Sum series- convergence and divergence

In summary, converging series have a first term that goes to zero, while diverging series have a term that goes to infinity.
Chipset3600
converge or diverge?

\(\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{^{\infty }}a_{n} \)

\(\displaystyle a_{1}= \frac{1}{3}, a_{n+1}= \sqrt[n]{a_{n}}

\)
Im having problems to solve this exercise, i would like to see your solutions

Physics news on Phys.org
Chipset3600 said:
converge or diverge?

\)

Defining $\displaystyle \lambda_{n} = \ln a_{n}$ the difference equation becomes...

$\displaystyle \lambda_{n+1} = \frac{\lambda_{n}}{n}\ (1)$

... and for any $\displaystyle a_{1} \ne 0$ is $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \lambda_{n}=0$, so that $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_{n}=1$, so that...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Defining $\displaystyle \lambda_{n} = \ln a_{n}$ the difference equation becomes...

$\displaystyle \lambda_{n+1} = \frac{\lambda_{n}}{n}\ (1)$

... and for any $\displaystyle a_{1} \ne 0$ is $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \lambda_{n}=0$, so that $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_{n}=1$, so that...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I don't understood...
Why u said that : \(\displaystyle \lambda_{n} = \ln a_{n}\) ?

Chipset3600 said:
I don't understood...
Why u said that : \(\displaystyle \lambda_{n} = \ln a_{n}\) ?

It is the first step to demonstrate that $\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_{n}=1$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
It is the first step to demonstrate that $\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_{n}=1$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Still don't understanding, and i never study "difference equation".

Chipset3600 said:
Still don't understanding, and i never study "difference equation".

Yourself wrote...

$\displaystyle a_{1}= \frac{1}{3},\ a_{n+1} = \sqrt[n] {a_{n}}\ (1)$

That is a 'difference equation' the solution of which is $\displaystyle a_{n}$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Yourself wrote...

$\displaystyle a_{1}= \frac{1}{3},\ a_{n+1} = \sqrt[n] {a_{n}}\ (1)$

That is a 'difference equation' the solution of which is $\displaystyle a_{n}$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Im really trying to understand, but sorry!
resolution is too advanced for me to realize

Chipset3600 said:
Im really trying to understand, but sorry!
resolution is too advanced for me to realize

If You intend to improve Your knowledge about difference equations, on MHB there is a tutorial thread...

http://mathhelpboards.com/discrete-mathematics-set-theory-logic-15/difference-equation-tutorial-draft-part-i-426.html

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma's suggestion is to see what happens to the original equation $a_{n+1}= \sqrt[n]{a_{n}}$ when we make a definition $\lambda_n=\ln(a_n)$. Then \[\lambda_{n+1}\stackrel{\text{def}}{=} \ln(a_{n+1})= \ln((a_n)^{1/n}) =\ln(a_n)/n \stackrel{\text{def}}{=}\lambda_n/n\] Thus, $\lambda_n\to0$ as $n\to\infty$, and $a_n=e^{\lambda_n}\to e^0=1$ as $n\to\infty$.

The definition used is that it was strange for me...
My teacher give me other solution.
Taking the limit it will be equal to 1.
\(\displaystyle a_{n} = (\frac{1}{3})^{\frac{1}{n!}}\)

Chipset3600 said:
converge or diverge?

\)

A quick numerical experiment shows that \(\displaystyle a_n \to 1\) and if this is indeed the case the series \(\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{^{\infty }}a_{n} \) diverges since to converge \(\displaystyle a_n\) must go to zero.

The simplest method of proving that \(\displaystyle a_n \not\to 0\) is to show that if \(\displaystyle 0<a_1<a_k<1\) then \(\displaystyle 0<a_1<a_{k+1}<1\) which will show that \(\displaystyle a_n\) is bounded below by \(\displaystyle a_1\).

The approach I would use is induction based on the observation that if \(\displaystyle 0<a_k<1\) and \(\displaystyle a_{k+1}=\sqrt[k]{a_{k}}\) then:

\(\displaystyle a_{k+1} < 1\)

and

\(\displaystyle a_{k+1}^k=a_k\)

but for any \(\displaystyle \kappa>1\) we now can conclude \(\displaystyle a_{k+1}^{\kappa}<a_{k+1}\) and so:

\(\displaystyle a_k<a_{k+1}\)

Thus \(\displaystyle \{a_n\}\) is an increasing sequence and so bounded below by its first term.

In addition any other method that shows that \(\displaystyle \{a_n\}\) is an non-decreasing sequence would do (which includes at least one form of the ratio test).

What is a sum series?

A sum series is a mathematical concept where a sequence of numbers is added together. The result of adding these numbers is called the sum of the series. For example, the series 1+2+3+4+5 would have a sum of 15.

What is convergence and divergence in a sum series?

Convergence and divergence refer to the behavior of a sum series as more terms are added. A series is said to converge if the sum approaches a finite number as more terms are added. Conversely, a series is said to diverge if the sum does not approach a finite number as more terms are added.

How do you determine if a sum series converges or diverges?

There are various tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a sum series. Some common tests include the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and can help determine if the series will converge or diverge.

What is the importance of understanding convergence and divergence in a sum series?

Understanding convergence and divergence in a sum series is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It allows us to determine the behavior of a series and make predictions about its sum. This knowledge is especially useful in calculus and other fields where series are used to represent real-world phenomena.

Can a series both converge and diverge?

No, a series cannot both converge and diverge. It can only have one of these two behaviors. However, it is possible for a series to neither converge nor diverge, in which case it is said to oscillate or oscillate at infinity.