Who Will Win the Superbowl? Predictions and Projections Inside!

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
In summary, there was a discussion about teams and predictions for the playoffs and Super Bowl. Some mentioned the Colts as a potential winner, while others thought the Broncos or Patriots could also have a chance. There was also mention of the Seahawks being a strong team. The conversation then shifted to discussing various past games and players, including the Colts and Patriots playoff game that had some controversial calls. Ultimately, the conversation ended with a summary of the Colts game and the excitement of the playoffs.

Who will win Superbowl 40?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mattmns
With the first week of the playoffs over, who is your pick to win the whole thing?

Also, who do you think will make it to the big game, and by how many points (or with what score) will your pick win by.

I will be typical and go with the Colts, although I believe almost anyone in the AFC could go to, and win, the superbowl. I think the Seahawks will easily make it to the big game, but I am not sure if they can beat anyone in the AFC.

Colts over Seahawks by 10 points, say 27-17.

Physics news on Phys.org
I HOPE the Colts win since they've done so well this season. Actually, I hope anyone wins but the Patriots. :)

I have to go with the Broncos. The Colts and Patriots rank just about even with the Broncos.

The Seahawks will lose in the Super Bowl to one the above AFC teams.
This has to be the year the Broncos finally win one in Indianapolis. After all, the Browns finally snapped their streak of losing to the Broncos in AFC Championship games ... :uhh: oh, wait, no they didn't. I mean the Bills finally snapped their string of Super Bowl losses .. :uhh: no, wait, I mean, the Vikings, uh, no, I mean Warren Moon and the Oilers, :uhh: uh, no, that was worst of all. The Cowboys! The Cowboys finally beat the Steelers in a Super Bowl. Yeah, that's right. I'm sure the Broncos will finally win in Indianapolis.

Edit: One thing is for sure. The NFL needs to permanently ban the color teal from NFL uniforms. If they won't go that far, they at least need to ban players wearing teal from doing Girls Gone Wild imitations after scoring a touchdown. It's embarrassing for NFL fans and for the girls on Girls Gone Wild.

Last edited:
Drunk off my ass.

Sorry Bob, but I hope the Patriots beat the Broncos. Not because I hate the Broncos, which I do :smile:, but mostly because I want to see the Patriots travel to Indy and play the Colts.edit...

Warren Moon and the Oilers eh. They had that comeback game on ESPN a week or two ago. The wildcard game, I believe in 1992, against the Buffalo Bills. The Oilers were up 35-3 in the middle of the 3rd quarter and the Bills came back and took the lead, then finally ended up winning in overtime.

Last edited:
I say the steelers, because, well, i just know, ok. All you non-believers out there who think the steelers have no chance against the colts are just wrong. all the steelers have to do is play better than they ever did before this season, and it will be a cakewalk, which they will do, trust me (the score will be 24-17). they will end up playing the seahawks, and beat them by a fieldgoal and a touchdown, after recovering from a 14 point deficit late in the 3rd quarter, and making the final fieldgoal early in the 4th. there will be no scoring the rest of the game. sorry, my tarot cards do not tell me what the final score will be, i might have to call miss cleo on that one. also, john madden will will be killed by a frustrated madden 06 player, that my tarot cards did tell me. he will be replaced next season by ben stein.

Redskins and Patriots are out.

How about them Broncos. Wow, they played terrible! I seriously expected them to play much better than that, it seems as though if there were no turnovers the Broncos would have had just 3 points on the board. However, the Patriots' 5 turnovers is just pathetic, so the Broncos rightfully won, even if the offense hardly played. Best play of the game, that Bailey interception return. I was laughing like crazy everytime they showed that play.

I voted for no one.The Dodgers isn't one of the choices.There obivisoly are going to win the super bowl this year.

mattmns said:
Redskins and Patriots are out.

How about them Broncos. Wow, they played terrible! I seriously expected them to play much better than that, it seems as though if there were no turnovers the Broncos would have had just 3 points on the board. However, the Patriots' 5 turnovers is just pathetic, so the Broncos rightfully won, even if the offense hardly played. Best play of the game, that Bailey interception return. I was laughing like crazy everytime they showed that play.
You knew John Lynch had gotten under Brady's skin when Brady reacted to him after the false start penalty and when Brady went off on the refs on the very next play. I think he went about 5 of 13 for the first half, plus the Patriots had a slew of false start penalties.

And, still the Patriots were right in it until Bailey's interception. Bailey was so modest about the play, too. "It was a great play by me", said Bailey. :rofl:

It's great to see the Broncos finally win their first playoff game since Elway retired. :biggrin:

Well the Colts are out

That Colts game was very interesting, plenty of BS in it. Am I the only one who thought that the Steelers interception was an interception? Then that Bettis fumble, wow lol.

mattmns said:
Well the Colts are out

That Colts game was very interesting, plenty of BS in it. Am I the only one who thought that the Steelers interception was an interception? Then that Bettis fumble, wow lol.
That game had some incredible swings. Manning waving off the punting team, converting 4th down, and suddenly the Colts started playing like the Colts. The 'interception' (it sure looked like an interception to me) and another surge for the Colts. The fumble - that would have been a horrible way for Bettis to end his career. To think it was Big Ben's right arm that won the game for the Steelers - a one armed desperation grab to keep the fumble from being run back for a TD.

And what in the world happened on the field goal? I've only seen one field goal attempt that bad before - and that was a high school game (at least the high school kicker cleared the score board in the corner of the field).

Last edited:
BobG said:
And what in the world happened on the field goal? I've only seen one field goal attempt that bad before - and that was a high school game (at least the high school kicker cleared the score board in the corner of the field).
Yeah that field goal attempt was UGLY!

So how do you feel about the Steelers going up against your Broncos?

mattmns said:
Yeah that field goal attempt was UGLY!
So how do you feel about the Steelers going up against your Broncos?
Better than the idea of playing in Indy. I think there will be a lot of running plays - the Steelers and Broncos are first and second in the percentage of rushing plays.

The big difference is Denver's defense. The Steelers are going to have a hard time running against the 'Browncos' line and Gold, Wilson, and Williams.

If Ben's right arm stays good, I like the Steelers...despite what they did to Palmer ! :mad:

Broncos are out, one more game to go and we will know who will be in the Superbowl. I am picking Seattle to win today's game.

I'm thoroughly crushed by yesterday's game. The Broncos just were never in it.

Life goes on though. Now I'm following the US Curling Team. Pete Fenson and Cassie Johnson can really throw that rock.

Curling has so many more dramatic turn of events than football. Take Rhona Martin. She was a hero in Great Britain, thanks to leading her team to dramatic wins over Canada and Switzerland in the 2002 Olympics. Now she's on welfare.

Last edited:
BobG said:
I'm thoroughly crushed by yesterday's game. The Broncos just were never in it.
For one thing, Plummer was just not looking comfortable at any point in the game...too many throws under pressure.

Curling has so many more dramatic turn of events than football. Take Rhona Martin. She was a hero in Great Britain, thanks to leading her team to dramatic wins over Canada and Switzerland in the 2002 Olympics. Now she's on welfare.
:rofl: :rofl:

Speaking of sports, how about Kobe's game yesterday, eh ?

isn't this stupid?

ok so the steelers are # 6 in the afc
and the seahawks are number # 1
but still the steelers are favored by 6 pts? what the hell?

can someone explain that? and how ilogical is that?

TMNT said:
ok so the steelers are # 6 in the afc
and the seahawks are number # 1
but still the steelers are favored by 6 pts? what the hell?
can someone explain that? and how ilogical is that?
If you are hung up on the rankings, Seattle came out of a terrible division and had the same record as a team the Steelers just dominated. The Steelers lost 2 overtime games that Roethlisberger did not play in. If he played and they won those two games, the two teams would have had the same records. Also, the Superbowl is not in Seattle. The Seahawks are going to get walloped.
Probably the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

Gokul43201 said:
For one thing, Plummer was just not looking comfortable at any point in the game...too many throws under pressure.
:rofl: :rofl:
Considering the difference in eras, Kobe's 81 is probably more impressive than Wilt Chamberlain's 100. Kobe's 81 points accounted for over 66% of his team's scoring in an era where only one or two teams average 100 points as a team. Chamberlain's 100 points accounted for just 59% of his team's scoring that night (the score was 169-147). Of course, the astounding thing was that Chamberlain shot 28 of 32 from the free throw line - he normally shot free throws about as good as Shaquille O'Neal.

Actually, Chamberlain's 55 rebounds in one game is more impressive than than his 100 points in one game.

LeBrad said:
If you are hung up on the rankings, Seattle came out of a terrible division and had the same record as a team the Steelers just dominated. The Steelers lost 2 overtime games that Roethlisberger did not play in. If he played and they won those two games, the two teams would have had the same records. Also, the Superbowl is not in Seattle. The Seahawks are going to get walloped.
Probably the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

ifs ands or buts

whats IF carson palmer didn't get hurt
what IF big ben didn't make that tackle
IFs Ands or Buts are just talk
almost everyone picked corolina to win the superbowl this year
no one couldn't stop steve smith this whole year
seatle beat the crap out of corolina n shut down steve smith

i'm not taking anything away from pitt all I'm saying is that in week 13-14 they were in the 8th seed looking out, but SD lost to the cheifs which helped the the steelers

when seatle has been the number 1 team in the nfc this whole year and yet there underdogs... jus shows how stupid these odd makers are

Hey if these odd makers are stupid, I highly suggest you cash in.

jus shows how stupid these odd makers are
If they're so stupid, why are they the ones driving giant Lexuses with wreaths on them?
TMNT said:
ifs ands or buts
whats IF carson palmer didn't get hurt
what IF big ben didn't make that tackle
IFs Ands or Buts are just talk
almost everyone picked corolina to win the superbowl this year
no one couldn't stop steve smith this whole year
seatle beat the crap out of corolina n shut down steve smith
i'm not taking anything away from pitt all I'm saying is that in week 13-14 they were in the 8th seed looking out, but SD lost to the cheifs which helped the the steelers
I'm not playing the Ifs and Buts game, I'm trying to explain why regular season record, which you seem so hung up on, isn't the definitive stat of a team's greatness. Regular season record means squat at this point. Seattle came out of a weak division. The Steelers have all the momentum, they beat #1, #2, and #3 ON THE ROAD. Seattle barely beat the Redskins and beat an injured Panthers team AT HOME, where everybody says they have the biggest homefield advantage in the NFL. Note: The Superbowl is NOT in Seattle. Hence, Pittsburgh is the favorite.

LeBrad said:
If they're so stupid, why are they the ones driving giant Lexuses with wreaths on them?
Seattle barely beat the Redskins
Without Alexander
and beat an injured Panthers team AT HOME, where everybody says they have the biggest homefield advantage in the NFL.
And oddly enough, before the game, this homefield advantage only made Seattle a 3 1/2 point favorite, with everyone saying that Seattle would "have its hands full". Now, after the game, in which they dominated, the home field advantage was huge and they beat an "injured" team
Note: The Superbowl is NOT in Seattle. Hence, Pittsburgh is the favorite.

Neither is it in Pittsburgh. Though granted, due to proximity, there is likely to be a larger Steeler crowd in the stands. (Unless Paul Allen buys up a ton of tickets and personally flys out his own "home crowd".)

Unless Paul Allen buys up a ton of tickets and personally flys out his own "home crowd".)
You don't think Dan Rooney's thought of that one already ?

LeBrad said:
I'm not playing the Ifs and Buts game, I'm trying to explain why regular season record, which you seem so hung up on, isn't the definitive stat of a team's greatness. Regular season record means squat at this point. Seattle came out of a weak division. The Steelers have all the momentum, they beat #1, #2, and #3 ON THE ROAD. Seattle barely beat the Redskins and beat an injured Panthers team AT HOME, where everybody says they have the biggest homefield advantage in the NFL. Note: The Superbowl is NOT in Seattle. Hence, Pittsburgh is the favorite.

ya the same odd makers who favored the rams over the pats 4 years ago
same odd makers who favored the lakers over the pistons 2 years ago
last time i checked pats n the pistons

and your saying I'm talking about the regular season, but your not? your saying regular has nothing to do with this? are you out of your mind? if it wasn't for there records in the regular seasons they would not be in the playoffs

ya if regular doesn't mean squat why are you mentioning they played in a poor division? why did you mention that the steelers lost 2 regular season games in OT?

when the pats won there superbowls there division stunk like hell also only legit team was the jets who barely made the playoffs...when 49ers won there 5 superbowls there division was horrible also

superbowl is neutral site... neither team is home or away, because there gona be 1/2 steelers fans n 1/2 seahawks fans

You people are completely missing the point. Seattle beat two teams at home, Pittsburgh beat the "top" three teams on the road. I don't think it's unreasonable for the Steelers to be favored despite having a worse regular season record and being in a better division, hence the lower playoff spot.
TMNT said:
and your saying I'm talking about the regular season, but your not? your saying regular has nothing to do with this? are you out of your mind? if it wasn't for there records in the regular seasons they would not be in the playoffs
ya if regular doesn't mean squat why are you mentioning they played in a poor division? why did you mention that the steelers lost 2 regular season games in OT?
when the pats won there superbowls there division stunk like hell also only legit team was the jets who barely made the playoffs...when 49ers won there 5 superbowls there division was horrible also
I'm not saying teams out of weak divisions can't win the Superbowl. I only brought up Pittsburgh's record because you were saying "how can a team that is ranked lower be the favorite?!". I was merely pointing out that playoff ranking is based solely on where the team finishes in their division and conference, which depends on your regular season record and the records of your division mates.
At this point it's all about momentum. What have you done for me lately.

Chuck norris will win... penis yay penis booby booby

LeBrad said:
You people are completely missing the point. Seattle beat two teams at home, Pittsburgh beat the "top" three teams on the road. I don't think it's unreasonable for the Steelers to be favored despite having a worse regular season record and being in a better division, hence the lower playoff spot.
To paraphrase a local sportswriter, "Hey, you can only beat the teams you're scheduled to play" (and where you are scheduled to play them)

That being said, I personally think that Seattle does get a little less respect from the odds makers just due to the fact that they are the Seahawks.:rolleyes:
I'm not saying teams out of weak divisions can't win the Superbowl. I only brought up Pittsburgh's record because you were saying "how can a team that is ranked lower be the favorite?!". I was merely pointing out that playoff ranking is based solely on where the team finishes in their division and conference, which depends on your regular season record and the records of your division mates.
At this point it's all about momentum. What have you done for me lately.

Well, the two weeks between games and all the hoop-la and distractions of the Super Bowl can tend to drain momentum. I think a lot will depend on how each of the teams weather the time between now and then.

Speaking of Pittsburgh, Lemieux just retired, again.

Janus said:
That being said, I personally think that Seattle does get a little less respect from the odds makers just due to the fact that they are the Seahawks.:rolleyes:
That's understandable. Most people have no idea what a seahawk is, plus their uniforms are confusing. Their official uniform colors are "Seahawk blue, Seahawk navy blue, and Seahawk bright green". I've never heard of any of those colors before. What's the difference between Seahawk blue and blue - is Seahawk blue a darker shade or a lighter shade, or is it just plain blue with some drab grey blended in? I'm having a hard time putting a handle on the Seahawk bright green, as well. It's not exactly neon green - it's more like a neon greenish grey with just a hint of yellow.

Edit: When I think about it, didn't we have a thread about what would happen if someone invented a new color?

Last edited:
I voted "seahawks" when this thread was started, because I knew nothing about whatever the thread subject was and I wanted to screw up the statistics. What do you know.

I am going to say Steelers by 10, maybe 27-17.

1. What factors are considered when making Superbowl predictions?

When making Superbowl predictions, several factors are taken into account. These include the team's performance throughout the season, their current roster and injuries, their strength of schedule, and their past Superbowl history.

2. How accurate are Superbowl predictions?

Superbowl predictions can vary in accuracy, as they are based on a combination of data and analysis. However, they are not always 100% accurate as there are many variables that can affect the outcome of a game.

3. Can past Superbowl performances predict future outcomes?

Past Superbowl performances can provide some insight into a team's potential success, but it is not a guarantee. Teams can change drastically from year to year, and other factors such as injuries and coaching changes can also impact their performance.

4. How do computer models and algorithms contribute to Superbowl predictions?

Computer models and algorithms use historical data and statistical analysis to make predictions about the outcome of a game. They can take into account various factors such as team statistics, player performance, and weather conditions to generate a prediction.

5. Are there any unexpected factors that can influence Superbowl predictions?

While many factors are considered when making Superbowl predictions, there are always unexpected variables that can impact the outcome of a game. These can include last-minute injuries, unexpected weather conditions, or even a team's mindset on game day.