Superconductors and spacetime question

In summary, a dream led Drakkath to think that superconductors could generate their own spacetime, which might explain why they can levitate. However, this idea is not supported by real science and is easily dismissed.
Billy Maxwell
I am not a physicist and don't understand a lot of it, I can't do maths, but in all other areas I consider myself an above average educated civilian.

I had a strange dream and it got me thinking. Has anyone ever done a synchronized atomic clock test with a superconducting element? Like placing an atomic clock in an active superconducting field. Could it be possible that one of the properties of a superconductor is that the field it creates doesn't have the same spacetime properties as local spacetime around it?

Could this be why a superconductor can levitate and ignore gravity within it's localized field because it's generating it's own spacetime or an altered spacetime field? If I'm saying something stupid, or already discussed, I apologize, but can someone who understands the actual physics let me know if this idea is valid or have any merit? It's hard searching for physics concepts when I don't know what to look for... That's why I'm asking here. I've seen articles and papers on black holes/spacetime being like superconductors, superconductors generating curves in spacetime, etc... but nothing I've seen talks about wether or not the spacetime in a superconducting field is normal.

I'd like to think that maybe my idea no matter how retarded may spark a bit of an actual physics idea in someone who can do something. Because if a superconducting field can alter spacetime, FTL travel may be possible.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What is a "superconducting field"?

I did my PhD studying superconductors, and I've never come across such a teminology. You might also want to review the PF rules before you go much further.

Zz.

Billy Maxwell said:
Could this be why a superconductor can levitate and ignore gravity within it's localized field because it's generating it's own spacetime or an altered spacetime field?

No. The effect due to two things. The first is called diamagnetic levitation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation#Diamagnetic_levitation
The second is called flux pinning: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flux_pinning

The effects are only strong only in superconductors because they are near-perfect diamagnets and completely expel an external magnetic field. This is perfectly explained with current theory and has nothing to do with "generating its own spacetime". That's not possible anyways. Spacetime isn't generated by anything. Nor is spacetime able to be altered in such a way as to levitate a magnet.

Billy Maxwell said:
I've seen articles and papers on black holes/spacetime being like superconductors, superconductors generating curves in spacetime, etc... but nothing I've seen talks about wether or not the spacetime in a superconducting field is normal.

At best, those are simplifications used by scientists to make modeling things easier. At worst, they are nonsensical articles that have little-to-nothing to do with real science. In any case, spacetime is not a superconductor.

Billy Maxwell said:
Because if a superconducting field can alter spacetime, FTL travel may be possible.

Discussion of FTL travel is not allowed in the technical forums, it is only allowed as part of world-building in the sci-fi writing forum. Please see PF Terms and Rules for a list of banned topics.

Likes Billy Maxwell
Drakkith said:
No. The effect due to two things. The first is called diamagnetic levitation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation#Diamagnetic_levitation
The second is called flux pinning: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flux_pinning

The effects are only strong only in superconductors because they are near-perfect diamagnets and completely expel an external magnetic field. This is perfectly explained with current theory and has nothing to do with "generating its own spacetime". That's not possible anyways. Spacetime isn't generated by anything. Nor is spacetime able to be altered in such a way as to levitate a magnet.
At best, those are simplifications used by scientists to make modeling things easier. At worst, they are nonsensical articles that have little-to-nothing to do with real science. In any case, spacetime is not a superconductor.
Discussion of FTL travel is not allowed in the technical forums, it is only allowed as part of world-building in the sci-fi writing forum. Please see PF Terms and Rules for a list of banned topics.

Thanks, a bunch Drakkath, that's what I was looking for. I'll read the link you posted.

I had read the introductory email and didn't have that link. I apologize by I missing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Billy Maxwell said:
Thanks, a bunch Drakkath, that's what I was looking for. I'll read the link you posted.

I had read the introductory email and didn't have that link. I apologize by I missing it.

No problem.

Unfortunately the content in your first post is likely to generate nonsensical and crackpottish replies that we'd have to deal with, so I'm going to keep this thread locked. If you have any specific questions on superconductors, the Meissner effect, flux pinning, or any other mainstream science topic please feel free to start a new thread.

Likes Billy Maxwell

What are superconductors?

Superconductors are materials that have zero electrical resistance when cooled below a certain temperature, called the critical temperature. This allows them to conduct electricity with no loss of energy, making them highly efficient for use in various applications.

How do superconductors work?

Superconductors work by allowing electrons to move through the material without any resistance due to the formation of Cooper pairs. These pairs are formed when the electrons interact with the lattice of the material, creating a synchronized flow of electrons.

What is the critical temperature of superconductors?

The critical temperature of superconductors varies depending on the material, but typically it is below 20 K (-253.15 °C). However, researchers have discovered materials that can exhibit superconducting properties at higher temperatures, such as copper oxides with critical temperatures above 100 K (-173.15 °C).

How are superconductors used in technology?

Superconductors have many practical applications, including in medical imaging (MRI), magnetic levitation trains, and particle accelerators. They are also used in the production of strong magnetic fields for research purposes and in power grids to reduce energy loss during transmission.

What is the connection between superconductors and spacetime?

There is a theoretical connection between superconductors and spacetime due to the phenomenon of quantum entanglement. It is believed that superconductors may exhibit properties similar to those observed in black holes, such as the ability to bend spacetime. However, this connection is still being studied and is not fully understood.