Superhard Potential energy/circular motion problem

In summary: This proves that the tension in the cord at the lowest point exceeds the tension in the cord at the highest point by six times the weight of the ball.
brendan3eb

Homework Statement

A ball is tied to a cord and set in rotation in a vertical circle. Prove that the tension in the cord at the lowest point exceeds the tension in the cord at the highest point by six times the weight of the ball.

Homework Equations

U1+K1=U2+K2
F=mv^2/r
a=-V^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

From U1+K1=U2+K2 I get:
(1/2)mv^2=2mgr+(1/2)mv2^2

I also took a look at the forces to get:
T1=mg-mv^2/r
and
T2=-mv^2/r-mg

I have tried substituting all sorts of ways, but have been unable to prove what is asked for. I asked my teacher for help, but he said that I was on the right track and I just had to keep plugging stuff in.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me like it would only differ by twice the weight of the ball.

By the way, check your values for the tension, remembering that tension is a scalar.Oh I see; nvm I was being dumb.

Last edited:
brendan3eb said:

Homework Statement

A ball is tied to a cord and set in rotation in a vertical circle. Prove that the tension in the cord at the lowest point exceeds the tension in the cord at the highest point by six times the weight of the ball.

Homework Equations

U1+K1=U2+K2
F=mv^2/r
a=-V^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

From U1+K1=U2+K2 I get:
(1/2)mv^2=2mgr+(1/2)mv2^2

I also took a look at the forces to get:
T1=mg-mv^2/r
and
T2=-mv^2/r-mg

I have tried substituting all sorts of ways, but have been unable to prove what is asked for. I asked my teacher for help, but he said that I was on the right track and I just had to keep plugging stuff in.
Your plus and minus signs are all messed up. At the top of the circle, the centripetal acceleration is down, therefore, the net centripetal force must be down, and T and mg act in the same direction (down). At the bottom of the circle, the centripetal acceleration is upward, the net force must be up, and since T acts up and mg acts down, T must be greater than mg. Continue to use Newton 2 and conservation of energy, and keep on plugging once you've corrected your signage. The answer you are trying to prove is correct.

I corrected the signs to get

T1=m(g+v1^2/r)
and
T2=m(V2^2/R-g)

I set T1 over T2 and I plugged 4gr + v2^2 in for V1^2 to get:

(5g+v2^2/r)/(v2^2/r-g)

I am still plugging in different values right now, but I am posting this because I think I may have the wrong expression as nothing seems to be working out.

brendan3eb said:
I corrected the signs to get

T1=m(g+v1^2/r)
and
T2=m(V2^2/R-g)

I set T1 over T2 and I plugged 4gr + v2^2 in for V1^2 to get:

(5g+v2^2/r)/(v2^2/r-g)

I am still plugging in different values right now, but I am posting this because I think I may have the wrong expression as nothing seems to be working out.
You now have the right signage and the right equations, and now it's just algebra. You are trying to show that T1 - T2 = 6mg. So don't set T1 over T2; rather subtract T2 from T1 and use your substitution for v1^2 and you will get
T1 -T2 = 6mg.

1. What is Superhard Potential Energy?

Superhard Potential Energy is a concept in physics that refers to the potential energy of a system that is at its maximum, meaning it cannot increase any further. It is often used in circular motion problems to determine the maximum speed or acceleration of an object.

2. How is Superhard Potential Energy different from regular Potential Energy?

Regular Potential Energy refers to the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state, while Superhard Potential Energy specifically refers to the maximum potential energy of a system. This means that regular Potential Energy can change, while Superhard Potential Energy remains constant.

3. How is Superhard Potential Energy related to circular motion?

In circular motion, the force acting on an object is always perpendicular to its motion. This means that the work done by the force is zero, and the potential energy of the system remains constant. The maximum potential energy in this case is known as Superhard Potential Energy.

4. How do you calculate Superhard Potential Energy?

To calculate Superhard Potential Energy, you need to know the mass of the object, the radius of the circular path, and the maximum speed or acceleration of the object. The formula for Superhard Potential Energy is: U = 1/2 * m * v2 = 1/2 * m * (r * ω)2, where U is the Superhard Potential Energy, m is the mass, v is the maximum speed, r is the radius, and ω is the angular velocity.

5. Why is Superhard Potential Energy important in physics?

Superhard Potential Energy is important because it allows us to determine the maximum potential energy of a system, which can then be used to calculate other important quantities such as the maximum speed or acceleration of an object. It also helps us understand the relationship between forces, energy, and motion in circular systems.