Sun, Moon and Earth

In summary, according to numerology, the number 0.98187 is a close estimate of Earth's gravity. This is due to the Moon's orbit being stable, and does not reflect the actual gravitational acceleration at the Earth's surface.
Damned2Hell
Could you prove to me how one might calculate things like mass, gravity, distance, of the sun, moon and Earth, very quickly, with only some basic knowledge. Such as 365.25 per year, min, avg and max times for the moon to complete a lunar phase 29.26,29.53,29.8). I'm attempting to understand how ancient people may have found those answers. But I'd like to know the best methods, to figure out older possible methods more quickly. If you don't know what I'm getting at with the included estimates, 29.26/29.8= 0.98187, a close estimate of Earth's gravity. While it's easy enough to see the relationship with a few calculations, I'd want to understand how to make the calculation without having read gravity is 9.807 m/s^2. And to build on that understanding, for other calculations.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What research have you done on this so far? What have you found out?

Likes davenn
I know a lot as far as knowing there are a lot of numbers that are very closely related. As far as being able to look at the min and max times from lunar phase to lunar phase and know I could calculate gravity, I can't. What made you ask what I know, is it something you're studying?

Damned2Hell said:
Could you prove to me how one might calculate things like mass, gravity, distance, of the sun, moon and Earth, very quickly, with only some basic knowledge.
Be more specific with your question. What particularly do you not understand?
Hint: observations, Newton's laws and trigonometry are you best friends to find the answers.
Damned2Hell said:
Such as 365.25 per year, min, avg and max times for the moon to complete a lunar phase 29.26,29.53,29.8). I'm attempting to understand how ancient people may have found those answers.
Why do you think that ancient civilizations managed to calculate mass of the celestial bodies, or that
they found laws describing the gravity? Use google to read about history of astronomy, there are plenty of texts out there.
Damned2Hell said:
If you don't know what I'm getting at with the included estimates, 29.26/29.8= 0.98187, a close estimate of Earth's gravity.
This looks like numerology! You cannot calculate gravitational acceleration at the Earth's surface just by dividing observed lunar periods!

Likes davenn
Damned2Hell said:
If you don't know what I'm getting at with the included estimates, 29.26/29.8= 0.98187, a close estimate of Earth's gravity.

Nonsense. It's an order of magnitude off if you're using meters and seconds. The fact is that your estimate is just close to 1 because the Moon doesn't have much variation in its orbit. Earth's gravitational acceleration could be literally anything and your number wouldn't change much as long as the Moon's orbit was stable.

Damned2Hell said:
I know a lot as far as knowing there are a lot of numbers that are very closely related. As far as being able to look at the min and max times from lunar phase to lunar phase and know I could calculate gravity, I can't. What made you ask what I know, is it something you're studying?
Because this is not a Q&A forum. We expect people to have put in some effort themselves, and to show it, as part of asking a question. We don't just do your research for you.

Drakkith said:
Nonsense
Agreed. The ultimate sign of this being that the numbers do not even have the same physical dimension. ”Nonsense” is fully appropriate.

And since this new user has now taken the "Down Elevator" for some issues in a different thread, this thread here can be closed. Thanks for your helpful replies, folks. :smile:

Likes davenn

What is the relationship between the Sun, Moon, and Earth?

The Sun, Moon, and Earth are all part of our solar system. The Sun is a star at the center, while the Moon is the Earth's only natural satellite. The Earth orbits around the Sun, while the Moon orbits around the Earth.

Why does the Moon have phases?

The Moon has phases because of its position relative to the Sun and Earth. As the Moon orbits around the Earth, the Sun's light hits it at different angles, creating different shadows and causing the appearance of different phases.

What causes eclipses?

Eclipses occur when the Moon passes between the Sun and the Earth, blocking the Sun's light from reaching the Earth. This is known as a solar eclipse. A lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth passes between the Sun and the Moon, casting a shadow on the Moon.

How does the Sun affect the Earth?

The Sun plays a crucial role in sustaining life on Earth. Its energy provides warmth, light, and nutrients for plants to grow. The Sun also affects the Earth's climate and weather patterns through its radiation and magnetic fields.

Can humans live on the Moon?

Currently, humans cannot live on the Moon without the help of technology. The Moon has no atmosphere, water, or resources to support life. However, there are plans to establish a permanent human presence on the Moon in the future.