Sum over primes asymtotics

• Thread starter zetafunction
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primes Sum
In summary, the following function is asymptotically valid whenever dealing sums over primes. However, if you try to use it for functions that aren't well behaved, it will fail.
zetafunction
is the following asymptotic approximation valid whenever dealing sums over primes ?? [tex] \sum_{p\le x}f(p) \sim \int_{2}^{x}\frac{f(x)dx}{log(x)} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
f(x)=1 if x is a prime number, 0 otherwise

You'll definitely need at least some assumptions like continuity, and probably uniform continuity, otherwise you could just make f(x) approximately zero except for at prime numbers, where it forms sharper and sharper spikes over time

Even then, if f(x) only had finite support, say f(x)=1 for x<6, f(x)=7-x if 6<x<7, 0 if x>7, then you will never get the difference to become small or the ratio of the two to become close to each other (I'm not sure exactly what you mean by ~ in this case but since for x>7 the two stop changing and are not equal to each other, it's obviously not the case that they become asymptotically close for any definition of asymptotic)

i mean ASYMPTOTIC that is the quotient between the series and the integral will tend to 1 for big x

for example if you set f(x)=1 you get the Prime Number Theorem

And if you set f(x) to be either of the examples that I gave in my post you don't get such a result

I assume the integral was intended to be [tex]\int_2^x\frac{f(t)dt}{\log t}[/tex].Here's a uniformly continuous function supported on x > 0 where the two differ asymptotically:

[tex]f(x) = 2^{-x}[/tex] for x a positive integer
[tex]f(x) = 1[/tex] for x a positive half-integer
[tex]f(x) = (\lfloor x\rfloor-x+1/2)f(\lfloor x\rfloor)+x-\lfloor x\rfloor[/tex] for [tex]\lfloor x\rfloor<x<\lfloor x\rfloor+1/2[/tex]
[tex]f(x) = x-\lfloor x\rfloor-1/2+(\lfloor x\rfloor+1-x)f(\lfloor x\rfloor+1)[/tex] for [tex]\lfloor x\rfloor+1/2<x<\lfloor x\rfloor+1[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{p\le x}f(p)\sim1\ldots[/tex] (actually, 0.4146825... + o(1), where the number is Sloane's A051006)
while
[tex]\int_2^x\frac{f(t)dt}{\log t}\sim\frac{x}{2\log x}[/tex]What about restricting f to monotonic functions? I mean with all the other stuff -- without uniform continuity I think I can make it fail even for monotonics.

Last edited:
well, how about trying it for WELL BEHAVED function ? like polynomials , trigonometric and all this stuff ..

Related to Sum over primes asymtotics

1. What is the "Sum over primes asymptotics"?

The "Sum over primes asymptotics" is a mathematical concept that involves finding the approximate value of a sum of prime numbers. It is used to study the behavior of the sum as the number of primes increases towards infinity.

2. How is the "Sum over primes asymptotics" calculated?

The "Sum over primes asymptotics" is calculated using various mathematical techniques such as the Euler-Maclaurin formula, the prime number theorem, and the Riemann zeta function. These techniques help to approximate the value of the sum as the number of primes grows.

3. What is the significance of the "Sum over primes asymptotics" in mathematics?

The "Sum over primes asymptotics" is significant because it provides insights into the distribution of prime numbers and their properties. It is also used in various areas of mathematics, including number theory, analysis, and cryptography.

4. Can the "Sum over primes asymptotics" be used to find the exact value of the sum?

No, the "Sum over primes asymptotics" can only provide an approximation of the sum of prime numbers. As the number of primes increases, the accuracy of the approximation also improves, but it will never give the exact value of the sum.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the "Sum over primes asymptotics"?

Yes, the "Sum over primes asymptotics" has applications in various fields, including cryptography, where it is used to generate secure encryption keys. It is also used in the study of prime numbers and their properties, which have applications in computer science and physics, among others.