Supose that G is a finite abelian group that does not contain a subgro

In summary: I meant ##K = \{x\in G~\vert~\text{order of}~x~\text{divides}~m\}##.Yes, sorry! I meant ##K = \{x\in G~\vert~\text{order of}~x~\text{divides}~m\}##.
vish_maths
let us assume G is not cyclic. Let a be an element of G of maximal order. Since G is not cyclic we have <a>≠G. Let b be an element in G, but not in the cyclic subgroup generated by a.

O(a) = m and O(b) = n where O() refers tothe orders. . then how can we use this to construct a subgroup of G isomorphic to Zp×Zp?

Help will be appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 397
Physics news on Phys.org
vish_maths said:
let us assume G is not cyclic. Let a be an element of G of maximal order. Since G is not cyclic we have <a>≠G. Let b be an element in G, but not in the cyclic subgroup generated by a.

O(a) = m and O(b) = n where O() refers tothe orders. . then how can we use this to construct a subgroup of G isomorphic to Zp×Zp?

Help will be appreciated. Thank you

Can you prove that if the prime factorization of |G| is ##p_1 p_2 p_3...p_n## and all of the primes ##p_i## are different, then G is cyclic? If two are the same, then what?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
If |G| =p1p2...pn and all of the primes are different, then |H| will be one of those primes. Since a group of prime order is cyclic, then H will be cyclic in that case . In fact all proper subgroups of G will be cyclic.
but i am not sure how to prove G as cyclic with this data..

vish_maths said:
If |G| =p1p2...pn and all of the primes are different, then |H| will be one of those primes. Since a group of prime order is cyclic, then H will be cyclic in that case . In fact all proper subgroups of G will be cyclic.
but i am not sure how to prove G as cyclic with this data..

What does the fundamental theorem of Abelian groups tell you?

the book which i am reading ( GAllian ) has not introduced this topic as of yet. In fact, not even normal and factor groups. i am on the chapter on external direct products.

vish_maths said:
the book which i am reading ( GAllian ) has not introduced this topic as of yet. In fact, not even normal and factor groups. i am on the chapter on external direct products.

Where exactly in Gallian is this?

Supplementary exercise for chapters 5 - 8 . Question no. 50 . Gallian 7/e contemporary guide to abstract algebra

and pg. no 50

OK. So let ##G## be finite abelian group such that ##G## does not contain a subgroup isomorphic to ##\mathbb{Z}_p\times \mathbb{Z}_p## for any prime. Consider the prime factorization ##|G|= p_1^{a_1} ... p_k^{a_k}:= p_1^{a_1}m##.

Define ##H = \{x\in G~\vert~\text{order of}~H~\text{divides}~p_1^{a_1}\}## and ##K = \{x\in G~\vert~\text{order of}~K~\text{divides}~m\}##.

Start by proving the following:
1) ##H## and ##K## are subgroups of ##G##.
2) For any ##x\in G## and integers ##s## and ##t##, we have ##x^{sp^k}\in H## and ##x^{tm}\in K##. Deduce that ##G=HK##.
3) Show that ##H\cap K = \{e\}##.
4) Find ##|H|## and ##|K|##.
5) Prove that ##H## is cyclic.
6) Prove that ##G## is the product of cyclic groups
7) Prove the result.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
micromass said:
OK. So let ##G## be finite abelian group such that ##G## does not contain a subgroup isomorphic to ##\mathbb{Z}_p\times \mathbb{Z}_p## for any prime. Consider the prime factorization ##|G|= p_1^{a_1} ... p_k^{a_k}:= p_1^{a_1}m##.

Define ##H = \{x\in G~\vert~\text{order of}~H~\text{divides}~p_1^{a_1}\}## and ##K = \{x\in G~\vert~\text{order of}~K~\text{divides}~m\}##.

Start by proving the following:
1) ##H## and ##K## are subgroups of ##G##.
2) For any ##x\in G## and integers ##s## and ##t##, we have ##x^{sp^k}\in H## and ##x^{tm}\in K##. Deduce that ##G=HK##.
3) Show that ##H\cap K = \{e\}##.
4) Find ##|H|## and ##|K|##.
5) Prove that ##H## is cyclic.
6) Prove that ##G## is the product of cyclic groups
7) Prove the result.

Your definition of K doesn't make much sense. I assume you mean ##K = \{x\in G~\vert~\text{order of}~x~\text{divides}~m\}##.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
Your definition of K doesn't make much sense. I assume you mean ##K = \{x\in G~\vert~\text{order of}~x~\text{divides}~m\}##.

Yes, sorry!

1. What is a finite abelian group?

A finite abelian group is a mathematical structure consisting of a finite set of elements along with an operation that combines any two elements to form a third element. This operation is commutative, meaning the order in which elements are combined does not matter. Abelian groups also have an identity element and every element has an inverse.

2. What does it mean for a group to contain a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that also forms a group under the same operation. This means that the elements in the subgroup can be combined using the same operation as the larger group to produce new elements in the subgroup.

3. Why is it important that G is abelian?

The abelian property of a group implies that the group is commutative, meaning the order of elements does not affect the result of the operation. This makes it easier to work with and analyze the group, and many important theorems and results are specific to abelian groups.

4. What is the significance of G not containing a subgroup?

If G does not contain a subgroup, it is known as a simple group. Simple groups are important in mathematics because they are the fundamental building blocks of more complex groups. They also have many interesting properties and have been extensively studied by mathematicians.

5. Can you provide an example of a finite abelian group that does not contain a subgroup?

Yes, the cyclic group of prime order p, denoted by Zp, is a finite abelian group that does not contain a proper subgroup. This group consists of p elements, where the operation is addition modulo p. For example, Z5 = {0, 1, 2, 3, 4} with the operation of addition modulo 5. This group is simple because it does not contain any proper subsets that form a group under addition modulo 5.