Summer getting too hard for you? Post your Fall Schedule to cool down

In summary: I'm actually really excited to take it because I've heard it's really interesting and cool.In summary, college students are discussing and sharing their schedules for the upcoming fall semester. Some are taking a mix of physics and electrical engineering courses, while others are considering adding classes such as sociology or differential equations. Many students are also facing challenges with scheduling and course conflicts.
Honors Thesis (6 credits)
Operations Research II (4)
Project Management (4)
Quality Management and Planning (4)
Infrastructure and Environment (4)
+ TA for freshmen computing class (roughly 4 credits of work :) )

Physics news on Phys.org
eXorikos said:
Doing a double major means spending a year longer to get your degree? Here it's nearly impossible to do two majors at the same time. If the majors are that far apart it will result in twice the normal amount of work every year...
Well, in Canada and the US, at least, fulfilling the requirements of a major (a regular one, so not specialization or honours) is in my experience roughly equivalent to two, maybe two and a half years of a B.Sc. in Europe. The number of courses actually pertaining specifically to your degree that you have to take here in order to get the designation of a <whatever> major on your degree is a joke. Such a system does have its advantages, though.

Actually I'm graduating in 4 years along with everyone else, along with a math minor. I just work my butt off. Actually here is the deal I use to live in Japan and realistically being multi-lingual especially in this type of global economy and research is always a good thing. I have requirements to meet as part of a liberal arts degree and what topic isn't covered by one is covered by the other. Kinda perfect, its like 3 extra classes besides for general education requirements.

Also I would say that yea its another interest but more than anything they are both my passions and I think they will both be a huge part of my life, if I can do it in 4 years, only 1 semester of overload-why not? :)

I'm beginning my freshman year of undergrad as an Evolutionary Biology/East Asian Studies major.

Pre-Calculus
Freshman Seminar
Intro to Chemistry
Chinese 1A

Don't judge me!

chez_butt23 said:
I'm beginning my freshman year of undergrad as an Evolutionary Biology/East Asian Studies major.

Pre-Calculus
Freshman Seminar
Intro to Chemistry
Chinese 1A

Don't judge me!

No judging here, chez_butt (nice name :smile:). I started my freshman year at a community college, with "Introduction to Algebra" and eventually graduated with a BS in physics from a well-respected university.

Best of luck to you!

Starting my first year at a 4 year university, transferring from community college. Majoring in Physics with astronomy concentration. Unfortunately my registration date was late, most of the science classes were taken ):
So I just took a bunch of classes to finish up requirements.

Human Genetics
Multi-Cultural Perspectives in American Society
Calculus I
Rock: An American Music

Here's to hoping for chemistry, math, and physics next semester, cheers!

fillipeano said:
Starting my first year at a 4 year university, transferring from community college. Majoring in Physics with astronomy concentration. Unfortunately my registration date was late, most of the science classes were taken ):
So I just took a bunch of classes to finish up requirements.

Human Genetics
Multi-Cultural Perspectives in American Society
Calculus I
Rock: An American Music

Here's to hoping for chemistry, math, and physics next semester, cheers!

At my school, if you are a physics major they will make room for you in any physics class that is full. I would check with your adviser or specifically someone within the physics department. You could also try to get an override by showing up to the class you want to take on the first day and ask the professor.

I'm just posting to see how common/possible this schedule is:

Measure Theory
Differential Topology
Field Theory
Representation Theory
Commutative Algebra
Reading Project- Geometric Measure Theory

I'm in my 4th year BTW. The program is for 5 years.

I had to change my schedule due to conflicts in courses that I have to take in the spring, and was hoping for some first-impressions:

Statics
Thermodynamics (intro engineering thermo)
Differential Equations (intro ODEs)
Set Theory and Logic (introduction to mathematical proofs, essentially)
Applied Linear Algebra

This much is pretty much in stone. It's 14 credits (the linear algebra course is only 2 credits). I feel that 14 credits is a bit on the slack side...I want to add a 3 credit technical writing course, but 6 classes seems a bit steep considering the technical nature of 5 of them. The tech writing course should likely be quite easy, and I think I am going to start off with it in addition to what's above, just to see what the work-load would be like. Maybe i'll drop it before it will go on my transcript, but i'd like to get it out of the way.

Does anyone have any first-impressions they would like to share, as far as the do-ability of the 17 credit option?

Chairman Lmao said:
I'm just posting to see how common/possible this schedule is:

Measure Theory
Differential Topology
Field Theory
Representation Theory
Commutative Algebra
Reading Project- Geometric Measure Theory

I'm in my 4th year BTW. The program is for 5 years.

That sounds pretty heavy aha.

I'm only in the second year of my program, but I've been very tardy on my "official educational progression"; this is my schedule:

Combinatorial Methods
Calculus on Manifolds
Advanced Differential Equations
Groups, Rings, Fields

General Linguistics
a social science breadth course

I think I finally got my schedule figured out.

Statistical Analysis
Intro to Astrophysics
University Physics II (E&M+thermodynamics)
Calculus III
Ancient Philosophy

Stengah said:
I think I finally got my schedule figured out.

Statistical Analysis
Intro to Astrophysics
University Physics II (E&M+thermodynamics)
Calculus III
Ancient Philosophy

What does your intro to astrophysics course entail, do you know? That's pretty cool that they let you get a taste early on

anonymity said:
What does your intro to astrophysics course entail, do you know? That's pretty cool that they let you get a taste early on

From the course catalog: Calculus-based introductory astrophysics course covering solar system mechanics, overview of planets, electromagnetic radiation, telescopes, stellar evolution, galactic structure, interstellar medium, galaxies, and cosmology.

How many grad courses are typical for a grad student, if you exclude all other activities (research, thesis, studying for quals, etc.)? I'm considering taking 4 next semester, but I'm not sure if I should increase/decrease the amount of work.

I've checked out several course histories from grad students at my uni, and they all usually take 3, including a few seminars. But I'm sure they also dealt with research, quals, etc.

Anonymous217 said:
How many grad courses are typical for a grad student, if you exclude all other activities (research, thesis, studying for quals, etc.)? I'm considering taking 4 next semester, but I'm not sure if I should increase/decrease the amount of work.

I've checked out several course histories from grad students at my uni, and they all usually take 3, including a few seminars. But I'm sure they also dealt with research, quals, etc.

I think your adviser could help you with this better than anyone here could.

I'm not in college yet but I believe I know what my freshman fall courses will be depending on what I do this year.

Differential equations or calculus 3, depends.
Discrete mathematics I
Intro to computer science
Freshman English A
Health or some sort of P.E.

Stengah said:
I think your adviser could help you with this better than anyone here could.

That's what I figured, but I actually don't even have an advisor yet since I never declared my major. I'm doing so next semester, but that would already be too late to plan out the coursework.

So I'm pretty much stuck trying to figure everything all on my own. So, any general ideas? I think 4 grad-courses could be manageable, but I'm also considering a 3-4 unit independent study in addition.

Fall 2011:

Circuits
Signals and Systems
Analytical Methods for EE majors
Fourier Analysis
Electromagnetism

16 semester credit hours, might drop one just to have some time to do some self-study on computer programming

Anonymous217 said:
That's what I figured, but I actually don't even have an advisor yet since I never declared my major. I'm doing so next semester, but that would already be too late to plan out the coursework.

So I'm pretty much stuck trying to figure everything all on my own. So, any general ideas? I think 4 grad-courses could be manageable, but I'm also considering a 3-4 unit independent study in addition.

4 is definitely manageable at some schools at least - that's what I'm signed up for next semester. From what I've heard (and experienced) so far, I wouldn't try any more than that though (it's probably doable, but a tremendous amount of work).

^ Thanks for the advice! I'll probably consider an extra course the first week, and then drop it if I find the work too burdensome.

Circuits I
Physics 2 (E&M)
Differential Eq/Linear Algebra
C programming

I'm a little nervous because this is my first EE type semester. It's only 15 credits but seems like a heavy load because the classes don't seem to overlap much.

I'm hoping:

multivariate calculus
physics
public speaking (something easy)

shelovesmath said:
I'm hoping:

multivariate calculus
physics
public speaking (something easy)
That's a really light semester.

Computer Apps & Info Technology
Macroeconomic Principles
Adv First-Year Composition
Calculus w/Analytic Geometry II
Introduction to Philosophy
Student Success in Business

I'm a math/finance double major. 17 credits, but the classes aren't too rigorous.

crazyisraelie said:
Summer has started and I know a lot of college students have already made their schedule for fall. Post them here!

I'll start...

Engineering Mechanics
Thermal Science
Nuclear System Dynamics/Control
Numerical Methods and Fortran
Nuclear Engineering Lab

I'm also considering adding Nuclear Criticality Safety

I actually added Nuclear Critically Safety. So a nice course load >_<

I'm embarassed to even post my schedule for the fall lol.

I'm taking Calculus 2, Physics with calc I (w/ lab), Organic Chemistry (w/ lab), and Linear Algebra.

Physics II
Complex Analysis
Real Analysis II
Advanced Linear Algebra (no idea what "advanced linear algebra" is; this is as close as I can get to a "slack class")
Graduate Algebra II am, of course, looking forward to the Algebra course the most.

lisab said:
No judging here, chez_butt (nice name :smile:). I started my freshman year at a community college, with "Introduction to Algebra" and eventually graduated with a BS in physics from a well-respected university.

Best of luck to you!

I am in a similar situation. I started community college, hating math and taking Intro to Algebra. I am now close to getting a BS with a major in Math from a top Engineering colleges. So, two of us now say Best of Luck!

Differential Equations (4 cr)
Organic Chemistry w/ lab (4 cr)
Chemical Engineering - Processes (4 cr)
Intro to Shakespeare (3 cr)

Question: Right now I am also signed up for Linear Algebra, but am having major thoughts about taking this now. That puts me up to 18 hours. It's supposed to be a time-consuming class with many proofs. I'm going to be tutoring for a job (10 hours a week), along with being active on-campus. I was planning on minoring in math, but I'm getting interested in biochemistry just from some reading on the internet, so I think I'll minor in biochem. Should I still take LA?

Multivariate Calculus
Intro to Mathematical Reasoning
Public Speaking
Modern Jewish History

Take it. For several reasons. It is really fun to begin with and it isn't too hard. It will help with diffy q and I'm guessing it has applications to a lot of chem stuff. What is your major?

Robert1986 said:
Take it. For several reasons. It is really fun to begin with and it isn't too hard. It will help with diffy q and I'm guessing it has applications to a lot of chem stuff. What is your major?

The degree field of his/her profile says chemical engineering.

Finally

Possible schedule (unregistered)

1. Analysis course
2. Proof course
3. MVC
4. Maybe philosophy? Or something easy

That was probably a silly question, wasn't it? You are probably chem e right? Then def take Lin alg; I'm almost positive that it will be helpful (and I'm positive itll be fun even if it isn't helpful.)

Robert1986 said:
That was probably a silly question, wasn't it? You are probably chem e right? Then def take Lin alg; I'm almost positive that it will be helpful (and I'm positive itll be fun even if it isn't helpful.)

Yup, Chem E here. I'll at least go to the first two weeks of class with a positive attitude toward it. I'll decide from there. Thanks for the encouragement! :)