1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Summer research or courses?

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    Hello all,

I am entering my senior year preparing to apply to Medical Physics programs. I applied to some R.E.U.s for summer research, but was not fortunate enough to gain a position at any of them. I still have an opportunity to continue an independent study at my University's laser lab doing pump-probe experiments on semiconductors over the summer, but I do not know if this will help my chances of getting into the programs I want (medical imaging/optics). My question is, do you think this research will help my chances, or would I be better off taking some courses (perhaps orgo or anatomy as several schools I am looking at listed these as advantageous for applicants.)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

jsr

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2
    I would take classes and do the research at your school. Just because the research you'll be doing isn't entirely related to medical imaging doesn't mean that you won't get more lab experience. Admissions like lab experience. Living on campus and taking organic chemistry while doing physics research seems fun :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook