Superselection Rules: Pi+ Decay Processes Explained

• Thread starter metroplex021
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rules
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of superselection rules in particle physics and how they relate to the superposition of particles with different electric charges. It is explained that decay processes, such as \pi^+ → μ^+ +\nu_\mu , do not violate these rules because they do not involve a superposition of states. The conversation also touches on the idea of neutrino mixing and whether it violates superselection rules, with the conclusion that it does not.
metroplex021
I was just reading that because of superselection rules we cannot superpose two particles with different electric charges. But when I look in my particles physics books it seems there are decay processes that do this all the time: consider [itex]\pi^+ → μ^+ +\nu_\mu [/itex], for example. Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
metroplex021 said:
I was just reading that because of superselection rules we cannot superpose two particles with different electric charges. But when I look in my particles physics books it seems there are decay processes that do this all the time: consider [itex]\pi^+ → μ^+ +\nu_\mu [/itex], for example. Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Thanks a lot!

I thought that the rule was that there cannot be a superposition [itex]|\Psi\rangle = \alpha |A\rangle + \beta |B\rangle[/itex] with the total charge in [itex]|A\rangle[/itex] unequal to the total charge in [itex] |B\rangle[/itex]. A decay such as the one in your example doesn't violate that.

But the antimuon has positive charge, and the neutrino no charge, no?

You're misunderstanding the meaning of the word "superposition". A state with a muon AND a neutrino is not a superposition. A superposition would be a state that is maybe a muon OR maybe a neutrino.

As stevendaryl illustrated, the state has probability |α|2 of being |A> and probability |β|2 of being |B>. This can't happen if |A> and |B> have different total charge.

Thanks. So in the decay above -- which I've written down just as you see it in the textbooks -- represents a mixed state, not a coherent superposition?

And what about when we mix quarks as in the CKM matrix -- is that a mixed state or a superposition also? Thanks a lot!

metroplex021 said:
So in the decay above -- which I've written down just as you see it in the textbooks -- represents a mixed state, not a coherent superposition?
Schematically, if you have a pion state [itex]|\pi^+\rangle[/itex] and let it evolve in time, you get something like [itex]α(t)|\pi^+\rangle + β(t)|μ^+\rangle⊗|\nu_\mu\rangle + γ(t)|e^+\rangle⊗|\nu_e\rangle + ...[/itex] If you perform a measurement on this superposition state, your final state will be one of the terms. Each of them is a definite state, not a mixture. For example, the term you were discussing is a state where you have exactly one anti-muon and one myon neutrino.

metroplex021 said:
And what about when we mix quarks as in the CKM matrix -- is that a mixed state or a superposition also?
If you apply a matrix to a state vector you get a new state vector. You can't get statistical mixtures this way. In order to get them you need a so-called super operator: an operator which takes a state operator (density matrix) to another state operator. Such super operators become necessary only in open quantum systems.

Thanks Kith -- especially for your explanation of what's going on when we represent the pion decay in that way. Final question: when we represent neutrino mixing as sums of neutrinos of different flavors, are we making a superposition precluded by superselection rules then?

Thanks again!

metroplex021 said:
Thanks Kith -- especially for your explanation of what's going on when we represent the pion decay in that way.
I've often found it useful to relate things from particle physics and QFT as much as possible to what I already knew from ordinary QM. A very simple but nevertheless important realization was that things like the pion are not physical systems like a hydrogen atom, but specific states of such systems. So in standard QM notation, π+ and ρ+ would be written |π+> and |ρ+> just like we write |1s> and |1p> for hydrogen states.

metroplex021 said:
Final question: when we represent neutrino mixing as sums of neutrinos of different flavors, are we making a superposition precluded by superselection rules then?
No. Ordinary selection rules are often only approximately true because we use "wrong" idealized observables and neglect more subtle effects. Superselection rules on the other hand have to be strictly obeyed. Which rule do you think is violated by neutrino mixing?

Hmm... I guess I thought that the different neutrinos have different properties, and as such couldn't be superposed any more than two particles with different charges can. But I guess they only differ in their 'generations' (leaving aside any mass differences). So maybe neutrino mass mixing doesn't violate any superselection rules after all. Thanks for you input kith!

1. What are superselection rules?

Superselection rules are a set of principles that dictate which quantum states are allowed in a physical system. They arise from symmetries of the system and determine which observables are conserved and which are not. This helps to simplify the description of complex quantum systems.

2. How do superselection rules apply to Pi+ decay processes?

In the case of Pi+ decay, the superselection rule is the conservation of the electric charge. This means that the total charge of the initial particles (Pi+ and neutron) must equal the total charge of the final particles (positron and neutrino). This rule helps to determine which decay processes are allowed and which are not.

3. What is the significance of Pi+ decay processes?

Pi+ decay processes are important because they provide a way for unstable particles to transform into more stable ones. This helps to maintain the balance of particles and antiparticles in the universe and plays a crucial role in understanding the fundamental laws of nature.

4. How are superselection rules related to the laws of conservation?

The superselection rules are closely related to the laws of conservation, such as the conservation of energy, momentum, and charge. These rules determine which observables are conserved and which can change during a physical process. This helps to simplify the calculations and descriptions of complex systems.

5. Can superselection rules be violated?

No, superselection rules cannot be violated as they are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of physical systems. However, in certain extreme conditions, such as in high-energy particle collisions, these rules may appear to be violated due to the complexity of the interactions involved.