Supersaturated Solution and Crystal Change: Fact or Fiction?

• Thread starter oceanflavored
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks whether a crystal added to a supersaturated solution of itself will change. The book states that this statement is false, as the crystal will grow bigger due to the addition of more crystals. The person asking the question is unsure if the crystal itself changes, and is seeking clarification.
oceanflavored
another satII chem question...

Homework Statement

is the following statement true or false?
when a crystal is added to a supersaturated solution of itself, the crystal does not change.

Homework Equations

none needed, i think!

The Attempt at a Solution

i know, that the addition of the crystal will cause crystallization to occur.
but i didn't know if the crystal itself changed, does it?
...the book says it does, because it says the statement is false.

would appreciate any insight into this!
thanks a lottt :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The crystal will grow bigger.

mit said:
The crystal will grow bigger.

Really? I would think no change...i mean can it really absorb the overflow crystals from teh bottom and grow??

Related to Supersaturated Solution and Crystal Change: Fact or Fiction?

What is a supersaturated solution?

A supersaturated solution is a solution that contains more solute than it can normally hold at a given temperature. This results in an unstable solution that is prone to crystallization or precipitation.

How is a supersaturated solution created?

A supersaturated solution is created by dissolving a solute in a solvent at a high temperature and then slowly cooling the solution down. This causes the solute to remain in the solution even though it would normally precipitate at that temperature.

What is the difference between a supersaturated solution and a saturated solution?

A saturated solution is a solution that contains the maximum amount of solute that can be dissolved at a given temperature. A supersaturated solution contains more solute than a saturated solution, making it an unstable solution.

What are some examples of supersaturated solutions?

One example of a supersaturated solution is a sugar solution. When sugar is dissolved in water at a high temperature and then slowly cooled, it can create a supersaturated solution. Another example is a saltwater solution, where the salt concentration can become supersaturated under certain conditions.

What happens to a supersaturated solution over time?

A supersaturated solution is not stable and will eventually return to a saturated state through the process of crystallization or precipitation. This can be triggered by adding a seed crystal, agitating the solution, or changing the temperature.