Proving Sum-Free Sets: A Presentation

In summary, the conversation was about using probability to prove results regarding sum-free subsets. The desired result was that for any set of natural numbers B, there exists a sum-free subset A with a minimum size of |A| ≥ |B|/3. However, it was mentioned that a slightly better result is that there is always a sum-free subset of B with a minimum size of |A| ≥ (|B|+2)/3. The conversation then delved into finding an example to achieve this bound or if there is a better known bound. Various examples were discussed, including singleton sets and sets with distinct elements. It was mentioned that the proof for the better bound does not suggest it is a good one, and it may
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm doing a presentation on using probability to prove various results, and one of them is that given any set of natural numbers B, it contains a set A that is sum-free, i.e. no two elements in A sum to another element in A, such that [tex] |A| \geq \frac{|B|}{3}[/tex].

I looked around and found a slightly better result that there is always a sum free subset of B of magnitude [tex] |A| \geq \frac{|B+2|}{3}[/tex]. I've been trying to construct an example for B that gets this bound or close to it, but it's not working out so well. Does anyone know of a good example of such a set, or if there's a better bound that's known?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that no two distinct elements ...? I.e. would [itex]\{1,2\}[/itex] count as sum-free or not?

Then you're looking for a [itex]B[/itex] in which no subset [itex]A[/itex] with [itex]|A|>(|B|+2)/3[/itex] is sum free, but which has a sum-free subset of size [itex](|B|+2)/3[/itex]. Is that right?

(Why doesn't this drop out of your proof by the way?)

Actually what I said can't be right because then any singleton other than [itex]\{0\}[/itex] would do for [itex]B[/itex], and even [itex]\{0\}[/itex] if elements in sums need to be distinct. Perhaps I should think about it a bit more.

OK - give me a clue. Why isn't [itex]B=\{1\}[/itex] an example of a set that "gets" the bound? The bound in this case would be (1+2)/3=1. [itex]B[/itex] has a sum-free subset of this size viz. [itex]\{1\}[/itex] and has no larger sum-free subset (because it has no larger subset).

Off-beam, I assume, but why?

Yes, the set {1.2} is sum-free. You don't get to repeat elements. I don't know the proof for the better bound but the proof for the bound oesn't suggest it's a good one, or even how to tell whether this is a good bound without just testing every subset (take the set mod p for some large value of p and multiply it by random elements of Zp. One such element must take 1/3 of B to the middle third of Zp which is a sum-free set).

Singleton sets work but are pretty lame as examples

OK, but [itex]\{1,2\}[/itex] is then an example for the same reason, so you'll have to specify what minimum size of example you want.

Related to Proving Sum-Free Sets: A Presentation

1. What is a sum-free set?

A sum-free set is a set of numbers where no two elements can add up to another element in the set. In other words, if a, b, and c are elements in the set, a + b ≠ c.

2. Why is proving the existence of sum-free sets important?

Proving the existence of sum-free sets has implications in various fields such as number theory and computer science. It can be used in cryptography, coding theory, and combinatorics, among others.

3. What is the significance of this presentation?

This presentation provides a comprehensive overview of the proofs for the existence of sum-free sets, including the Erdős-Szemerédi theorem and the Density Hales-Jewett theorem. It also presents various applications of these proofs in different areas of mathematics and computer science.

4. Are there any real-life applications of sum-free sets?

Yes, sum-free sets have been used in various applications such as scheduling algorithms, error-correcting codes, and cryptography. They also have implications in the study of prime numbers and combinatorial designs.

5. What is the current state of research on sum-free sets?

The study of sum-free sets is an ongoing area of research. While the existence of sum-free sets has been proven, there are still many open questions and conjectures related to these sets. Researchers continue to explore new applications and connections of sum-free sets in different areas of mathematics and computer science.