Efficient Calculation of a Complex Sum with Multiple Components

In summary, a sum with multiple components is a mathematical calculation where multiple quantities are added together to get a total value. To solve this type of sum, you need to identify all the addends and add them together. The main difference between a sum with multiple components and a single-component sum is the number of addends involved. Real-life examples of a sum with multiple components include calculating the total cost of a grocery bill or the total distance travelled on a road trip. Negative addends can also be included in a sum with multiple components, potentially resulting in a negative total sum.
Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem
I want to calculate the following sum
$$ \sum^{5}_{k=2} \frac{k(-1)^k}{2^k} $$

The attempt

I wrote ## \frac{(-1)^k}{2^k} ## as ##\frac{1}{(-2)^k}##. I was hoping that I could calculate the sum ## \sum^{5}_{k=2} \frac{k(-1)^k}{2^k} ## by multiplying the sums ##\sum^{5}_{k=2} k## and ## \sum^{5}_{k=2} \frac{1}{(-2)^k}##, but I was wrong (wolfram).

Physics news on Phys.org
Rectifier said:
The problem

The attempt

I wrote ## \frac{(-1)^k}{2^k} ## as ##\frac{1}{(-2)^k}##. I was hoping that I could calculate the sum ## \sum^{5}_{k=2} \frac{k(-1)^k}{2^k} ## by multiplying the sums ##\sum^{5}_{k=2} k## and ## \sum^{5}_{k=2} \frac{1}{(-2)^k}##, but I was wrong (wolfram).
What is the sense to multiplying the sum with an other sum?
Just write the terms from k=2 to k=5 and add them.

Likes Rectifier
Rectifier said:
I wrote (−1)k2k(−1)k2k \frac{(-1)^k}{2^k} as 1(−2)k1(−2)k\frac{1}{(-2)^k}
This part looks fine to me.
Expanding thus sumation would give
(2 (-1)^2)/2^2 +(3 (-1)^3)/2^3 ... (5(-1)^5)/2^5

You can see here that we can not separate out ∑ k as a multiplication factor. Therfore you cannot calculate the two sums separately then multiply them. I think if you are allowed a calculator it would be easier to just substitute in the numbers into the expansion.

Likes Rectifier
I am not allowed to use a calculator. It looks like we are supposed to add these manually without using any specific formula. Thanks for your help.

NihalRi said:
This part looks fine to me.
Expanding thus sumation would give
(2 (-1)^2)/2^2 +(3 (-1)^3)/2^3 ... (5(-1)^5)/2^5

You can see here that we can not separate out ∑ k as a multiplication factor. Therfore you cannot calculate the two sums separately then multiply them. I think if you are allowed a calculator it would be easier to just substitute in the numbers into the expansion.
@Rectifier ,

Let's put NihalRi's expression into LaTeX and do some very basic simplifying.
##\displaystyle \frac{2 (-1)^2}{2^2} +\frac{3 (-1)^3}{2^3}+\frac{4 (-1)^4}{2^4} +\frac{5 (-1)^5}{2^5} \ ##

##\displaystyle \frac{2 }{4} -\frac{3 }{8}+\frac{4 }{16} -\frac{5 }{32} \ ##​

It's not that difficult without a calculator, now is it?

Likes Rectifier
I agree that just writing out the terms and adding them is the best approach. If you want a general formula however, then take the derivative of ##\sum_{k=1}^n x^k##.

Likes Irene Kaminkowa and Rectifier
Rectifier said:
The problem
I don't see what the difficulty is here. All that's needed here is to add four numbers.
Rectifier said:
The attempt
I wrote ## \frac{(-1)^k}{2^k} ## as ##\frac{1}{(-2)^k}##.
I was hoping that I could calculate the sum ## \sum^{5}_{k=2} \frac{k(-1)^k}{2^k} ## by multiplying the sums ##\sum^{5}_{k=2} k## and ## \sum^{5}_{k=2} \frac{1}{(-2)^k}##, but I was wrong (wolfram).

Thank you for commenting but I have marked this question as solved some time ago.

1. What is a "sum with multiple components?"

A sum with multiple components is a mathematical calculation where multiple quantities are added together to get a total value. It is also known as a multi-component sum or a multi-addend sum.

2. How do you solve a sum with multiple components?

To solve a sum with multiple components, you need to first identify all the components or addends. Then, add each addend together to get the total sum. You can use a calculator or do the calculation manually by starting with the largest addend and adding the remaining addends one by one.

3. What is the difference between a sum with multiple components and a single-component sum?

A sum with multiple components is a calculation that involves adding multiple quantities together, while a single-component sum only involves adding one quantity to another. In other words, a sum with multiple components has more than one addend, while a single-component sum has only one addend.

4. What are some real-life examples of a sum with multiple components?

A sum with multiple components can be seen in various scenarios, such as calculating the total cost of a grocery bill, determining the total distance travelled on a road trip with multiple stops, or calculating the total score of a sports game with multiple scoring components.

5. Can a sum with multiple components have negative addends?

Yes, a sum with multiple components can have negative addends. Negative addends are simply numbers with a minus sign in front of them, and they can be added just like positive addends. The result of a sum with multiple components can also be negative if the sum of the negative addends is larger than the sum of the positive addends.