I don't know.

If you observe ##Y = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} X_k / 10^k## you will see a random number between 0 and 1 and whose decimal digits are iid uniformly distributed in 0--9. How do you think such a number will be distributed?

Last edited: