Sunday night physics problems

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the displacement equation for a particle under a constant gravitational field with a resisting force proportional to its velocity. The resulting equation simplifies to v(t) = [-g/k] + [(kc0 + g) / k] * e^(-kt) but there is confusion about where the g in the second term came from and the units of the constant k. There is also discussion about differentiating and integrating with respect to time and velocity.
ax_xaein
Sunday night physics problems :(

Alright, so I'm supposed to find the displacement equation for a particle fired vertically under a constant gravitational field, where the resisting force is proportional to the instantaneous velocity of the particle. Here's where I'm at:

Fup = ma; Fdown = -mg - kmv; Fnet = (ma) + (-mg - kmv) // Where k is a constant

ma = (ma) + (-mg - kmv) // Force = Fup + Fdown
dv/dt = -g - kv // m's cancel, differentiate wrt v
dv * 1/(-g -kv) = -dt

// Integrating...
1/k ln(kv+ g) = -t + c0 // Where c0 represents initial velocity
ln(kv + g) = -tk + kc0
kv + g = e^(-tk + kc0)
v = [ e^(-tk + kc0) - g ] / k

Integrate wrt t, to obtain position ( v(t) )
v(t) = -g/k + -------> ? <----------

The answer is supposed to simplify to: v(t) = [-g/k] + [ (kc0 + g) / k] * e^(-kt)
I have no idea how. I have no idea where the g in the second term came from in the first place. Thanks ahead of time!

Physics news on Phys.org
you have Fdown = -mg - kmv; (k a constant), so I guess k will have units [1/seconds]?

also, you wrote: dv/dt = -g - kv // m's cancel, differentiate wrt v

I can see the m's cancel, but then you have (before differentiating)

a = a + (-g-kv)

but a IS dv/dt, so i don't know how you can get:
dv/dt = -g - kv // m's cancel, differentiate wrt v

AFTER differentiating wrt v... (also, don't u usually diff wrt to t??)

Yeah, in order for the units to match up i believe k would technically need to have units of 1/t.

And yes, a is dv/dt. So instead of writing:
a = ..., I've substituted dv/dt = ...

This way, we can say dv = blah (partial derivative dt)
Integrating both sides, we then obtain the velocity equation.

Related to Sunday night physics problems

1. What are "Sunday night physics problems"?

"Sunday night physics problems" are a type of assignment given to students studying physics. These problems are typically more challenging and require critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Why are they called "Sunday night physics problems"?

They are called "Sunday night physics problems" because they are usually assigned on a Friday or Saturday and are due on Sunday night, hence the name. This gives students the entire weekend to work on them and seek help if needed.

3. Are "Sunday night physics problems" important?

Yes, "Sunday night physics problems" are important as they help students apply the concepts they have learned in class to real-world problems. They also help prepare students for exams and improve their critical thinking skills.

4. How can I approach "Sunday night physics problems"?

To successfully solve "Sunday night physics problems", it is important to first understand the underlying concepts. Then, break down the problem into smaller parts and use relevant equations and formulas to solve each part. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed.

5. How can I improve my performance on "Sunday night physics problems"?

To improve your performance on "Sunday night physics problems", it is important to regularly attend class, pay attention, and ask questions when needed. Additionally, practicing regularly and seeking help when needed can also help improve your understanding and problem-solving skills.