Sum of Series: Li_{-b}(e^{ia}) & Cesaro Sum C(k,a,b)

In summary, the sum of the series \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}n^{b}e^{ian} for every a and b to be Real numbers is Li_{-b}(e^{ia}) from the definition of Polylogarithm. It is a Dirichlet series that converges locally uniformly towards a holomorphic function on some right half plain of C. The series can be obtained from a series containing only the e-term by differentiating it b times with respect to c. The Cesaro summability and its Cesaro sum C(k,a,b) for k bigger than 'b' and a=0 can also be considered.
zetafunction
what is the sum of this series ??

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}n^{b}e^{ian} [/tex] for every a and b to be Real numbers

from the definition of POlylogarithm i would say [tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}n^{b}e^{ian}= Li_{-b}(e^{ia})[/tex]

however i would like to know if the sum is Cesaro summable and what it would be its Cesaro sum [tex] C(k,a,b) [/tex] for k bigger than 'b' , and a=0 , thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!

I'm not really familiar with the Cesaro summability, so I'm not possibly answering your question.. at least not the last one.

Anyway - here's my suggestion:

First, let c:=ia

The series you typed is a Dirichlet series. It converges locally unimormly towards a holomorphic function on some right half plain of C. Now the local uniformity allows us to interchange summation and differentiation/integration. (another way of proving the latter is by using measure theory and the counting measure on R or C - limits can be interchanged since the 'e-to-the-i*n' term is bounded for every n by the constant function 1 and the e-function is monotone, so the partial sum would also be bounded (dominated convergence thm.))

This particular series is obtainable from the series containing only the e-term by differentiating it b times wrt. c . So we could pull out a differential operator to the b-th power in front of the sum by linearity. Then realising the series contains only a 'e-to-the-i' term I could try using the geometric series and do some algebra...

I hope this could be somehow helpful

best regards,
marin

Related to Sum of Series: Li_{-b}(e^{ia}) & Cesaro Sum C(k,a,b)

1. What is the formula for calculating the sum of a series?

The formula for calculating the sum of a series is given by the expression Li-b(eia) & Cesaro Sum C(k,a,b), where Li-b(x) represents the logarithmic integral function and C(k,a,b) represents the Cesaro sum.

2. How does the logarithmic integral function contribute to the sum of a series?

The logarithmic integral function, denoted by Li-b(x), is used to calculate the sum of a series by considering the behavior of the series at infinity. It takes into account the growth rate of the terms in the series and helps determine whether the series converges or diverges.

3. What is the significance of the Cesaro sum in the formula for the sum of a series?

The Cesaro sum, denoted by C(k,a,b), is a type of averaging process applied to a series to determine its sum. It is particularly useful when the series does not converge in the traditional sense, and allows for a more generalized definition of the sum of a series.

4. How do the parameters k, a, and b affect the sum of the series?

The parameters k, a, and b in the formula for the sum of a series represent the order of summation, the phase shift, and the rate of growth, respectively. Changing these parameters can alter the behavior of the series and can affect whether the series converges or diverges.

5. In what fields of science is the concept of sum of series commonly used?

The concept of sum of series is commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and statistics. It is particularly useful in studying the behavior of infinite sequences and series and is applied in various real-world applications, such as signal processing, financial analysis, and data analysis.