Summer job in Physics for UK student

In summary, the conversation is about finding summer projects in the field of physics. The original poster is looking for opportunities in the US but is facing challenges due to most programs being limited to US residents only. Some suggestions for programs in the UK and Canada are mentioned, as well as the possibility of finding programs through personal contacts and university ties. The conversation also touches on the duration of a MPhys degree in Scotland and the option of doing a SURF or REU program. Finally, the conversation ends with an offer of help from someone with connections in a university in the US.
leila
Hi there,

Was wondering if anybody could direct me to universities or companies that take on physics students for summer projects. I would ideally like to get a place in the US somewhere but so many places state US residents only.

Can anyone help or suggest good places to go in the summer?

I would be very very grateful for your help

Leila

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right: most US programs are required to only have US residents in the programs due to funding (like the vast majority of REUS). However, there are some exceptions if you look carefully at the list, Caltech's LIGO comes to mind, but most places will still give preferences to Americans. It's worth a shot though if you're interested in things on this side of the pond. :)

Thank you, are there any others that anybody can think of? It is very downheartening to read time after time, the words "US citizens only"

leila,

I'm guessing St. Andrews don't offer anything (or at least only for more experienced undergrads as was the case at my uni). I think you'll find it difficult finding a project at another (UK) institution as well.

I remember vaguely a astronomy research foundation (or something) based at Leicester, which offered a few places, coming up on google searches. Most projects may involve some computing as well, which you might not have done a lot of yet (looking at your profile) :smile:

St Andrews do offer quite a number of things but I really wanted to try and get away from the town. As much as I love it, all year round is a bit too much. I was at Glasgow University's physics dept the last two summers, and I am now in my 3rd year of a MPhys, so even though still only 1/2 way through my degree, I have had previous lab experience. And yes, I know very little computing :(

Basically I just want to get away from St Andrews and Glasgow to another university or company for a bit of experience. It is amazing how hard that seems to be!

^Something like http://www.le.ac.uk/physics/sure.shtml" might be interesting. I'm not sure if it runs every year, but I think it's open to students outside Leicester.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi leila,

Do you know if you university offers summer placements where you get to go abroad? (my university, the university of birmingham, does one where you go to france). Your physics department will definatly have international ties with other universities, and even if there isn't a programme now, one could be arranged if you speak to the right people!

Maybe go and see your personal tutor? They should be able to at the very least point you in the direction of someone who knows about these things.

(ps. how can you be in your 3rd year and be half way through your degree? an MPhys is four years right?)

canada? ubc/uft/mac/ucal/perimeter institue?

My university does offer some summer placements (one to Grenoble, France and one to the Fermilab), but they are very hard to get so I am trying to sort out some other options.

In Scotland, because of the way the system works, an MPhys is 5 years, and I am 1/2 way through my 3rd year.

Lots of programs do SURFs.
(Summer Undergrad. Research Fellowship), or REU's (Research Experience for Undergrads)

I am from the UK and did my SURF at Baylor University in Texas. The place is great. After graduating and working for 3 yrs I ended up coming back here and am now in the 4th yr of a PhD in particle physics. Its only thanks to the contacts made then that I am living my dream now.

My friend and peer did a SURF for caltech and worked at JPL.
(He's from Greece)

Just do a search.
My university (Baylor) brings in lots of overseas students. Have a look at the website or drop me an email.

Richard_K_Obousy@baylor.edu

if you like I'll have a few words with some people I know...

;)

1. What are the qualifications and requirements for a summer job in Physics for UK students?

The specific qualifications and requirements for a summer job in Physics will vary depending on the position and employer. However, most employers will look for students who have completed at least one year of a Physics degree program, have a strong academic record, and have relevant skills or experience in the field. It is also important to have a good understanding of the scientific method, data analysis, and problem-solving skills.

2. Where can I find summer job opportunities in Physics for UK students?

There are various ways to find summer job opportunities in Physics for UK students. You can start by checking online job boards, university career centers, or contacting professors or researchers in your field of interest. Networking with other students or professionals in the field can also lead to potential job opportunities.

3. What types of summer jobs are available in Physics for UK students?

There are various types of summer jobs available in Physics for UK students, including research assistant positions, lab technician roles, or internships at scientific organizations or companies. Some students may also have the opportunity to work on their own research projects with a mentor or supervisor.

4. How long do summer jobs in Physics for UK students typically last?

The duration of summer jobs in Physics for UK students can vary, but most positions are for a period of 8-12 weeks. Some internships or research positions may last longer, depending on the project or employer's needs. It is important to clarify the duration of the job before accepting an offer.

5. Can I get paid for a summer job in Physics as a UK student?

Many summer jobs in Physics for UK students are paid, but some may be unpaid internships or volunteer positions. It is important to clarify the compensation and benefits offered before accepting a job offer. Some employers may also provide additional benefits, such as housing or travel expenses, for students working during the summer.