Surface charge of an elliptical tube

In summary, to calculate the surface charge density of an elliptic tube, you first need to cut it into thin ellipses and then calculate a linear charge density for an ellipse.
zabzab

Homework Statement

An electric charge q is uniformly dispersed over a surface of elliptical tube with major and minor axis a and b. What is the surface charge density?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I I know that you have to cut the tube into thin ellipses and calculate a linear charge density for an ellipse. Than you sum the thin ellipses together to get a surface charge density of a tube. But I do not know how to calculate a linear charge density of an ellipse.

Physics news on Phys.org
If charge q is dispersed uniformly over a surface with area A, what is the surface charge density?

Thank you for your quick replay voko. Ok, I see your point. Then I did not use the right word (lost in translation). I want calculate the areal charge density of an elliptic tube if we charge it and let the charge disperse on its own. I don’t think that we get the uniform charge density.

Shall we assume that the tube is a conductor?

Ow, of course.

So you have a conducting tube (cylinder) whose cross-section is elliptical. The length of the tube is l, the ellipse's semi-major axes are a and b. Charge q is placed on the tube. Find the distribution of the charge on the tube.

How would you approach this?

The distribution along the length of the tube is uniform if we consider a very long tube. So we can calculate a linear charge density of a thin elliptic slice and simply multiply that with the length of the tube. Here is where I have a problem. How to calculate a linear charge density of an elliptic slice.

I assume that the electric field inside is zero. Because the opposing sides of the ellipse cancel each other out. Now I don’t now haw to continue.

What is surface charge of an elliptical tube?

The surface charge of an elliptical tube refers to the distribution of electric charge on the surface of the tube. It is a measure of the net electric charge present on the surface of the tube.

How is surface charge of an elliptical tube calculated?

The surface charge of an elliptical tube can be calculated by using the formula Q = ε0 * εr * A * V, where Q is the surface charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the material, A is the area of the surface, and V is the voltage applied to the tube.

What factors affect the surface charge of an elliptical tube?

The surface charge of an elliptical tube is affected by the material and geometry of the tube, the voltage applied, and the presence of any external charges or fields.

Why is the surface charge of an elliptical tube important?

The surface charge of an elliptical tube is important because it determines the behavior of the tube in an electric field. It affects the capacitance, electric potential, and electric field strength of the tube, which can have implications in various applications such as particle accelerators and electronic devices.

Can the surface charge of an elliptical tube be manipulated?

Yes, the surface charge of an elliptical tube can be manipulated by changing the material or geometry of the tube, applying different voltages, or using external charges or fields to influence the distribution of charge on the surface.