Calculating Heat Gained by Supercooled Water

• Thread starter gianeshwar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary: Dividing both equations by 10 and setting them equal to each other, we get$$-8m+M=0$$or $$M=8m$$Substituting back into the original equations,$$80m=-80m$$and$$m=M/9$$In summary, we can find the heat gained by the remaining water by considering the heat of fusion of water and the change in internal energy of the system. By setting the heat lost and gained equal to each other, we can find the ratio of the mass of ice to the original mass of supercooled water. This can then be used to find the mass of the lump formed and the final temperature of the mixture.
gianeshwar
My argument is that heat lost by lump of mass converted to ice will be gained by remaining water. But how do I find heat gained ?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the concept of heat of fusion? The freezing ice gives up its heat of fusion, which will warm the remaining water. The heat of fusion of water is given in the link.

Likes Lnewqban
The system is assumed to be insulated so that the change in internal energy from the initial state to the final state must be zero. Plus, the problem statement strongly implies that there will be both ice and liquid water present in the final state. What temperature do you think that mixture would be at?

Likes gianeshwar
Chestermiller said:
The system is assumed to be insulated so that the change in internal energy from the initial state to the final state must be zero. Plus, the problem statement strongly implies that there will be both ice and liquid water present in the final state. What temperature do you think that mixture would be at?
This temperature cannot be found here. If I assume this temperature 0 degree,I get answer as 1/9 .But,I am doubtful.

How did you arrive at 1/9? Please show us your work. I think that you did not take into account the heat of fusion of water.

phyzguy said:
How did you arrive at 1/9? Please show us your work. I think that you did not take into account the heat of fusion of water.
Let M is original supercooled water and m is mass of lump formed.
Heat lost 80 m
Heat gained(M-m)(0-(-10))
So m/M=1/9

gianeshwar said:
Let M is original supercooled water and m is mass of lump formed.
Heat lost 80 m
Heat gained(M-m)(0-(-10))
So m/M=1/9
The part that became ice also increased in temperature from -10 to zero.

Likes jbriggs444 and gianeshwar
The initial and final states of the system are:

Initial: M grams of liquid water at -10 C
Final: m grams of ice and (M-m) grams of liquid water at 0 C

If we take as the reference state for zero internal energy, liquid water at 0 C, then the internal energies of the initial and final states are:

Initial: ##U=M(-10-0)=-10 M\ calories##
Final: ##U=-80 m+(M-m)(0-0)=-80m\ calories##

So, $$-80m=-10M$$

This, of course, can also be done by taking as the reference state for zero internal energy, liquid water at -10 C. In this case,

Initial: ##U=M(-10-(-10))=0\ calories##
Final: ##U=m(0-(-10))-80m+(M-m)(0-(-10))=-80m+10M\ calories##

So,$$-80m+10M=0$$

1. What is supercooled water?

Supercooled water is water that is cooled below its freezing point without actually freezing. It remains in a liquid state due to the absence of impurities or disturbances that would normally trigger the freezing process.

2. How is the heat gained by supercooled water calculated?

The heat gained by supercooled water can be calculated by using the formula Q = m * c * ΔT, where Q is the heat gained, m is the mass of the water, c is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature from the initial state to the final state.

3. What factors affect the heat gained by supercooled water?

The heat gained by supercooled water can be affected by factors such as the initial temperature of the water, the mass of the water, the specific heat capacity of water, and the ambient temperature of the surroundings.

4. How does the heat gained by supercooled water compare to regular water?

The heat gained by supercooled water is generally higher than that of regular water. This is because supercooled water has a lower initial temperature and therefore requires more heat to reach its freezing point compared to regular water at room temperature.

5. Why is it important to calculate the heat gained by supercooled water?

Calculating the heat gained by supercooled water is important for various scientific and practical reasons. It can help in understanding the properties of water and its behavior at different temperatures. It is also crucial in industries such as refrigeration and cryogenics, where supercooled water is used in various processes.