How to Use a Sundial to Find Latitude: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter itsastruggle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latitude
In summary, the task is to find the latitude of the observing location using a graph provided and the angle of elevation at noon. The initial attempt involved estimating the angle on the graph for 42 days after March 21st, which gave an estimation of 20 degrees. However, this method was deemed inaccurate and the question was raised whether there is a calculation that can provide a more accurate answer. The conversation ends with the clarification that the 49.5 degree noon measurement was taken by the person asking for help.
itsastruggle

Homework Statement

Use the graph (attached) to find the latitude of your observing location. Show your calculation on how to derive the latitude.

Homework Equations

The angle of elevation at noon has been calculated as 49.5[tex]\circ[/tex].
The data was recorded on the 2nd of May (42 days after the 21st March).

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt involved estimating on the graph what angle would be given for 42 days (after March 21st). This gave me an estimation of 20[tex]\circ[/tex]. I then subtracted this angle from 49.51[tex]\circ[/tex].

49.51-20 = 29.51[tex]\circ[/tex]

Is that correct? I don't think it is, because it's based on a really rough estimation using the graph. Is there a calculation that I can do to find an accurate answer for the latitude?

Please help! Thanks!

Attachments

• graph1.JPG
    graph1.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you take the 49.5 deg at noon measurement yourself? If so, you should be able to determine how close you are to a correct solution by checking a map such as this one:
[PLAIN]http://www.hightunnels.org/images/latitude%20and%20Longitude%20Map.gif

I can't believe they didn't give you a function for that sine wave. There is practically no information on the X-axis, those points could be 1/2 days for all we know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the 49.5 degree noon measurement was taken myself.

No they didn't give me any other information, nor a function for the sine wave...

That's why I'm confused as to what they want me to do when they say "show your calculation on how to derive the latitude".

1. What is a sundial and how does it work?

A sundial is a device that measures time by using the position of the sun in the sky. It consists of a flat surface with markings that indicate the time based on the shadow cast by a gnomon (a vertical stick or rod). The sun's position changes throughout the day, causing the shadow to move and indicating the time.

2. How can a sundial be used to find latitude?

Sundials can be used to find latitude by measuring the angle between the gnomon and the horizon at noon. This angle is equal to the latitude of the location where the sundial is placed. By comparing this angle with a known latitude, one can determine their location on Earth.

3. Are sundials still accurate in today's modern world?

Yes, sundials are still accurate in today's modern world. While they may not be as precise as digital clocks, they provide a reliable way to tell time and can be calibrated to account for variations in the sun's position throughout the year.

4. Can a sundial be used at any location on Earth?

Yes, a sundial can be used at any location on Earth. However, the gnomon must be placed at the correct angle and orientation for the sundial to accurately measure time and determine latitude. This angle and orientation will vary based on the location's latitude.

5. Are there different types of sundials?

Yes, there are different types of sundials, including horizontal, vertical, and equatorial sundials. Each type has a different design and works best at certain latitudes. There are also portable and permanent sundials, as well as sundials that can be placed on different surfaces, such as walls or pedestals.