1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum with multiple components

Tags:
  1. Jun 28, 2016 #1

Rectifier

Gold Member

The problem
    I want to calculate the following sum
    $$ \sum^{5}_{k=2} \frac{k(-1)^k}{2^k} $$

The attempt

I wrote ## \frac{(-1)^k}{2^k} ## as ##\frac{1}{(-2)^k}##. I was hoping that I could calculate the sum ## \sum^{5}_{k=2} \frac{k(-1)^k}{2^k} ## by multiplying the sums ##\sum^{5}_{k=2} k## and ## \sum^{5}_{k=2} \frac{1}{(-2)^k}##, but I was wrong (wolfram).

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the sense to multiplying the sum with an other sum????
    Just write the terms from k=2 to k=5 and add them.

4. Jun 28, 2016 #3
    This part looks fine to me.
    Expanding thus sumation would give
    (2 (-1)^2)/2^2 +(3 (-1)^3)/2^3 ... (5(-1)^5)/2^5

You can see here that we can not separate out ∑ k as a multiplication factor. Therfore you cannot calculate the two sums separately then multiply them. I think if you are allowed a calculator it would be easier to just substitute in the numbers into the expansion.

5. Jun 28, 2016 #4

Rectifier

Gold Member

I am not allowed to use a calculator. It looks like we are supposed to add these manually without using any specific formula. Thanks for your help.

6. Jun 28, 2016 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@Rectifier ,

Let's put NihalRi's expression into LaTeX and do some very basic simplifying.
    ##\displaystyle \frac{2 (-1)^2}{2^2} +\frac{3 (-1)^3}{2^3}+\frac{4 (-1)^4}{2^4} +\frac{5 (-1)^5}{2^5} \ ##

##\displaystyle \frac{2 }{4} -\frac{3 }{8}+\frac{4 }{16} -\frac{5 }{32} \ ##​

It's not that difficult without a calculator, now is it?

7. Jul 16, 2016 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I agree that just writing out the terms and adding them is the best approach. If you want a general formula however, then take the derivative of ##\sum_{k=1}^n x^k##.

8. Jul 16, 2016 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't see what the difficulty is here. All that's needed here is to add four numbers.

9. Jul 17, 2016 #8

Rectifier

Gold Member

Thank you for commenting but I have marked this question as solved some time ago.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted