Superellipse and a good coordinate system

In summary: Somebody help me!In summary, the coordinate system for the particular superellipse is x = r\cos{\varphi}y = r\sin{\varphi} where r is the radius of the ellipse. The tangent vector at the point (r,\varphi) is given by:\frac{\partial \mathbf{w}}{\partial \varphi} = \frac{r}{\sin \varphi \cos \varphi} (-\frac{A\, \sin^2 \varphi}{n} [\cos \varphi]^{\frac{1}{n}} \mathbf{e}_1 + \frac{B\, \cos^2 \
traianus
Hello guys, at the link

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Superellipse.html

you can find the definition of superellipse. Now consider the particular super ellipse

[tex]\frac{x^{2n}}{A^{2n}} +\frac{y^{2n}}{B^{2n}} = 1 [/tex]

In which A,B, are constant and n is a positive integer.
What is the coordinate system that has two families of curves in which one represents the superellipse and the other one is perpendicular to it? In the particular case of A = B, n = 1, the coordinate system is

[tex]x = r\cos{\varphi}[/tex]
[tex]y = r\sin{\varphi}[/tex]

If A is different than B but still n =1, the coordinate system is similar but it involves also hyperbolic sine and cosine and one family of curves is the generic ellipse and the other family is the generic hyperbola and they are perpendicular to each other, like it happens in the polar coordinates. So, is there a similar curvilinear coordinate system for the particular superellipse I described?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What about:

[tex]x = A (\cos \varphi)^{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]
[tex]y = B (\sin \varphi)^{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]

?

This is a parametric representation of the superellipse, not a coordinate system. In fact, you have only a "free" parameter [tex]\varphi[/tex] and you must have two parameters, like for polar coordinates, where you have [tex]\varphi[/tex] and [tex]r[/tex].

Ok...so consider then:

[tex]x = A\, r [\cos \varphi]^{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]
[tex]y = B\, r [\sin \varphi]^{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]

from which we then get:

[tex]\frac{x^{2n}}{A^{2n}} +\frac{y^{2n}}{B^{2n}} = r^{2n}[/tex]

Let [itex]\{\mathbf{e}_1, \mathbf{e}_2} \}[/itex] form an orthonormal basis for the rectangular coordinate system and let [itex]\mathbf{w} = x\, \mathbf{e}_1 + y\, \mathbf{e}_2\;[/itex].

So then,

[tex]\mathbf{w} = r (A [\cos \varphi]^{\frac{1}{n}} \mathbf{e}_1 + B [\sin \varphi]^{\frac{1}{n}} \mathbf{e}_2)[/tex]

To find a tangent vector to some superellipse given by fixed [itex]r\,[/itex], we find:

[tex]\frac{\partial \mathbf{w}}{\partial \varphi} = \frac{r}{\sin \varphi \cos \varphi} (-\frac{A\, \sin^2 \varphi}{n} [\cos \varphi]^{\frac{1}{n}} \mathbf{e}_1 + \frac{B\, \cos^2 \varphi}{n} [\sin \varphi]^{\frac{1}{n}} \mathbf{e}_2)[/tex]

And I have no idea where I'm going with this but I'm having fun with the TeX stuff :p

It is not difficult to find a curvilinear coordinate system, the difficulty is to find one in which the two curves that you obtain when you set one parameter constant are perpendicular to each other. See for example the link

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EllipticCylindricalCoordinates.html

From which it appears clear that the two families of curves (ellipses and hyperbolas) are perpendicular in each point they intercept. My desire is to find the analytical expressions for the curve similar to the link I posted. But instead of ellipses I have a particular kind of superellipses in which n is positive integer (see previous equation).
Notice that when you change superellipse, A,B change as well, like in polar coordinate system, when you move from a circle to another one r changes.

Last edited:
Is this topic so difficult? Nobody knows? Please help me if you can!

So far, we obtained the parametric representaion. Nobody knows better? Should I give up? Is not here any expert?

Nobody in this forum is able to help me? Can you please tell me another forum where I can ask the same question?

Come on, please!

1. What is a superellipse?

A superellipse is a geometric shape that is a combination of an ellipse and a rectangle. It is defined by the equation |x/a|^n + |y/b|^n = 1, where n is a positive number and a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse.

2. What makes a superellipse a "good" coordinate system?

A superellipse is considered a "good" coordinate system because it allows for a more efficient use of space compared to traditional rectangular coordinates. It also has a consistent shape and symmetry, making it useful for geometric calculations and mapping.

3. How is a superellipse different from a regular ellipse?

A superellipse is a combination of an ellipse and a rectangle, while a regular ellipse is a curved shape that is defined by its two foci and the distance between them. Superellipses have sharper corners and straighter edges compared to regular ellipses.

4. What are the applications of using a superellipse and a good coordinate system?

Superellipses and good coordinate systems are commonly used in architecture, design, and urban planning. They can also be used in graphic design and data visualization, as well as in mathematical and scientific calculations.

5. Is a superellipse the most efficient coordinate system?

No, a superellipse is not necessarily the most efficient coordinate system. It is just one of many possible coordinate systems that can be used. The efficiency of a coordinate system depends on the specific application and the needs of the user.