1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supose that G is a finite abelian group that does not contain a subgro

1. Apr 20, 2014 #1
    let us assume G is not cyclic. Let a be an element of G of maximal order. Since G is not cyclic we have <a>≠G. Let b be an element in G, but not in the cyclic subgroup generated by a.

O(a) = m and O(b) = n where O() refers tothe orders. . then how can we use this to construct a subgroup of G isomorphic to Zp×Zp?

Help will be appreciated. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you prove that if the prime factorization of |G| is ##p_1 p_2 p_3...p_n## and all of the primes ##p_i## are different, then G is cyclic? If two are the same, then what?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  4. Apr 20, 2014 #3
    If |G| =p1p2....pn and all of the primes are different, then |H| will be one of those primes. Since a group of prime order is cyclic, then H will be cyclic in that case . Infact all proper subgroups of G will be cyclic.
    but i am not sure how to prove G as cyclic with this data..

5. Apr 21, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What does the fundamental theorem of Abelian groups tell you?

6. Apr 21, 2014 #5
    the book which i am reading ( GAllian ) has not introduced this topic as of yet. In fact, not even normal and factor groups. i am on the chapter on external direct products.

7. Apr 21, 2014 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Where exactly in Gallian is this?

8. Apr 21, 2014 #7
    Supplementary exercise for chapters 5 - 8 . Question no. 50 . Gallian 7/e contemporary guide to abstract algebra

9. Apr 21, 2014 #8
    and pg. no 50

10. Apr 21, 2014 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK. So let ##G## be finite abelian group such that ##G## does not contain a subgroup isomorphic to ##\mathbb{Z}_p\times \mathbb{Z}_p## for any prime. Consider the prime factorization ##|G|= p_1^{a_1} ... p_k^{a_k}:= p_1^{a_1}m##.

Define ##H = \{x\in G~\vert~\text{order of}~H~\text{divides}~p_1^{a_1}\}## and ##K = \{x\in G~\vert~\text{order of}~K~\text{divides}~m\}##.

Start by proving the following:
    1) ##H## and ##K## are subgroups of ##G##.
    2) For any ##x\in G## and integers ##s## and ##t##, we have ##x^{sp^k}\in H## and ##x^{tm}\in K##. Deduce that ##G=HK##.
    3) Show that ##H\cap K = \{e\}##.
    4) Find ##|H|## and ##|K|##.
    5) Prove that ##H## is cyclic.
    6) Prove that ##G## is the product of cyclic groups
    7) Prove the result.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  11. Apr 21, 2014 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your definition of K doesn't make much sense. I assume you mean ##K = \{x\in G~\vert~\text{order of}~x~\text{divides}~m\}##.

12. Apr 21, 2014 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, sorry!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted