Summation and nCk Homework: Understanding the Formula and Its Application

• Thread starter holezch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the given expression can be simplified to 2f(x)g(x) multiplied by the sum of all nCk terms, which is equivalent to 2^n. This can be proven by changing the index of the first sum and showing that it is equal to the second sum.
holezch

Homework Statement

n+1 , n
[tex]\sum[/tex] (nCk-1) f(x)g(x) + [tex]\sum[/tex] (nCk) f(x)g(x)
k=1 , k = 0 (for first and second summations respectively) I can't just say that that is equal to:

n+1
[tex]\sum[/tex] (n+1 C k) f(x)g(x)
k=0

since the (nC k-1) and (nC k) above are kind of illusionary, (n C k-1) starts at 1 and ends when k = n+1 so it's just exactly the same as the (nC k) summation

right?

thanks

Homework Equations

n+1 C k = n C k-1 + n C k

The Attempt at a Solution

see above

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing I would do is factor out the "f(x)g(x)". This is
[tex]f(x)g(x)\left(\sum_{k=1}^{n+1} _nC_{k-1}+ \sum_{k=0}^n _nC_k\right)[/tex]

Then it might be a good idea to look at a couple of simple cases. For example, if n= 1, this is
[tex]f(x)g(x)\left(_1C_0+ _1C_1+ _1C0+ _1C_1\right)[/tex]
[tex]= f(x)g(x)\left(1+ 1+ 1+ 1\right= 4f(x)g(x)[/tex]
and if n= 2, this is
[tex]f(x)g(x)\left(_2C_0+ _2C_1+ _2C_2+ _2C_0+ _2C_1+ _2C_2\right)[/tex]
[tex]= f(x)(g(x))\left(1+ 2+ 1+ 1+ 2+ 1\right)= 8f(x)g(x)[/tex]

You cannot just add the binomial coefficients because they start and end with the different values of k but it certainly looks as if the two sums give exactly the same thing. You can try to prove that by changing the index on, say, the first sum. In the first sum, if we let i= k-1, then when k= 1, i=0 and when k= n+1, i= n. Also, k= i+ 1 so [itex]_nC_{k-1}= _nC_i[/itex]. That is, [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n+1} _nC_{k-1}= \sum_{i=0}^n _nC_i[/itex] which is exactly the same as [itex]\sum_{k=0}^n _nC_i[/itex] so your sum is [itex]2f(x)g(x)\sum_{k=0}^n _nC_i[/itex].

And that sum is easy- why are those numbers called "binomial coefficients"?

HallsofIvy said:
The first thing I would do is factor out the "f(x)g(x)". This is
[tex]f(x)g(x)\left(\sum_{k=1}^{n+1} _nC_{k-1}+ \sum_{k=0}^n _nC_k\right)[/tex]

Then it might be a good idea to look at a couple of simple cases. For example, if n= 1, this is
[tex]f(x)g(x)\left(_1C_0+ _1C_1+ _1C0+ _1C_1\right)[/tex]
[tex]= f(x)g(x)\left(1+ 1+ 1+ 1\right= 4f(x)g(x)[/tex]
and if n= 2, this is
[tex]f(x)g(x)\left(_2C_0+ _2C_1+ _2C_2+ _2C_0+ _2C_1+ _2C_2\right)[/tex]
[tex]= f(x)(g(x))\left(1+ 2+ 1+ 1+ 2+ 1\right)= 8f(x)g(x)[/tex]

You cannot just add the binomial coefficients because they start and end with the different values of k but it certainly looks as if the two sums give exactly the same thing. You can try to prove that by changing the index on, say, the first sum. In the first sum, if we let i= k-1, then when k= 1, i=0 and when k= n+1, i= n. Also, k= i+ 1 so [itex]_nC_{k-1}= _nC_i[/itex]. That is, [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n+1} _nC_{k-1}= \sum_{i=0}^n _nC_i[/itex] which is exactly the same as [itex]\sum_{k=0}^n _nC_i[/itex] so your sum is [itex]2f(x)g(x)\sum_{k=0}^n _nC_i[/itex].

And that sum is easy- why are those numbers called "binomial coefficients"?

the sum of all nCk's is just 2^n, is that what you mean?

Yes.

Related to Summation and nCk Homework: Understanding the Formula and Its Application

1. What is the formula for summation and nCk?

The formula for summation is Σ (sigma) and it represents the sum of a series of numbers or expressions. The formula for nCk is n! / [(n-k)! * k!], where n is the total number of items and k is the number of items chosen.

2. How is summation used in mathematics and science?

Summation is used in mathematics and science to calculate the total value of a series of numbers or expressions. It is used in statistics, calculus, and other fields to find the average, total, or probability of a given set of data.

3. What is the significance of nCk in combinatorics?

nCk is a mathematical expression used in combinatorics to calculate the number of possible combinations of k items from a set of n items. It is used to solve problems related to probability, counting, and permutations.

4. How do you calculate summation and nCk?

To calculate summation, you need to add up all the numbers or expressions in the given series. To calculate nCk, you need to first determine the values of n and k, and then use the formula n! / [(n-k)! * k!] to find the total number of combinations.

5. Can you provide an example of how summation and nCk are used in real life situations?

Summation and nCk are used in various real-life situations, such as in finance to calculate interest rates, in genetics to determine the probability of certain traits being inherited, and in sports to calculate the chances of a team winning a game based on their previous performances.