Surface Area of Plane Inside Cylinder: Solved

In summary, the problem is to find the area of the surface of the part of the plane x + 2y + z = 4 that lies inside of the cylinder x^{2} + y^{2}=4. The integral A(S) is used to calculate this area, with dA representing the area element and z representing the z-value of the plane and cylinder. Setting the two equations equal to each other is not necessary, as the equation of the plane relates to the z-value and the cylinder relates to dA. Transformation to cylinder coordinates can make this integral easier to solve. Additionally, integration in polar coordinates may be useful due to the base of the cylinder being integrated over.
adm_strat
[SOLVED] Surface Area

Homework Statement

Find the area of the surface of the part of the plane x + 2y + z = 4 that lies inside of the cylinder [tex]x^{2} + y^{2}=4[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]A(S)= \int\int_{D} \sqrt{1+( \frac{\partial z}{\partial x})^{2} + +( \frac{\partial z}{\partial y})^{2}} dA [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can tell intuitively that the intersection is a ellipse. When I set the two equations equal to each other I get the equation:

[tex]z= x^{2}-x+y^{2}-2y[/tex]

I am having a brain fart and can't seem to do the double integral. Sorry, its finals week. I know that I need to do a change of variables, but I don't know what since it is an ellipse in [tex]R^{3}[/tex] I can complete the square, but it didn't seem to lead me anywhere useful.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the equation of the plane is:

[tex]x+2y+z=4[/tex]

So, what is the meaning of the symbols in the integral you gave (it is the correct one for calculating the area)? What is dA and what is the exact meaning of z? In looking back to their meaning, you will notice that you do not need to set the two equations equal to each other. The equation of the plane is related to the z value and the cylinder is related to dA. Once you see this, you can set up the integral and calculate it. Consider transformation to cylinder coordinates, it will make things a lot easier.

Because you are integrationg over the base of a cylinder, you might want to put the integral in polar coordinates.

coomast said:
I assume the equation of the plane is:

[tex]x+2y+z=4[/tex]

So, what is the meaning of the symbols in the integral you gave (it is the correct one for calculating the area)? What is dA and what is the exact meaning of z? In looking back to their meaning, you will notice that you do not need to set the two equations equal to each other. The equation of the plane is related to the z value and the cylinder is related to dA. Once you see this, you can set up the integral and calculate it. Consider transformation to cylinder coordinates, it will make things a lot easier.

HallsofIvy said:
Because you are integrationg over the base of a cylinder, you might want to put the integral in polar coordinates.

Indeed HallsofIvy, I meant polar...

Related to Surface Area of Plane Inside Cylinder: Solved

1. What is the formula for finding the surface area of a plane inside a cylinder?

The formula for finding the surface area of a plane inside a cylinder is 2πrh, where r is the radius of the cylinder and h is the height of the plane.

2. How do you find the radius of the cylinder in this scenario?

The radius of the cylinder can be found by dividing the diameter of the cylinder by 2. If the diameter is not given, the radius can also be found by using the Pythagorean theorem to find the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the height of the plane and the radius of the cylinder.

3. Can this formula be used for any sized cylinder and plane?

Yes, this formula can be used for any sized cylinder and plane, as long as the plane is inside the cylinder and has a height that is less than the height of the cylinder.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the surface area in this scenario?

The unit of measurement for the surface area in this scenario is typically square units, such as square inches or square meters.

5. Is there a specific method for solving these types of surface area problems?

Yes, there are specific steps that can be followed to solve surface area problems involving a plane inside a cylinder. These steps include identifying the relevant measurements, using the formula 2πrh to find the surface area, and then checking the answer for accuracy.